Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Stripped Oil Pan Bolt (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/stripped-oil-pan-bolt-6088.html)

Dave1215 09-17-2007 02:11 AM

Stripped Oil Pan Bolt

Hi everyone,
I was under my car the other day and looked at my oil drain plug and found it to be stripped (i knew it was already somewhat stripped when I bought the car but had a few oil changes done and nobody said anything about it then I tried to get a socket around it today and it just turned and turned) and I was wondering what other people think that I should do. I talked to one person and he said to tap it out and put in some oil drain valve like at https://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/ but i'm not sure how hard that'd be to do. I was looking at the prices of new oil pans and they're pretty expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone!

David

GasSavers_Erik 09-17-2007 03:57 AM

It the head stripped or are the threads stripped?

If the head is stripped then you can take a file and file opposite sides enough to get a solid bite with some large vice grips. Once you get it out, just put in a new one.

If the threads are stripped then you can use an after market self tapping drain plug. Get it at your local auto parts store. You will need to size your old plug but the new plug is slightly over sized and will cut its own threads as it is screwed in. Make sure you screw it in straight though- this is very important. It will be very hard to screw in the first time so take your time and get comfortable.

GasSavers_DaX 09-17-2007 04:06 AM

It sounds like you're saying the head is stripped. If this is the case, use a pair of vise grips and it should come out.

If the threads on the bolt are stripped, replace the bolt.

If the threads on the pan are stripped, either replace the pan or use one of the "fix-it" devices. I think "HELP!" brand makes something. If not, go by a Jiffy Lube or Precision Tune and they may have advice on a product. Or you could also just ask the guy at the local auto parts counter. If this were the situation though, I'd just replace the pan - there are a ton of Civics in the junkyards and replacing the oil pan is very easy.

psyshack 09-17-2007 04:51 AM

Sounds like the bolt flats are messed up.

Get out the Vise Grips to get it out. Then put in a new drain bolt and crush washer.

SVOboy 09-17-2007 09:32 AM

I've prolly got an oil pan you could use laying around. 20 bucks?

trebuchet03 09-17-2007 09:53 AM

So I had this same problem too.... Tap for an over sized drain bolt plug. The plug screw in, and then a drain bolt screws into that ;)

No problems thus far, just be extra careful when you change your oil as not to unscrew the plug ;)

I considered a quick connect drain guy.... But it was more expensive and I didn't want to shell out more cash :p

Gary Palmer 09-17-2007 12:49 PM

You can just get the self tapping, one size larger plug. You need to be careful to get it square. I'd recommend getting a new, regular thread plug to use, once you get the new threads cut. You can use the self tapping, but it is pretty easy to get in crooked and re-bugger the threads with.

VetteOwner 09-17-2007 01:06 PM

i liek to use a normal wrench so you cant strip the head off...or a line wrench those work too. or a 6 pt socket (i HATE 12pt sockets!!!all they do is strip stuff out)

Dave1215 09-17-2007 10:43 PM

The heads actually stripped, i took it to jiffy lube to get my last oil change done...i tried the vice grips tonight and it wouldn't even budge so i don't know if they tightened it as tight as they could or what but no go for the vice grips =[ thanks for the advice though!!

Svoboy, I was looking for oil pans and do you need a new gasket to replace the oil pan or not? I'll get back to you soon about it though. I don't think i'd have the patience to do the self tapping plug =] i'm going to check with jiffy lube sometime soon and see what they say thanks all!

Gary Palmer 09-18-2007 09:24 AM

If it's the head of the bolt that is stripped, then you should be able to just get it out and replace it with an new bolt. The difficulty would be in getting it out.

I wouldn't replace the pan, unless the drain hole was just stripped out to much, or something.

If Jiffy Lube did the last oil change, I'd take it back to them and let them fix it.

SVOboy 09-18-2007 09:27 AM

Usually you would replace the gasket just so you don't get leaks. Especially since the old one is pretty old by now. Gasket is only 14 bucks I think.

Dave1215 09-18-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 72679)
let jiffy lube take it out, it will be a good learning experience for them.

they said "we don't do that" =[

omgwtfbyobbq 09-18-2007 02:28 PM

Find the nearest metric or standard size socket and hammer it over the bolt so it'll have a force fit. Turn it with a breaker bar. Jiffy Lube should do it or pay for it since they were the last ones to work on it.

VetteOwner 09-18-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 72783)
Find the nearest metric or standard size socket and hammer it over the bolt so it'll have a force fit. Turn it with a breaker bar. Jiffy Lube should do it or pay for it since they were the last ones to work on it.

lol does he have proof of that? i doubt it...

