Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Lawn edge side skirts (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/lawn-edge-side-skirts-5947.html)

holypaulie 08-31-2007 06:32 PM

Lawn edge side skirts

I'm planning to make side skirts out of the lawn edge. Can someone give me an idea how to mount them ?

GasSavers_TomO 09-01-2007 02:44 PM

If your civic has factory side skirts that can be removed, I would remove them and then attach the edging to the side skirt, then mount the side skirt back on the vehicle. That way you would retain the versatility of the OEM side skirt but gain the FE of the edging skirt.

holypaulie 09-01-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 70501)
If your civic has factory side skirts that can be removed, I would remove them and then attach the edging to the side skirt, then mount the side skirt back on the vehicle. That way you would retain the versatility of the OEM side skirt but gain the FE of the edging skirt.

The civic what I own honda doesn't make with side skirts. But your idea is good.

brucepick 09-01-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holypaulie (Post 70436)
I'm planning to make side skirts out of the lawn edge. Can someone give me an idea how to mount them ?

Good idea - lawn edging for side skirts. I've been thinking plywood for the skirts but lawn edging sounds good.

To mount, I've considered getting furring strips and cutting lengthwise diagonally.

OK, I know that is guaranteed to confuse. They are about 3/4" x 1.25" x 8' long. Cut so it makes a wedge that's 8' long, trim that down to about 5' long so it fits your car. Wedge goes under the edging so the edging "hangs" vertically, not tilted at an angle. Then just use sheet metal screws through the edging, then through the furring strip, then into the sheet metal. If you spend the time and money you probably can find black-finish sheet metal screws, maybe round-head for better aero.

Nice thing about lawn edging is, if you take a speed bump a bit too fast or hit anything with the skirt, it will just bend and go right back into position. Plus it will probably look great with very little effort.

oneinchsidehop 09-02-2007 04:18 AM

We used to do this with track cars (legal with scca at the time) aluminum stock from a home depot like place works best then use sheet metal screw / washers to hold it in place. Crude, very crude, but it works. It doesn't need to be as far outside as possible either, following the rounded countour of the door looks much nicer and tend to hide the wrinkles and warps (yep, you'll probably get them) I do think a belly pan even if partial may be more effective though.

It does work GREAT for a cheap front air dam though.

billynjoanna 09-02-2007 08:14 AM

Lawn edge side skirts

I used the edging for my front air dam. The only thing is that when you lay it out it is not straight. There is a curve to it. I found that if you take a blow tourch to it ( being very careful not to over heat it) you can get it soft enough that you can shape it to fit what you need.

LarryClapp 06-06-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billynjoanna (Post 70582)
I used the edging for my front air dam. The only thing is that when you lay it out it is not straight. There is a curve to it. I found that if you take a blow tourch to it ( being very careful not to over heat it) you can get it soft enough that you can shape it to fit what you need.

Good idea! When I built my airdam it was summer so I left it out in the sun for most of the day, here in the southern states. It was very pliable, but warm to the hands. Throwing this info out to help others.