Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Mental training for fuel efficient driving (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/mental-training-for-fuel-efficient-driving-5248.html)

GasSavers_rGS 06-30-2007 06:11 PM

Mental training for fuel efficient driving

From what I've learned as a newbie to GasSavers is that the modification free method of improved fuel economy is the "change your driving habits" advice. Well, as you probably know by now, dealing with people including yourself has taught you that sometimes habits can be difficult to break or change.

So I thought that I'd start a thread so that those of us who's successfully changed their driving habits towards more fuel efficient ways can help to motivate those who have yet to change by posting slogans or things to remember that would help change the current and future generation of newbies.

I'll start off with...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rGS
The car behind you isn't paying for your gas.

GasSavers_roadrunner 06-30-2007 06:18 PM

Whats The Hurry?
That says so much.

diamondlarry 06-30-2007 07:53 PM

"For those in favor of less dependance on foreign oil, please raise your right foot."

Bill in Houston 07-01-2007 05:53 AM

I love driving. Why hurry to get where I'm going?

rh77 07-01-2007 06:42 AM

Observations

I've transitioned from a pretty aggressive (well, OK -- downright ridiculous) driving style, to the FE-minded drive.

It's like a diet -- if you quit "Cold Turkey" then you're more likely to become frustrated and revert back to the old behavior. It's a lifestyle change...

With that in mind, if you're trying to drive more slowly -- for example, try phasing-in slower top speeds (now-and-then), or traffic light timing. Employing all of the techniques takes some patience...

I'll admit that it's taken me over a year to get comfortable with lower top speeds and driving for that ScanGauge. The biggest thing for me is the idea of holding-up traffic -- I try to stay out of the way when possible (but not always possible).

If you find yourself opening it up on an on-ramp or rush to a destination, it's OK -- that means you're human. After a while, you start seeing that final FE tally drop with that behavior, so you get trained to use technique to maybe make-up for that loss, or just use it most of the time.

What really re-affirms the effort is similar to the following:

Yesterday I was gaining some momentum down a hill on the highway. I started to scrub-off some speed on the uphill side -- meanwhile, a Camry Hybrid flies past in the passing lane at ~85 mph. About 5-minutes later, we all met up at the traffic light on an exit ramp. :) Who got the better FE -- and what time was saved? Yup.

RH77

diamondlarry 07-01-2007 08:06 AM

I have noticed a new problem for me to get used to: I used to get a bit irritated when someone would fly around me like a bat-out- of-h$ll. Now, I find myself getting flustered when the don't go around me right away especially when they are a bit too close for comfort/safety. I have to train myself to remember that maybe, just maybe, they will eventually catch on and learn something. A guy can dream can't he?:p

LxMike 07-01-2007 02:13 PM

I just relax and listen to my oldies while mozying along. Gonna be going on vacation soon with my brother and can't wait to hypermile his car and show him the results.

baddog671 07-01-2007 02:23 PM

Usually I try to drive alittle under the speed limit. My car seems like your going faster than what you really are, so this is still fine for me. If someone starts riding my ***, Ill go the speed limit but not over it. The roads I drive on are usually 25,40, and 50, so I never go real fast anyways.

Also, I tend to drive at odd hours so I don't have to drive in heavy traffic. I can leave alittle bit early for school and avoid the rush, take my time, and avoid stop and go's. If I'm at my mothers house in the next county, I'll leave to come home at night so no one is on the road. If noone was on the roads and I didnt have to worry about cops, I bet I could EOC one road for 15 miles...

minic6 07-01-2007 03:10 PM

It's taken me 7 yrs. to get were I am. Use to be a flat out road rager. A couple of close calls and a change to were I commute helped the transition.

When the commute was to Ypsi. I happened to get behind a guy that worked with me. When we hit 23 he began lane swapping and getting trapped in traffic in the right lane. Yea he was passing on the wrong side. I had found out long ago when there is a sea of taillights ahead of you, you need to start to calm down and cool it. It was fun waving at him when he was trapped. This went on all the way to the I-94 exit to the eng. facility. There was one light before the lot. You guessed it I was right behind him.

When we were inside he said he had been up to 90 and if that person or that had not happened he would have gotten there way before me!???? But it did and he didn't! My mood was fine he was ready to kill! Taught me alot that day.

ma4t 07-03-2007 03:23 AM

Leave early!

M