Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   just bought the scangauge! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/just-bought-the-scangauge-5345.html)

boofighter 07-09-2007 08:57 PM

just bought the scangauge!

found a place in edmonton that sells them, so ran down and picked on up.
did a bit of driving and seems to work well.
have a few questions.
1. what is the standard for taking the MPG reading? is it the highest that you get on the instant setting, or the average for the whole tank, or the average for that trip-day?
well that is the big question. i might have more after.

Bill in Houston 07-10-2007 05:36 AM

It depends on what you are reporting. You can say...
"The highest I saw while cruising at 65 mph was..."
or
"My average today was..."
or
"My average for this tank was..."

boofighter 07-10-2007 07:35 AM

well i guess that i was thinking about the gas log entry.
is that all from tank to tank? as in from full to empty, or are people taking the reading from the scangauge?

GasSavers_StanleyD 07-10-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boofighter (Post 62786)
found a place in edmonton that sells them, so ran down and picked on up.
did a bit of driving and seems to work well.

Boo, how much did you pay for the Scanguage? I knowo they sell for about $169. I wanna get one but Im looking for a sale or discounted price before I bite the bullet

Bill in Houston 07-10-2007 09:07 AM

I only put fills in the gaslog. I think that that is what other people do as well... Put in the number of miles on the tank, and the number of gallons it took to fill.

GasSavers_StanleyD 07-10-2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston (Post 62863)
I only put fills in the gaslog. I think that that is what other people do as well... Put in the number of miles on the tank, and the number of gallons it took to fill.

Thats pretty much exactly what I do. It may not be the most accurate way but Im sure the results are reasonably accurate. Im pretty sure that Scanguage owners could post results for every trip or a multitude of trips but when I get ny scanguage I think I'll still report in the same manner. Reporting midtank may make too many entries in your gaslog. Maybe when I have scanguage I will have scanguage reset for each tank and I can get exact data for gallons used on a tank instead of relying on how much gas is needed to fill car (which will prob always be off by a measureable amount, although not by much)

Rick Rae 07-10-2007 09:45 AM

I remember seeing one gaslog where the person was reporting by trip (don't recall who). "Per fill" seems to be the standard, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyD (Post 62866)
Maybe when I have scanguage I will have scanguage reset for each tank and I can get exact data for gallons used on a tank instead of relying on how much gas is needed to fill car (which will prob always be off by a measureable amount, although not by much)

Well, there's sort of a Catch 22 there, because the Scangauge needs to be calibrated, and you do that based on how much gas is needed to fill the car. :p So, "six of one and half a dozen of the other," as my mom used to say.

I've been through enough fills now that my readout's quite accurate, but I'm still reporting FE based on odo mileage and fill gallons, just because that's how I started my gaslog. Either should work for you though, and no calculations needed if you go with the Scangauge numbers.

Just remember to jot 'em down before you hit the fill-up button! (Been there, done that. :D)

Rick

boofighter 07-10-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyD (Post 62848)
Boo, how much did you pay for the Scanguage? I knowo they sell for about $169. I wanna get one but Im looking for a sale or discounted price before I bite the bullet

well i am not sure where you are from, but i paid 200 for mine. that is in canadian funds. and by the time that you add shipping and the exchange rate to $170US it comes pretty close.

Bill in Houston 07-10-2007 01:10 PM

There is a group buy that you might be able to get in on. Good for $10 off. Search for "group buy" and SGII or scangauge or something like that.