Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Hood-less is better?? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/hood-less-is-better-5764.html)

Raccoonjoe 08-13-2007 07:57 AM

Hood-less is better??

I removed the hood from Julie this weekend, so I can cut holes and install vents. Due to an argument I had with an angle grinder, the hood is currently removed pending some trimming on the holes, and I am continuing my daily commute hood-less. Looks cool, and lets you see just how much that motor moves, too......

Keeping in mind that the cd of a cinderblock is actually better than that of my Jeep, I pose the following question: Removing the hood would make for a messy area of turbulence to form over the engine bay. However, it seems that the Jeep runs fine down the highway (no buffeting), and my coasting times seem to be longer. I actually had to hit the brakes at the stop light today.....she was coasting better than usual! Any ideas about why this happened???

lunarhighway 08-13-2007 08:24 AM

things i can think of are:

better escape route for air comming in trough the grill
less high pressure in front of the windshield
thus overall better airflow over the vehicle...

or it might simply be weight reduction... a hood is a rather big piece of metal...

Raccoonjoe 08-13-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 68150)
Since the wiggly engine is such a kick, you should put a shaker scoop on it!

I thought of that...but I would have to hang a light inside so I could see it....and then move the steering wheel to the roof so I could see over it :D

I'm actually using a set of vents from a 1984 Chrysler New Yorker, the one with the 2.4L turbo. It's going to look pretty good, if these grinder-burns heal up enough to let me work on it again.....

I'll get some photos posted when she's done...maybe even a tech. writeup for those interested.

ffvben 08-13-2007 04:05 PM

old school racers used to jack up the back of the hood for performance. you can see the engine from the windsheild. I guess home made cowl induction or just a quicker way for heat to escape.

Bill in Houston 08-13-2007 06:29 PM

But rumor has it that if you tuft test a hood like that, the yarn will get sucked into the engine compartment, which would indicate flow opposite of what we are supposing for RaccoonJoe...

Raccoonjoe 08-14-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston (Post 68235)
But rumor has it that if you tuft test a hood like that, the yarn will get sucked into the engine compartment, which would indicate flow opposite of what we are supposing for RaccoonJoe...

This is why people do cowl induction on their cars....the yarn will actually get sucked into the engine bay. Something about a low pressure zone where the hood meets the windshield....

Bill in Houston 08-14-2007 05:38 AM

Ya, a high pressure zone, I think, helping force more air into the engine.

brucepick 08-14-2007 07:16 AM

I think my bs meter just hit the peg.

GasSavers_Red 08-14-2007 08:57 AM

How about running some long bits of yarn by the grille and see where air is going? I'd say tape it around the fan shroud, off the intake box, the valve cover and anything you might have on the passenger side fender

Bill in Houston 08-14-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 68300)
I think my bs meter just hit the peg.

Sorry, we drifted off and were talking about old TransAms and such, not FE stuff...