Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Competition Averages (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/competition-averages-5567.html)

rh77 07-26-2007 05:02 PM

Competition Averages

Background: Brucepick brought-up an excellent point:

The baseline and final averages are taken by averaging the MPG value in the GasLog. In this form, a cumulative value of total miles/kilometers, vs. total gallons is not taken.

A cumulative average seems to be more fair and accurate.

Vote:

1) Keep the Current System
2) Implement the total/cumulative average for the Cycle

This is a public vote. Please provide reasoning for your input. Thanks all!

The Commish

MnFocus 07-26-2007 05:21 PM

Cumulative. Maybe subdivide per quarter so as to see trends by season ?

skewbe 07-26-2007 05:39 PM

I know I'm not playing, but if I understand correctly, the current situation: One tank may have only 3 gallons of "extra good behavior" then that tank would have the same weight as a 15 gallon tank of low mpg?

rh77 07-26-2007 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 65650)
I know I'm not playing, but if I understand correctly, the current situation: One tank may have only 3 gallons of "extra good behavior" then that tank would have the same weight as a 15 gallon tank of low mpg?

Yup...

thisisntjared 07-26-2007 06:30 PM

man just as i expected, nobody voted for the average of mpgs. good.

i thought that they were the cumulative and the cumulative

LxMike 07-26-2007 06:42 PM

I don't think a rules change in mid "season" is right. with the mileage that some get here they would only get 1 fill and it would get posted near end of cycle.

thisisntjared 07-26-2007 06:46 PM

i dont know about you, but i commute all year round... there is no mpg season.

if anything the winter is the mpg season because i cant race and my wife(teacher) is commuting daily again.

Fourthbean 07-26-2007 09:41 PM

I was actually pondering this the other day, and meant to bring it up. But was too lazy. I think we should change to the new system as it does seem more fair, shouldn't be that hard to implement either since everything is pulled straight from the site anyhow.

MnFocus 07-27-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 65672)
i dont know about you, but i commute all year round... there is no mpg season.

if anything the winter is the mpg season because i cant race and my wife(teacher) is commuting daily again.

You have no : spring summer fall or winter in Jersey ? Same temps all year 'round ? How about winter / summer fuel formulations ?

"2) Implement the total/cumulative average for the Cycle" <--- this will help balance what I ask about above .

CO ZX2 07-27-2007 02:28 AM

rh77, Rick,

Guess I'm not understanding this very well. How does the proposed new rule differ from the currently posted Version 2.0 rule quoted below??

Excerpt from current Version 2.0 rules:

Calculations:
6. The ?Final Percentage over EPA? is figured by the cumulative, Gaslog-sourced MPG values vs. the vehicle?s EPA FE-Combined (?Cycle-End Cumulative Percentage Over EPA?)

7. A member?s final calculation is the difference between the Baseline and Cycle-End Cumulative? or ?Improvement? (negative numbers reflect a decrease in efficiency).