Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Car trouble woes (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/car-trouble-woes-5586.html)

Fourthbean 07-28-2007 06:57 PM

Car trouble woes

I found something out today! My generator is bad!

It won't even create enough power to bump start with. So it is currently sitting in a parking lot awaiting my arrival tomorrow (hopefully). I work tomorrow, so it will be after work.

I have a great friend who is charging my battery overnight, which will hopefully get it home. Then I can have the generator rebuilt. Hopefully that doesn't take too long!

Should be a bit more efficient after I get it fixed though...

Sad thing is, I should have realized it was going bye bye when I couldn't start my car at the garage this morning after driving it without lights to work...

While I am on the subject, should I consider anything special when replacing this generator? Anything that would be more efficient than simply rebuilding it?

CO ZX2 07-28-2007 07:34 PM

Your car came with an alternator when new. Alternators do a much better job than generators. Maybe you are just calling an alternator a generator. But if you somehow have ended up with a generator, I would suggest returning to an alternator. Have your regulator charging rate checked after you get it fixed. You can probably buy an already rebuilt unit and trade in your old one. Same day deal.

Fourthbean 07-28-2007 07:41 PM

Ahh yes, hopefully there will be one in stock I can simply trade in. Of course the last time I did that with my carb I ended up with a string of 4 that leaked. Might wait to give up my core till I know the new one works ;).

As for the Generator, my car is so old that it did in fact come with a Generator when new. I would consider going with an alternator but I am not sure what wiring and new parts would be required in that conversion. If I have time I will look into it.

Thanks for the input.

CO ZX2 07-28-2007 08:12 PM

1962 Chev was the last year for generators.

VetteOwner 07-28-2007 10:44 PM

what car is it exactly? every old chevy was a boat...(we had one)

well its out, you learned your lesson. just chalk it up to one of those life lessons you hope to remember to pass on...

Fourthbean 07-29-2007 04:47 AM

I apologize profusely, you are correct CO_ZX2, and now I sound like a know-it-all :(. Thank you for saving me a lot of trouble! I was about to go buy a generator for no reason.

Yep, I learned a good lesson. I usually pay pretty good attention to my car and how it acts, just wasn't fast enough this time ;).

This is encouraging though, that I have an alternator not a generator.

I own a Chevrolet Bel-Air, and you are right that every old chevy was a boat. Atleast 95% or so.

CO ZX2 07-29-2007 06:28 AM

[quote=Fourthbean;65949]I apologize profusely

No apology necessary.

I just looked on partsamerica.com. Autolite remanufactured alternator $36.99. New regulator $11.99. Parts America is Checker, Shucks, Kragen. I order online, then pickup at the closest store.

https://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...for=Alternator

Fourthbean 07-29-2007 07:25 AM

Too bad their closest location is 80 miles out. I will have to see if any of the parts stores around me have a good one in stock.

Fourthbean 07-29-2007 08:00 PM

I got the car home today. It will run with the battery disconnected using the new alternator, so I trust I have a good one ;). Still need to install the voltage regulator, I bought one but didn't want to replace it in the parking lot.

Well, I have a new battery, and alternator, and voltage regulator. Wonder what will go out next? Clutch linkage? Wait, that's solid metal...

Suppose my radio could go out. That wouldn't be too fun.

Hockey4mnhs 07-29-2007 10:33 PM

i wonder how much your mpg will go up?