Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   People Powered (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Bike Mileage Competition & Today's Ride (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f19/bike-mileage-competition-and-todays-ride-6127.html)

Lug_Nut 10-31-2008 03:55 AM

October: 211.74 (add another 10+ for the commute back home tonight)
YTD: 1,717.32

The time change isn't all bad news for me. It's generally warmer just after sunset than just at sunrise. I'm now leaving home an hour earlier and getting home an hour earlier. Once back to standard time the schedule will be 'right'. Either way at least one of my trips will be in the dark.
HA! I'm barely 49. The cold seems to bother me more as the years come and go. I have a low temperature limit of 20F (-7C). It was 24F this morning. Colder than 20F and it's just too cold for me. Neoprene over-booties, urethane gloves, balaclava, thermax, silk, it still takes 30 minutes to get enough sensation back to be able to undo my helmet, 30 minutes before my toes thaw enough that they start to hurt again, and my nipples hurt. I previously never understood the expression feezing one's t1t$ off, now I do, and it really hurts. Some say "It's not too cold, you're just not dressed for it." I say "You're probably right. So I'll drive instead."

Mike T 11-14-2008 08:30 PM

I got another ride to work in yesterday and one two weeks earlier - it was cold and damp yesterday in the AM but dark and dry on the way home. This brings the total to 2895 km (1798 miles) for the season. 2 more rides will put me over my original target of 3000 km.

striegel 11-16-2008 04:56 PM

I've now completed 110 days of biking instead of driving since the start of the year.

It was a nice surprise when I filled up the van the other day to discover that we'd only bought gas for it once a month since July.

I plan to keep on riding through the winter, so yesterday I changed over to my studded winter tires. We have snow on the ground today and are expected to see snow every day this week.

Mike T 11-17-2008 06:07 PM

Hmmm, I'm only over 50 in rides, but each ride is LONG!

Mike T 11-18-2008 07:49 PM

I will ride on Wednesday the 19th, and get to 2950 km after the day is over.

red91sit 11-19-2008 07:06 PM

well, it finally happened, some one stole my no shifter, no brakes, clicking bearing, mismatched wheel, bent frame, bicycle. I hope they can't stop, and get ran over by a truck.

Mike T 11-19-2008 07:27 PM

Sorry to read that....

I did ride today and got to 2950 km (1832 miles), but was it ever cold. It was at or below freezing temp at a couple of points en route. One more ride and I'll be done for the year.

Lug_Nut 11-20-2008 11:58 AM

22F (-5C) yesterday morning, with a brisk breeze. I pedaled to work and felt fine. The same 22 (-5) for the trip back home, but now into the wind. Damn that's cold.
17F (-8C) this morning. I drove. Expected to be colder yet tomorrow morning.

red91sit 11-21-2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike T (Post 124447)
Sorry to read that....

I did ride today and got to 2950 km (1832 miles), but was it ever cold. It was at or below freezing temp at a couple of points en route. One more ride and I'll be done for the year.

Good news! I just forgot where I parked it haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
22F (-5C) yesterday morning, with a brisk breeze. I pedaled to work and felt fine. The same 22 (-5) for the trip back home, but now into the wind. Damn that's cold.
17F (-8C) this morning. I drove. Expected to be colder yet tomorrow morning.

That's roughly the same temperature as it is here! I was wondering, does your seat seem to freeze up? I have noticed mine has no cushioning on the cool days.

That cold wind is a double killer, you get the extra aero drag from a coat :thumbdown:

Lug_Nut 11-21-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red91sit (Post 124537)
I was wondering, does your seat seem to freeze up? I have noticed mine has no cushioning on the cool days.

It's a San Marco Regal with cast alloy rails, a rigid plastic pan, and just enough red-dyed reptile skin on top to justify the outrageous price it cost new (but I bought it second hand and it matches the bike color perfectly). You can just see it as a photo in my garage listing for the Camel Too.
The freezing occurs not in the saddle, but two layers above the saddle. The spandex and synthetic chamois aren't affected by cold, but the biological layer next up from the chamois does freeze.:eek:
I do miss my late 50's Brooks Swallow, but come on! $350+ for a modern reproduction Swallow?