Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Should I buy this VX? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/should-i-buy-this-vx-5936.html)

Davegr 08-30-2007 10:13 AM

Should I buy this VX?

2 Attachment(s)
I am trying to decide if I should buy a 1995 Honda Civic VX that I located for $3000 or possibly less. The good part about the car is, it has NO RUST and is clean inside. The paint and body is good except the front. For the bad, it has 180k miles is missing the stock rims and has some front end damage. The hood was replaced but does not close correctly because the radiator support is pushed back.

Dave

1993CivicVX 08-30-2007 01:36 PM

I just bought a 1993 VX with about the same miles (maybe a few thousand less) with some front end damage (medium cosmetic dent) and right off the bat I have to pay $475 to do the rear brakes which looked like they'd never been done before and to fix the emergency brake. If it runs well with no hiccups or kinks--then I'd say go for it. Of course get it checked out by a mechanic first as if he finds anything wrong you can use that to bring the price down.

omgwtfbyobbq 08-30-2007 01:51 PM

Two to three grand for a car that may have more than just damage to the front clip is steeeep imo.

thisisntjared 08-31-2007 07:17 AM

no you should not get that car for over 1500

GasSavers_Ryland 09-01-2007 06:08 AM

the car looks like it has been repainted, if that is the case it is most likely because they are hideing body repairs, maybe including rust and bondo, I would never pay $3000 for a car that didn't have a hood that closed, get a quote from a body shop as to what it would cost to replace the radiator suport, and find out what it would cost to replace the rims, take those to numbers and subtract them from what you think the car is worth and offer that number to the person selling it.

bfg9000d 09-01-2007 08:42 AM

also have the owner take it to a repair shop and have the codes ran on it. This will reveal atleast some of how the car is doing.

Davegr 09-01-2007 11:34 AM

Thursday I called a body shop. They gave me an estimate of $900 to replace the radiator support and $200 more to paint the hood. Considering the missing rims and 180k miles in addition to the front-end damage. I decided not to get the car.

I have also been thinking about a new car. What I really wanted was a new car that gets the same mpg as the vx but not the price of a hybrid. I looked at the Civic, Fit, Yaris, and Corolla in the passed couple of week.

Yesterday I went to look at the Corolla again. This time I searched the dealers inventory online to find one with a 5-speed, cruise and some other options. They gave me a deal I could not refuse on a 08 Corolla S with 5-speed manual.

Dave

1993CivicVX 09-01-2007 01:26 PM

Sellout. :D You could prolly sip that car to 48mpg tho. I am beginning to feel very happy about my VX. Especially after the big difference putting in the right spark plugs has made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davegr (Post 70484)
Thursday I called a body shop. They gave me an estimate of $900 to replace the radiator support and $200 more to paint the hood. Considering the missing rims and 180k miles in addition to the front-end damage. I decided not to get the car.

I have also been thinking about a new car. What I really wanted was a new car that gets the same mpg as the vx but not the price of a hybrid. I looked at the Civic, Fit, Yaris, and Corolla in the passed couple of week.

Yesterday I went to look at the Corolla again. This time I searched the dealers inventory online to find one with a 5-speed, cruise and some other options. They gave me a deal I could not refuse on a 08 Corolla S with 5-speed manual.

Dave