Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Advantages of owning an old car (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/advantages-of-owning-an-old-car-5923.html)

mrmad 08-28-2007 08:59 PM

Advantages of owning an old car

Had to go to the Honda dealer today to pick up a few parts for the Rex-O-Saurus. As I pulled up, there were three dealers sitting put front sweating in the ties and I was starting to dread the sales pitches. I'm sure they took a look at my car and then never said a word to me.

omgwtfbyobbq 08-28-2007 09:09 PM

Jejeje, I get that too, probably because I dress ratty as well and usually head straight for the parts counter. Most of the time I don't even bother with the stealership, just go to autozone for the LLT stuff, or the j-yard for the extremely cheap stuff. Part of the reason I went w/ a VW, aside from the whole VO thing, was because Japanese imports were always real picked over and/or rare in the junkyards. I would hate having to pay dealer prices on anything... F'ing 40-100% markups. :thumbdown:

repete86 08-28-2007 10:27 PM

The other advantage is being able to own a car as cool and DIY as the Green Machine. I love freaking people out with my broken radiator fan bearing that makes all sorts of noise whenever I turn the car off.

cfg83 08-29-2007 07:35 AM

mrmad -

NO PAYMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, nobody wants to steal it (another joy of owning a Saturn, ;) ).

CarloSW2

mrmad 08-29-2007 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 70090)
mrmad -

NO PAYMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, nobody wants to steal it (another joy of owning a Saturn, ;) ).

CarloSW2

Well you have to be careful there, someone did steal my CRX, but then when they realized what it was, they gave it back.

GasSavers_DaX 08-29-2007 08:39 AM

I enjoy no payments, "stand-still-technology", and cheap insurance. Also, if I had a newer car I'd want to constantly be washing it and keeping the interior clean. I vacuum out The Beater every few months and never leave trash in it, but she hasn't had a bath (aside from rain) in well over 2 years.

cfg83 08-29-2007 09:51 AM

mrmad -

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmad (Post 70097)
Well you have to be careful there, someone did steal my CRX, but then when they realized what it was, they gave it back.

Yeah, you're right, I should have said "Advantages of owning an old Saturn" :D .

CarloSW2

rh77 08-29-2007 01:26 PM

Well, you don't have to worry so much about body damage -- door dings, hail damage, and WAY cheaper on the insurance as a result.

Older cars tend to be easier to work on too.

Oh, and the best part -- people tend to steer clear of older cars on the road (i.e. tailgating and cutting-off, etc.).

There are advantages to new cars: fewer emissions, more safety features.

omgwtfbyobbq 08-29-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 70130)
Oh, and the best part -- people tend to steer clear of older cars on the road (i.e. tailgating and cutting-off, etc.).

OMGz yes! When I was driving the black POS that's half disassembled in my back yard right now, I got attitude from no one. Always wearing a black hoodie to cover up the ear plugs probably helped too... :o I've gotten the most in the Camry, probably because "It's a V6!" Nothing to speak of in the truck or bunny. I should probably debadge the Camry now that I think about it. very few will be able to figure out engine type w/o something telling 'em explicitly.

P.s. I saw a "V8" Metro the other day. :D

VetteOwner 08-29-2007 02:32 PM

i like owning old cars, first reason is all the new car kinks are worked out, the engine is well broken in, etc. reason 2 is most parts are in junkyards so thier alot cheaper than new, usually has a few dings so a new one you dont care about.

and yes any OBD1 car and older seems like the backyard mechanic can do just about everyhinng to the car. unlike new cars where you cant even feel half the sparkplugs let alone get a socket on them!