Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   92-95 Civic owners -a Q (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/92-95-civic-owners-a-q-5360.html)

Nerds laugh at me 07-10-2007 04:23 PM

92-95 Civic owners -a Q

I notice that my gas guage barely moves untill I hit around 100 miles on the odometer. It drops almost a good 1/4 inch or so the next time that the car is started, but not really all that drastically when I drive a constant trip of over 100 miles. It only seems to just plummet when I take short trips and restart the car every 20 or so miles. ( And I know that starting the car does not burn up that much fuel )
What is causing this ?
Is the float getting hung up on something ?

thisisntjared 07-10-2007 05:04 PM

my civic would do that. its like the gas gauge is maxed out and it doesnt read almost 3 gallons past the full mark.

Sigifrith 07-10-2007 07:04 PM

Same here. Not a very precise unit.

GasSavers_TomO 07-10-2007 07:13 PM

I forgot the exact name for the type of circuit that honda uses for its fuel gauges....it updates slowly and isn't linear though. It's basically a reference.

jbum 07-11-2007 01:50 AM

same here. it's not for accurate readings, just general status of your fuel amount.

GasSavers_Ryland 07-11-2007 04:36 AM

the reason for the sharp drop after 100 miles when the engine is cold is that your gas is cold as well, if you drive 20 or so miles in a single shot, almost all of your fuel will have passed thru the fuel rail that is bolted to the head of your engine, where it has had a chance to warm up, and then is sent back to your fuel tank, warm fuel expands.

GasSavers_bobski 07-11-2007 05:57 AM

^ I doubt that's it.

Honda uses a simple gauge and wire coil variable resistor, operated by a float. The gauge moves so slowly because it has a fairly weak coil to move the needle, and a volume of viscous fluid tied to the needle shaft to dampen movement. Mild pressure against a thick fluid results in slow progress. If they didn't dampen the reading somehow, the gauge needle would bounce around whenever the fuel sloshed around in the tank.

GasSavers_DaX 07-11-2007 06:51 AM

The gauge is non linear - same phenomenon in 88-91's.

I can typically tell if it's going to be a good gas tank if the needle does not move off the F mark until after at least 100 miles. The first time the needle touches the 1/2 mark is typically a true indicator of half my gas being gone. I watch the gauge like a hawk, and try to make my total tank distance at least twice what the reading is the first time the needle touches the 1/2 mark. Most of the time this works.

GasSavers_Ryland 07-11-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobski (Post 63015)
^ I doubt that's it.

Honda uses a simple gauge and wire coil variable resistor, operated by a float. The gauge moves so slowly because it has a fairly weak coil to move the needle, and a volume of viscous fluid tied to the needle shaft to dampen movement. Mild pressure against a thick fluid results in slow progress. If they didn't dampen the reading somehow, the gauge needle would bounce around whenever the fuel sloshed around in the tank.

look at how much fuel expands when heated even just a few degrees, then get under your car and feel the gas tank, and how cold it is, drive 30 miles or more and feel the gas tank again, it will be warmer, I've done it.

slurp812 07-11-2007 03:07 PM

I have a 94 accord, and the fuel gauge works the same... dont move much at all for first 100 miles...