Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   How Fast To Accelerate? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/how-fast-to-accelerate-5997.html)

J. Hartley 09-07-2007 05:55 AM

How Fast To Accelerate?

Hi Folks,

Is there a general consensus about whether to accelerate slower or faster? On the scanguage, should I keep flow rate below some arbitrary number, and accelerate more slowly, or should I kick it and just keep below the "Open Loop" threshold? Somewhere in between?

Thanks!

Joe

J. Hartley 09-08-2007 07:16 PM

I'm still hoping that someone will answer my question.

I've been experimenting with very gentle acceleration, and this seems to be fairly fuel efficient. however, other folks have mentioned stepping on it, and getting up to steady state as fast as possible without going into open loop. Any thoughts? In your experience, what works best?

Tomorrow I will do some measurements of time to go from 0 to 100 km/h at different fuel flow rates. This should give me the ability to calculate the actual amount of fuel used at different rates of acceleration. I'll post my results.

Thanks!

lovemysan 09-09-2007 05:23 AM

auto or manual? If its a manual I would shift at 1500 rpms or below accellerating very lightly generally 10-12% throttle. Automatic takes more time to find a happy medium. You want the torque convertor locked as soon as possible. A general guestimation would be 30-50% throttle until 40mph then allow the convertor to lock, after that accel slowly.

enjoy the ride, I love wagons

light-foot 09-09-2007 01:57 PM

the second gen scangauge 2a is supposed to incorporate the speed of acceleration for best fe. I just cant remember where i heard the audio interview from the ceo of linear logic explaining all the new features of the scangauge 2a

popimp 09-09-2007 02:20 PM

It's on Cleanmpg.

J. Hartley 09-09-2007 06:20 PM

Measured Results

Hi Folks,

Today I found a flat stretch of road, running east to west. I did two trials each (one eastbound, one westbound) at three different accelerations. I then punched the measurements into my trusty spreadsheet, and found my answer:

If I accelerate using 5 LPH then I'm using about 50% more fuel to get to 80 KM/H than if I accelerate at 7 LPH.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to have to figure out how to use this scanguage if you're suggesting that I can do more than see what's happening at any given moment.

Joe.

trebuchet03 09-09-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Hartley (Post 71598)

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to have to figure out how to use this scanguage if you're suggesting that I can do more than see what's happening at any given moment.

Joe.

Go into "Trip" mode --> Current --> Average mpg

When you're ready to start a test -- press "reset"
At the end of a test, note the avg. mpg readout :thumbup:

2002 Gls 09-09-2007 06:50 PM

thanks for the info!!:D

J. Hartley 09-10-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 71601)
Go into "Trip" mode --> Current --> Average mpg

When you're ready to start a test -- press "reset"
At the end of a test, note the avg. mpg readout :thumbup:

Now why didn't I think of that!!!??? Would have saved me a bit of work, and gave better results to boot. Thanks!

Joe

slurp812 09-10-2007 07:34 AM

no SG

I have no scangauge (OBD1 car) so I have to go by tankful. But for what its worth, I drive like theres an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. It works not sure if this is the best for even my car, but its WAY better than before :)