Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   CRX HF Engine Replacement Questions (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/crx-hf-engine-replacement-questions-6052.html)

FritzR 09-12-2007 02:21 PM

CRX HF Engine Replacement Questions

I'm having an engine replacement done on my 88 crx hf. The mechanics wanted to rebuild the original but could not find a replacement head after 6 weeks. They decided to eat their labor on the attempted rebuild and start fresh with a used JDM motor. They ordered one and it showed up yesterday as a DX motor. They called up the distributor and they said the other one is unavailable.

Can anyone recommend a good JDM motor company?

I notice that a 92 D16B8 CX motor has the exact same specs as the 91 CRX HF. Is this the same motor with more advanced smog odb1? If so would they look identical with all the odb1 parts and fuel injection on the CX motor?

Does anyone have experience with rising sun engines?

SVOboy 09-12-2007 02:39 PM

They are different, but in subtle ways. I think you'd be just fine substituting a d15b8 for the b6.

However, I do not know they company.

I have a b8 head in my basement with a broken rocker arm bolt, if you want it.

FritzR 09-12-2007 02:56 PM

Thanks SVOboy,

Would the B8 head fit and work on the B6? Think the smog guy would notice?

SVOboy 09-12-2007 03:02 PM

It would, I don't think he'd notice. However, I don't know how much of a problem the bolt is. It could just be drilled out of the head and retapped or done without retapping, but I've been lazy.

Gary Palmer 09-13-2007 01:09 PM

If you get the head from SVOboy, you should be able to take the head to a machine shop and they should be able to extract the bolt and repair/fix the threads. I think it's one of those things which is not a big deal, if you have the right tools, but it can be easy to goof up, if you don't.

Most likely they can drill a small hole in the middle of the bolt and use an easyout to extract it. Worst case, they might have to put a heli-coil insert into the head, which makes the threads pretty indestructible, after that. In either case, the smog guys not going to be able to tell diddly spit difference.

FritzR 09-13-2007 01:37 PM

SVOboy Private message sent for cx head

78si 09-15-2007 07:57 AM

Where do you live?

FritzR 09-15-2007 10:09 AM

San Luis Obispo, CA

70DIMER 09-20-2007 11:53 PM

FritzR:
I'd suggest to look around for a used HF engine from local craigslists. You'll find people selling their stock HF engines because of a junked/wrecked/swapped car. Better to get it used that way then to trust and run into the same type of problem of these engine places. :)

Hell if you find one in the SF area I could pick it and drop it off to you in SLO since I have to travel down there at the end of the month for work. I could swing by and drop it off to you or meet up and you can get it. Just pay for the gas and maybe some lunch or something to make it fair. :)

FritzR 09-21-2007 09:50 AM

Thanks 70DIMER,

We could not find one of those JDM engines used anywhere. We did finally find a good head so the engine is being rebuilt as we speak. New bearings, rods, pistons, valves etc...

I'll post a picture in the garage and start a gasslog when it's done.