Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   got pulled over (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/got-pulled-over-5573.html)

jwxr7 07-27-2007 02:06 PM

got pulled over

On my way home from work today, I looked over and saw a state cop in the lane behind and next to me. I've never had one behind me yet. He slowed and fell in behind me turned on his lights:( . He said he pulled me over because I didn't have a ds mirror, then he noticed my inner one. He thought it needed to be external but didn't know if mine wasn't legal. He didn't ticket me, but suggested I get an exterior one so i don't get pulled over by other cops. He seemed cool. He didn't ask about anything else with my car (surprisingly), he seemed in a hurry so I didn't tell either. I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll have to buy something because my factory one is broken.

cfg83 07-27-2007 02:17 PM

jwxr7 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwxr7 (Post 65786)
On my way home from work today, I looked over and saw a state cop in the lane behind and next to me. I've never had one behind me yet. He slowed and fell in behind me turned on his lights:( . He said he pulled me over because I didn't have a ds mirror, then he noticed my inner one. He thought it needed to be external but didn't know if mine wasn't legal. He didn't ticket me, but suggested I get an exterior one so i don't get pulled over by other cops. He seemed cool. He didn't ask about anything else with my car (surprisingly), he seemed in a hurry so I didn't tell either. I'm not sure what I'll do. I'll have to buy something because my factory one is broken.

Just get the smallest motorcycle mirror you can. That has most of the same characteristics of the expensive racing mirrors. That'll keep the cop happy and you can still have a convex mirror inside the car for more rear-view info.

If he were to ticket you, it should only be a fix-it ticket.

Glad you got a cool cop and no ticket!

CarloSW2

GeekGuyAndy 07-27-2007 02:46 PM

It is illegal in Michigan.

"...all motor vehicles shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the driver's side which shall be positioned to give the driver a rearviewing angle from the driver's side of the vehicle..." emphasis added

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gvv...me=mcl-257-708

Good idea with the tiny mirror, I never thought about that. I'm still trying to find out what mirrors I legally nead (NY laws are way too confusing). I can't find anything saying that blocking the rear is illegal either (boattail!)

VetteOwner 07-27-2007 03:01 PM

just look on ebay. i know for my s-10 i can get some weird funky looking"m3" styled mirrors(very aerodynamic id say) for my truck for $30 a PAIR. depends on what car you have there might be some cheapo aftermarket version around.

ELF 07-27-2007 03:13 PM

Also check out some motorcycle mirrors, they are small, Maybe somewhat of a challenge to mount though.

rh77 07-27-2007 04:12 PM

1" Dental Mirror

I vote for a 1" Dental mirror. The law doesn't state the size, does it? :D

Seriously, I can't recall if there's been a discussion about DHOSRVM and placement or size. Older Japanese cars had them mounted on the fender (probably not too aero savvy), but perhaps somewhere other than stock...

Sorry you got pulled over -- same thing for me this year ended up with a front-plate addition, and thankfully a warning. That was my aero mod :o So much for that :rolleyes:

-Rick

Hockey4mnhs 07-27-2007 04:54 PM

i hate when that happens at least he was cool about it tho

Spule 4 07-27-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 65808)
. Older Japanese cars had them mounted on the fender (probably not too aero savvy), but perhaps somewhere other than stock...

-Rick

Heck, a lot of cars had them there. Wing mirrors rule!!!!!!!!!:D

Well, maybe not on a Metro.

Go to the local boneyard and spend $5 and get one.

When I had my Metro, I almost got a pair of Swift mirrors, MUCH nicer than the Geo units. Sold the car instead.

MetroMPG 07-28-2007 07:41 AM

A folding "flag" style Swift mirror is what's on my car. Compromise over the fixed mirrors that came on the Metros.

I can't tell you how many times I've deployed it from the folded position when I've spotted a police car.

Happy to hear you weren't ticketed though.

GeekGuyAndy 07-28-2007 09:15 AM

Would that be considered a moving violation? I already got one for speeding, and a second would cost thousands more for insurance over the next 3 years. I want to try some mods, but it's not worth risking $$$$.