GasSavers_Red 09-18-2007 03:00 PM

Got a dremal or know someone who has one? could just grind new flats on the head

omgwtfbyobbq 09-18-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 72789)
lol does he have proof of that? i doubt it...

Iono, I keep my receipts. I had g00dyear crossthread two lug nuts on separate occasions. The first time they were really nice about it, but the second time they gave me some crap about how they torque (or crossthread in this case) all their stuff to the manufacturer's spec. :thumbdown:

VetteOwner 09-18-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 72794)
Iono, I keep my receipts. I had g00dyear crossthread two lug nuts on separate occasions. The first time they were really nice about it, but the second time they gave me some crap about how they torque (or crossthread in this case) all their stuff to the manufacturer's spec. :thumbdown:

lol i thought someone would say that he had a recipt, which means nothing...sure it says they changed the oil, but thats it. even if dave says well they were the last ones to touch it! still no proof... how does jiffy lube know they touched it last?

omgwtfbyobbq 09-18-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 72853)
how does jiffy lube know they touched it last?

It's below or at the oil change interval with dirty oil in there. That being said, ya gotta fight, fer yer right, to get yer moneyz back. Enough complaining/filing with the BBB will get most large companies to come around.

Telco 09-19-2007 06:05 AM

Another option, a muffler shop can weld a bolt to the drain bolt, then crank it out. Muffler shop probably won't want to do the actual removal though, since they usually don't have the facilities for an oil change. Might be able to get them to break it loose with an impact wrench without actually removing the plug, then go home and fix it. And, don't let those teenagers under your car again! All their claim of tightening to manu specs means is they have a book with the specs they can refer to when someone complains. In reality, they crank on it till it won't turn anymore, then they put the wrong oil in and leave the oil cap off.

VetteOwner 09-19-2007 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telco (Post 72902)
Another option, a muffler shop can weld a bolt to the drain bolt, then crank it out. Muffler shop probably won't want to do the actual removal though, since they usually don't have the facilities for an oil change. Might be able to get them to break it loose with an impact wrench without actually removing the plug, then go home and fix it. And, don't let those teenagers under your car again! All their claim of tightening to manu specs means is they have a book with the specs they can refer to when someone complains. In reality, they crank on it till it won't turn anymore, then they put the wrong oil in and leave the oil cap off.

or dont change the filter or leave the filter off...:eek:

Bunger 09-19-2007 05:48 PM

Sounds like you need a bigger pair of vise-grips. If it's just the head of the drain plug thats stripped, get it out and replace it. The key with vise grips is getting it on so tight that it takes all your strength to get them to lock down. And make sure you have them on the right direction... yes... there is a direction.

Telco 09-20-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunger (Post 72992)
Sounds like you need a bigger pair of vise-grips. If it's just the head of the drain plug thats stripped, get it out and replace it. The key with vise grips is getting it on so tight that it takes all your strength to get them to lock down. And make sure you have them on the right direction... yes... there is a direction.

This reminds me... there have been times when I've not been able to get a bolt to break loose until I try tightening it even further, almost like there is a friction lock between the bolt and whatever the bolt is in. Crank it clockwise carefully, with increasing force until it just feels like it might be trying to move, then yank back on it counterclockwise and sometimes the bolt will break loose.

Gary Palmer 09-20-2007 12:50 PM

Dave1215: If Jiffy Lube won't do it and your feeling stuck, bring it up to Ventura and I'll get it out. Their are a couple of things you can do, if you have the tool's.

First choice, if you have a larger Pipe wrench, you might be able to get a grip on the bolt head with that. You can use a piece of pipe, like 2-3ft, as a leverage tool, if you need to. Make sure you are turning the bolt, to back it out, lefty loosey, so you don't just make the issue worse.

Second choice: get a coarse file and a 6 sided wrench, in the next size down, probably a 14mm. File the sides of the head to allow the 6 headed wrench to fit on with as little play as possible. Again, possibly use the pipe extender to give you the leverage.

Third choice: Use a cutoff tool to put a slot into the head and use a large screwdriver to turn the bolt.

Fourth choice: Use the cutoff tool to cut a slot into the bolt and then cut the whole head off, using the cutoff tool.

Fifth choice: take a larger nut and weld it to the bolt head, using a arc welder. Then use a bigger wrench to get the bolt out.

Sixth choice: Remove the pan and replace it.

If you decide to bring it to Ventura, let me know.

SVOboy 09-20-2007 12:51 PM

Sorry on the late get-back, but as it turns out, I guess I sold my spare oil pan to someone way back when I don't even remember.

Sorry man!

Gary Palmer 09-22-2007 03:24 PM

I sent a PM to you, but I haven't heard from you. I'll try sending one more.