Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Motorcycle battery (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/motorcycle-battery-5723.html)

holypaulie 08-10-2007 05:41 AM

Motorcycle battery

I wonder if I could switch my stock battery to smaller one what motorcycle uses. If that possible that would be great idea to save weight.

jwxr7 08-10-2007 06:42 AM

I've heard of people doing that with a metro, but there are lots of motorcycles with engines bigger than ours :) .

GeekGuyAndy 08-10-2007 08:47 AM

Are they the same voltage? I thought some bikes are 6v and cars are 12v

psyshack 08-10-2007 09:46 AM

If anything I would put a heavy duty higher cold cranking amp battery in your Honda. And also do some extra grounding.

One thing I disliked about my 06 Civic EX was its charging system sucked. The battery was way to small in terms of size, cranking amps and over all capacity. Honda already use's a small battery. Any smaller and the car would have been a worthless yard orniment.

psy

jwxr7 08-10-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy (Post 67576)
Are they the same voltage? I thought some bikes are 6v and cars are 12v

My yamaha is 12 volts, most newer ones are too i believe.

brucepick 08-10-2007 10:44 AM

Nothing quite like a car that won't start on a cold winter day, due to a battery that's not up to the job. If that happens with a motorcyle battery in the engine compartment, whoever gives you a jump start will probaby laugh.

ffvben 08-10-2007 02:22 PM

riding lawn mowers have 12 mini batteries too. not sure on cranking amps

VetteOwner 08-10-2007 10:25 PM

prolly not much, maybe like 2-4 lbs? try this: find your cars battery on a rack at walmart (or one the same general size) and then compare its weight to the small lawn and garden battery. thier both heavy (not to mention you would have to cut off your stock cable clamps and crimp/solder on new ones to fit the mower battery) but most mower batteries dont put out enough amps.(the cars ive delt with need 4-600 CCA while most mower batteries are 2-300 CCA) it wouldnt start the car or if it did the battery would die quickly from being totally drained each time its started.

SVOboy 08-11-2007 12:50 AM

Thisisntjared used to used a lawnmower battery for his car. If it has enough cold cranking amps its all good.

GasSavers_Ryland 08-11-2007 07:00 PM

if your car starts easly even in the winter, then you might be able to get by with a smaller battery, but insted of going with a motorcycle, or lawn mower battery I would think going with a racing battery might be better, as they are designed to be able to run a starter, and are small and light weight to boot, of course making your electrical system more efficent is alwas a good idea, get rid of energy wasters where possible, make sure that your connections are all in good shape with a few extra ground straps and silver soldered lugs.