Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Well, I finally took the plunge and bought my SGII. (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/well-i-finally-took-the-plunge-and-bought-my-sgii-6089.html)

Jim Dunlop 09-17-2007 02:59 AM

Well, I finally took the plunge and bought my SGII.

Sorry, I know this has been covered again and again, but I just had to post because I'm excited about it.

We tried the SG in my wife's SL over the weekend and I was astounded to see just how much hills reduce MPG. Also, I couldn't believe how quickly the car went into closed loop -- I never even saw open loop. Also, it was amazing to see how poor MPG is after startup (which I always knew) and that the rest of the trip is spent increasing it up to its happy 42 MPG.

I don't find TPS all that informative, because I've already been pretty good at locking in my foot (but I'll hone it on my SL this week). IGN is really interesting; I can't believe how often it adjusts (like: constantly). Her car's IGN seemed to top out at 38.

GPH is nice because it doesn't bounce around as much as MPG does when you're at a constant speed. MPH and RPM are unnecessary in my car, but since I have my nose buried in the SG I might need to display them!

So, here's where I'll start my monitoring regimen on my SL today:

*** °FIAT
MPG °FWT

*** can be LP (right at startup), then TPS or IGN, maybe GPH. Once WT evens out it could change to something else.

I am especially interested in the temperatures because of my grille block (I want to avoid the "danger zone") and my WAI/HAI. I want to optimize my IAT for best FE. It was really cool to watch on my wife's SL how IAT and WT are inversely related to some extent, because the cold air results in more combustion exotherm. Also, now that we've gotten cold here in Wis., I may be able to get away with a full grille block.

Another thing: I've seen people complain that users cannot make Trip average variables (like MPG) one of the four Gauges displayed. I thought you could make user-defined functions...has anyone delved into this?

I am hoping by this post people will be able to give me specific things to try (which I wasn't able to do without the SG) so I can really optimize my driving. Also benchmark paramter values from other SaturnFans would be helpful.

-JD

PS - It was also really cool because I was able to pull an ECM code from my buddy's Rav4 yesterday, for free! P0401 - Insufficient EGR flow.

GasSavers_theCase 09-17-2007 03:31 AM

I too live in WI and just received my ScanGauge (?!) and love it. AFA getting the TRIP functions to show up as gauges, the instructions worked for me(they could be better). I've already set up a "DTE" Gauge (Distance to Empty) with no problems. Later today I want to set up a "CMG" gauge (Current Miles per Gallon).

Still on the 1st tank, but so far so good.

Fourthbean 09-17-2007 04:38 AM

Hey that's great, atleast someone will be increasing their average to help the team. Hopefully you can offset my 22MPG tank :(.

lovemysan 09-17-2007 09:23 AM

Generally I don't have to monitor the HAI temps. It usually only requires my attention when drafting on hot days or when driving under 30mph for long periods. I have a separate HAI temp gauge that monitors the HAI. I found that my IAT sensor is a pessimist by about 20 degrees. It cost $13 a wallyworld. Or you can get a meat thermometer for about $3 and stick in the top of the airbox. I would also recommend you move the IAT to the top of the airbox. I moved mine to the intake tube but I find it was pretty much the same as the top of the airbox. I find 150-190f the most efficient temp.

I do watch the water temp, as you should try to keep it under 200ish. But again, generally it doesn't need attention. I set my grill block for a You'll find climbing hills is more efficient in 5th unless your going under 30mph. When hill climbing I'll set a limiting speed of say 5-10 under the speed limit. When I reach the limiting speed I apply enough throttle to maintain that speed.

MY SG is setup like this

FWT or FIAT TPS
IGN or LOAD MPG

I use the load and map sometimes to detect headwind or slight grades when nite traveling.

Mentalic 09-17-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCase (Post 72520)
I've already set up a "DTE" Gauge (Distance to Empty) with no problems. Later today I want to set up a "CMG" gauge (Current Miles per Gallon).

I've read my manual front to back and don't see anything about setting up "Trip" data to display as one of the four displays when in "gauge" mode. If theres a way I'd like to know! Maybe its a feature introduced with newer firmware?

popimp 09-17-2007 03:41 PM

You'll be able to do it once the new firmware comes out. Does anyone know when?

MetroMPG 09-17-2007 04:16 PM

There's a thread at cleanmpg about the new firmware. I thought it was imminent.

Anyway, glad to see another instrumented driver. The SG is a wonder.

Mentalic 09-17-2007 06:37 PM

Shot an email to Liner logic and Ron Delong said:

"We have recently made some program additions that allow it to do many new things including making a gauge out of trip data. Watch our website around the end of the month to see more details and how to get yours upgraded."

So the update should be in a week or two.

lovemysan 09-17-2007 06:44 PM

Eww! I'll bet they want to keep the scangauge at least overnight. We're still on our honeymoon tho! LOL

Mentalic 09-17-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemysan (Post 72658)
Eww! I'll bet they want to keep the scangauge at least overnight. We're still on our honeymoon tho! LOL

I'm hoping for a re-flash upgrade... Having to send it back would really suk! I've only had mine three months but driving without it would be terrible. :(