Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Stripped Oil Pan Bolt (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/stripped-oil-pan-bolt-6088.html)

Dave1215 09-17-2007 02:11 AM

Stripped Oil Pan Bolt

Hi everyone,
I was under my car the other day and looked at my oil drain plug and found it to be stripped (i knew it was already somewhat stripped when I bought the car but had a few oil changes done and nobody said anything about it then I tried to get a socket around it today and it just turned and turned) and I was wondering what other people think that I should do. I talked to one person and he said to tap it out and put in some oil drain valve like at https://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ but i'm not sure how hard that'd be to do. I was looking at the prices of new oil pans and they're pretty expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone!

David

GasSavers_Erik 09-17-2007 03:57 AM

It the head stripped or are the threads stripped?

If the head is stripped then you can take a file and file opposite sides enough to get a solid bite with some large vice grips. Once you get it out, just put in a new one.

If the threads are stripped then you can use an after market self tapping drain plug. Get it at your local auto parts store. You will need to size your old plug but the new plug is slightly over sized and will cut its own threads as it is screwed in. Make sure you screw it in straight though- this is very important. It will be very hard to screw in the first time so take your time and get comfortable.

GasSavers_DaX 09-17-2007 04:06 AM

It sounds like you're saying the head is stripped. If this is the case, use a pair of vise grips and it should come out.

If the threads on the bolt are stripped, replace the bolt.

If the threads on the pan are stripped, either replace the pan or use one of the "fix-it" devices. I think "HELP!" brand makes something. If not, go by a Jiffy Lube or Precision Tune and they may have advice on a product. Or you could also just ask the guy at the local auto parts counter. If this were the situation though, I'd just replace the pan - there are a ton of Civics in the junkyards and replacing the oil pan is very easy.

psyshack 09-17-2007 04:51 AM

Sounds like the bolt flats are messed up.

Get out the Vise Grips to get it out. Then put in a new drain bolt and crush washer.

SVOboy 09-17-2007 09:32 AM

I've prolly got an oil pan you could use laying around. 20 bucks?

trebuchet03 09-17-2007 09:53 AM

So I had this same problem too.... Tap for an over sized drain bolt plug. The plug screw in, and then a drain bolt screws into that ;)

No problems thus far, just be extra careful when you change your oil as not to unscrew the plug ;)

I considered a quick connect drain guy.... But it was more expensive and I didn't want to shell out more cash :p

Gary Palmer 09-17-2007 12:49 PM

You can just get the self tapping, one size larger plug. You need to be careful to get it square. I'd recommend getting a new, regular thread plug to use, once you get the new threads cut. You can use the self tapping, but it is pretty easy to get in crooked and re-bugger the threads with.

VetteOwner 09-17-2007 01:06 PM

i liek to use a normal wrench so you cant strip the head off...or a line wrench those work too. or a 6 pt socket (i HATE 12pt sockets!!!all they do is strip stuff out)

Dave1215 09-17-2007 10:43 PM

The heads actually stripped, i took it to jiffy lube to get my last oil change done...i tried the vice grips tonight and it wouldn't even budge so i don't know if they tightened it as tight as they could or what but no go for the vice grips =[ thanks for the advice though!!

Svoboy, I was looking for oil pans and do you need a new gasket to replace the oil pan or not? I'll get back to you soon about it though. I don't think i'd have the patience to do the self tapping plug =] i'm going to check with jiffy lube sometime soon and see what they say thanks all!

Gary Palmer 09-18-2007 09:24 AM

If it's the head of the bolt that is stripped, then you should be able to just get it out and replace it with an new bolt. The difficulty would be in getting it out.

I wouldn't replace the pan, unless the drain hole was just stripped out to much, or something.

If Jiffy Lube did the last oil change, I'd take it back to them and let them fix it.