Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Fuelly Web Support and Community News (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Invite button (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f2/invite-button-613.html)

suziesamantha 03-06-2011 10:24 AM

Invite button

As a suggestion for a new feature I would like to see an Invite button. Using this would send a pre-scripted email to your friend telling them about fuelly and providing a link for them. I think this would be a great way to spread the word.

pb 03-06-2011 11:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. A few people have suggested this in the past and our answer has always been, why not email folks yourself? (We have a FAQ about it here: How do I invite friends to use Fuelly?)

I know we're a bit stubborn on this, but we're very careful about how much email we send out. We don't want to be a source of annoyance in people's inboxes. We feel like the connection is stronger if people send a personal message somehow instead of an automated message.

lillismith 03-14-2011 08:51 AM

I second this request. It is hard to email a link to this site. Even just having a button with a mailto link would be good.

DTMAce 03-14-2011 02:38 PM

Well, I guess there are two ways to look at this.

One, if you as a member are particularly lazy and can't be bothered to simply copy/paste the site URL into an email to your friend and send it... I mean sheesh, its not hard.

But, on the opposite foot, having a button to send a link to someone else is not a bad thing. I mean yeah, sure, you have to hit the button, then look up or remember the email address, takes about the same amount of time, but hey.. Its an instant button for those with instant needs.

Personally, I don't mind a little effort, I don't want computers to do EVERYTHING for me. LOL

Guess I'm partly annoyed at a few posts as of late, not just this one, so don't take offense. This was designed to be a simple site, it is not going to cater to everyone. I use it, and I like it just fine. I also use an Excel spreadsheet that I import the data from this to that, to get me more information. Honestly the accuracy so far has been the same.

Convenience wise, I think too many things are being made too convenient.... But that is my opinion. God I must be getting old.

rewallac 03-21-2011 12:59 AM

Making it easier for people to invite friends is a good thing regardless of the minimal effort it make take to compose the email yourself. Besides, the whole "friend" system needs a retooling. If I want to invite someone to use Fuelly and be my friend, they need to separately join Fuelly, then find my profile, then add me as a friend. Why not have the ability to send an email that provides a link that automatically makes that person my friend when they join. For that matter why is there not the ability to search for users by email, search my gmail/yahoo contacts, search my Facebook/twitter, etc. I think will a little better social networking integration, this site could become far more popular.

pb 03-21-2011 02:22 AM

Good points rewallac. It would be nice to automate finding friends from other networks. We can add that to the 'someday' list.

If you include a link to your profile in your email to friends, it's fairly easy for them to add you as a friend here once they have an account. It's not too different from other services--you still have to create an account on Facebook, Twitter, et al before you can add someone as a friend. But I see what you mean. It'd be more convenient to have that process automated a bit more.