Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Hypermiling is Fun (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/hypermiling-is-fun-5840.html)

FritzR 08-20-2007 12:57 PM

Hypermiling is Fun

I had to go on a 190 mile drive to get new seats for my new CRX HF. I was driving my 1990 Corolla 3 Spd Auto with the A/C on. It was not that hot but there is a huge forest fire near by, Santa Barbara, and it was giving me hayfever so I couldn't run with just the fan on Fresh with the windows up. The old EPA is 26 Town 29 Highway. I usually get 29 MPG overall rural city driving. I have low rolling resistance tires

If I drive with the A/C on, for a the 190 mile route at 70 MPH through rolling hill terain with the one approx 1800 foot grade, I would get 35 MPG. It will get 40 MPG max with the A/C on at 60 MPH on flat terain. I would also have been bored on the drive.

I tried some of the stuff I read on here. I would pulse up a hill and glide down the backside. I coasted whenever possible. I only cycled the A/C on about 20% of the time, but left the fan on recirculate. I drafted off a couple of semis for about 50 of the miles at 4 to 6 car lengths. I got 42.5 MPG. I averaged 65 MPH. I was not bored on the drive I was entertained.

Some of the FE stuff I was already doing. My dad was a major cheapskate and used to time signals and coast to them, and coast down grades with the engine off in our brand new 1967 VW squareback. At first it was like "Daddy everyone is passing us" Dad "See that red signal up there." We'd blow past the cars stopped in the fast lane in the right lane as the signal turned green and us kids would laugh and wave sometimes over and over to the same car.

Thanks Dad

ELF 08-20-2007 03:29 PM

Heh, your dad was way ahead of his time. I learned from one of my uncles, he lived out in the country, whenever he came to a stop sign he just slowed to 20mph or so, looked for cars and then kept going. We always asked why he didn't stop, He said every time you stop you waste gas. He was right though, cheap ol man he was.

Erdrick 08-20-2007 05:25 PM

Hypermiling does make driving a bit more enjoyable. IF you can swallow your pride and allow yourself to be passed.

My dad tells me stories of his old VW Rabbit (diesel) days of yore. He used to stock up on off-road diesel and store it in a huge tank at our house (illegel, yes). He would draft semis to decrease any hits to his FE when traveling on the highway. He was hypermiling wayyyy before the term was even coined. All because his dad was a cheap *** slave-driver that didn't pay him enough money to survive. They were in business together and my grandpa screwed my dad over every chance he got. If my dad didn't employ the aforementioned techniques, he simply wouldn't have been able to drive, short of stealing his fuel. He joked about doing that too, come to think of it...

Point being, having something like an expense account through your business, being extremely wealthy, etc. will make driving to be more of a task. I see it as a challenge, every time I step into the car.

Hockey4mnhs 08-20-2007 07:26 PM

well said erdrick. i think this makes me a cheapskate also? oh well what could be bad about that :)

baddog671 08-21-2007 02:47 PM

Light hypermiling can be challenging and somewhat fun, but when I did my last tank on extreme hypermiling conditions, it was a constant stress. I put black tape over my gas guage and odometer so I dont look as much and dont worry about it..

cfg83 08-21-2007 03:06 PM

Hockey4mnhs -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs (Post 69069)
well said erdrick. i think this makes me a cheapskate also? oh well what could be bad about that :)

What I always like to say is "cheap for expensive reasons".

CarloSW2