Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Any "Motorheads" here? (http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/any-motorheads-here-5575.html)

unstable bob 07-27-2007 07:39 PM

Any "Motorheads" here?
 
Just wondering if anyone here has a gas guzzing muscle car they like to take out to waste the gas they save with thieir high MPG vehicle? lol I'm a total motorhead, and I can see the MPG game as another facet of being an automotive enthusiast. It's fun to tinker and experiment to try and gain MPG, just like it is to build horse power. I love engines and their inner workings, and love modern technology. I currently have 2 "muscle" projects to go along with my Cavalier MPG project. My nearest and dearest project is my 73 AMX, which has been in and out of my life since 1996. My long term plan for it is to run open road/top speed events, and I'm shooting for 200+ MPH top speeds.
I have an engine in the works which is based on an 350 LT1 Chevrolet, bored and stroked to 396 CI. I have a set of cylinder heads which are 4 valves per cylinder, but still utilize pushrods and the stock cam location. Each pushrod actuates 2 valves, via a shaft rocker set up. Pretty cool stuff, but very unproven concept. That's why I've been at this engine since 1999. lol
My other project is a 1987 Buick T-Type, equipped with a 3.8 turbocharged/ intercooled V6. It is a former drag car which has been sitting, so it's resurrection has been kinda long and drawn out. I'm doing a lot of suspension work to it, as I want to make it able to hang with sports cars in the twisties, and blow them away on the straightaways. lol I'm also approaching this project from an efficiency standpoint, as the Buick 231 V6 is a well designed engine, and turbocharging is awesome, due to the fact you are making power with a waste product. I'm hoping to see around 450 HP and 25+ MPG. Well, enough about my stuff...what are you people working on? :)

Hockey4mnhs 07-27-2007 08:30 PM

not working on anything but we do have a 99 F 150 that i take out and is alot of fun compared to the honda. i dont pay for the gas also so thats also a perk. Today i didnt drive my car at all just the truck because i had to take my mower in and get som wood for my little brothers tree fort (more like a house).

unstable bob 07-27-2007 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 65835)
not working on anything but we do have a 99 F 150 that i take out and is alot of fun compared to the honda. i dont pay for the gas also so thats also a perk. Today i didnt drive my car at all just the truck because i had to take my mower in and get som wood for my little brothers tree fort (more like a house).

Anyone who spins a wrench or swings a hammer has to have access to a truck! :) My wife has a 98 Ranger that we bought brand new, and that truck has been FLAWLESS! I'm hoping my MPG research will have a trickle down effect on the truck, and I think I'm gonna buy the wife a scan gauge for her birthday. Ain't I romantic? :D

Hockey4mnhs 07-27-2007 09:26 PM

thats up there with dimonds in my book lol

Stevo440 07-28-2007 10:57 AM

Well for the motorhead part of me, I too have a Turbo Buick well two for that matter, one I ordered new in 1986 a GN with all the options, T-Top car which has 272,000 miles on it now. I use to get about 20-21mpg with it at 80mph on trips. The other one I bought in 1996 with 11,500 miles on it, its an 87 GN, that now has 14,800 miles on it, does'nt go on any trips just short little drives once a month. I also have my very first car which I ordered new in 1973 a Plymouth Roadrunner w/440 auto, with all the options. I also have a 1967 Dodge Dart w/440 auto, which I built from the ground up, back in 1980-83. Then there's the 2001 Donzi 22 Classic 454 Mag mpi w/385hp that does 70mph on the water ofcourse, does that count? Then ofcourse the 1995 Bronco w/351 auto 4x4 to tow the boat, not too good on the mpg's here. Then last but not least the 1994 Honda Civic Cx that's finally gettin 40+ mpg goin 80+ mph on the highway and whatever around town. Well that's it for now, so does that get me motorhead status??????

Hiding in my garage:
1973 440 Plymouth Roadrunner (created/ordered)
1967 440 Dodge Dart GT (created/built)
1986 Buick Grand National (created/ordered)
1987 Buick Grand National (bought used but not to much)
1995 Ford Bronco (where's OJ) (aquired)
1994 Honda Civic Cx (bought used)
2001 Donzi 22 Classic 454 Mag Mpi 385hp (Its a boat) (bought used but not to much either)
That's it for now........

Steve

Fourthbean 07-28-2007 11:21 AM

Steveo, I think you qualify for motorhead+packrat. Though it is neat that you have kept all of those cars. Especially the one you bought as your first car. I'll bet you have so many memories with each of them.

GasSavers_Graeme 07-28-2007 01:25 PM

I've got a '34 Hudson five-window coupe in the works. Long term project. 302 Ford, built C4 and Ford 8" make up the drive train. Dropped tube axle with disc brakes on new stock-style parallel leaf springs. Silver powder coated steelies with big and little BFGs. Pretty much stock body. Need to finish the front fenders, running boards and interior.

unstable bob 07-28-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevo440 (Post 65884)
Well for the motorhead part of me, I too have a Turbo Buick well two for that matter, one I ordered new in 1986 a GN with all the options, T-Top car which has 272,000 miles on it now. I use to get about 20-21mpg with it at 80mph on trips. The other one I bought in 1996 with 11,500 miles on it, its an 87 GN, that now has 14,800 miles on it, does'nt go on any trips just short little drives once a month. I also have my very first car which I ordered new in 1973 a Plymouth Roadrunner w/440 auto, with all the options. I also have a 1967 Dodge Dart w/440 auto, which I built from the ground up, back in 1980-83. Then there's the 2001 Donzi 22 Classic 454 Mag mpi w/385hp that does 70mph on the water ofcourse, does that count? Then ofcourse the 1995 Bronco w/351 auto 4x4 to tow the boat, not too good on the mpg's here. Then last but not least the 1994 Honda Civic Cx that's finally gettin 40+ mpg goin 80+ mph on the highway and whatever around town. Well that's it for now, so does that get me motorhead status??????

Hiding in my garage:
1973 440 Plymouth Roadrunner (created/ordered)
1967 440 Dodge Dart GT (created/built)
1986 Buick Grand National (created/ordered)
1987 Buick Grand National (bought used but not to much)
1995 Ford Bronco (where's OJ) (aquired)
1994 Honda Civic Cx (bought used)
2001 Donzi 22 Classic 454 Mag Mpi 385hp (Its a boat) (bought used but not to much either)
That's it for now........

Steve

WOW! I'd say ya qualify for motorhead status! In fact, you should be called "BIG DADDY!" :eek:

unstable bob 07-28-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme (Post 65895)
I've got a '34 Hudson five-window coupe in the works. Long term project. 302 Ford, built C4 and Ford 8" make up the drive train. Dropped tube axle with disc brakes on new stock-style parallel leaf springs. Silver powder coated steelies with big and little BFGs. Pretty much stock body. Need to finish the front fenders, running boards and interior.

Hudsons are cool! I always wanted to do a Hornet up "ol' skool" NASCAR style. :thumbup:

diamondlarry 07-28-2007 10:47 PM

unstable bob, here is a website you may enjoy. It's a way to be a motorhead and an FE fanatic at the same time.:D http://powrehaus.com/about/
Welcome to GasSavers and, I like the '73 AMX. My very first car was a '71 Hornet that was my grandfather's.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.