Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   What do you monitor with your ScanGauge? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/what-do-you-monitor-with-your-scangauge-5729.html)

striegel 08-10-2007 05:13 PM

What do you monitor with your ScanGauge?

Since I've been driving for a couple of months with my ScanGauge II, I have changed what I monitor with it. This led me to wondering how others work with it.

My current standard display is:

MPG GPH
MPH IAT

What I look at most is the top line and lately I work at keeping my GPH under some arbitrary figures based on the conditions. For example, when I'm driving at the 45 mph speed limit on a level road, I will try to keep it under 1.0 GPH.

While accelerating on the level, I see if I can keep it under 1.5 GPH.

This technique has helped me improve my average FE during my commutes.

What do you use?

LxMike 08-10-2007 05:38 PM

rpm- mpg
iat- wt

rpm's help me to keep steady foot on the gas pedal. I use the water temp one casue i don't trust the factory gauge in dash. i've seen 220 degree temps and needle was in same place.

GeekGuyAndy 08-10-2007 05:45 PM

RPM / MPG
FWT / TPS

The rpm is pointless since I have a tach but just never changed it on the SGII. The mpg is obvious. FWT is good to track so I know how to expect the shifting to go since it's an automatic and when it's warm it shifts much lower. TPS is good to try to see just how low I can keep the throttle to hold speed.

GeekGuyAndy 08-10-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LxMike (Post 67657)
rpm's help me to keep steady foot on the gas pedal.

Just curious, do you think it's better to track RPM's or TPS? I always had a tach and tried to pick certain numbers to stay below in certain gears, but now I just watch TPS and it seems easier. I really don't know if there's even really a difference in how it would make me drive if I watched one over another. Are they directly related?

skewbe 08-10-2007 06:20 PM

Try monitoring loop, if it goes open loop when you accelerate hard then it might be an indication that enrichment has kicked in.

FYI, you want to accelerate till just before enrichment kicks in.

Rick Rae 08-10-2007 06:52 PM

I change mine around depending on what I'm doing at the moment, but most often it's:

RPM ___
MPG TPS

... where the blank is typically LOD or FWT, sometimes GPH or IAT.

I have an analog tach and it works better than the ScanGauge for noting the shift from 3rd to 4th (automatic transmission) -- it's easy to see the needle drop with my peripheral vision. But my commute includes a stretch of road where the speed limit is 30MPH, and if I drive it perfectly I can keep the car in 4th and get phenomenal mileage. The ScanGauge's digital RPM readout is much better than the analog tach for keeping the RPMs above the tricky threshold around 1575-1600 RPM where the tranny wants to downshift. (That puts me at about 35MPH, so it's a delicate balancing act.)

TPS because I'm trying different acceleration profiles to see which is most efficient, plus I know e.g. 10TPS reliably puts me around 1600RPM/40ishMPH/50ishMPG, etc. I like being able to accelerate to 4th gear and then quickly "lock" the throttle at what I know will be my final target.

Waitin' on the next rev of firmware so I can replace one of those gauges with current average MPGs. :thumbup::D

Rick

LxMike 08-10-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy (Post 67660)
Just curious, do you think it's better to track RPM's or TPS? I always had a tach and tried to pick certain numbers to stay below in certain gears, but now I just watch TPS and it seems easier. I really don't know if there's even really a difference in how it would make me drive if I watched one over another. Are they directly related?

i've always had rpm's as one of my guages. i might try tps to see if i would detect smaller changes in pedal position.

Mike T 08-10-2007 08:37 PM

LHK IAT
MAP LOD

LHK = L/100 km, IAT in degrees C, MAP in kilopascals.

The car has a tiny turbo that blows at up to 1.15 bar, which is why I monitor MAP. Sometimes I monitor coolant temperature rather than intake air, but it's fun comparing the latter to the ambient air temp shown on the smart's dashboard.

s2man 08-11-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rae (Post 67683)
RPM ___
MPG TPS

Ditto. In the blank, I'm watching whatever is of interest at the moment. I accelerate by the TPS, and drive by the MPG. I'm currently using 40% TPS, and trying to maintain 40+ MPG during cruise.

GasSavers_Lincoln 08-11-2007 05:45 AM

TPS MPG
WT IAT

TPS and MPG help me with my driving style and trying to improve gas mileage
WT because my factory gauge is way off.
IAT to monitor intercooler efficiency.