Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Lamentation of the vimmen (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/lamentation-of-the-vimmen-6132.html)

1993CivicVX 09-21-2007 09:44 AM

Lamentation of the vimmen

Why does it seem that these boards have mostly men on them? Is it a forum thing or even broader, a computer thing? Do women use forums less than men? if so why? Do women use computers less than men? if so why? Any studies been done on this?

Why so few women on these boards? Surely there should be no difference in the ratio of women to men wanting to save gas for their cars.

SVOboy 09-21-2007 10:01 AM

I think it's just a matter of where the interests lie. There have been one or two women signing up, but no stickers.

*shrug*

GasSavers_TomO 09-21-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 73248)
wimmen aren't gearheads and don't care about mods.
wimmen are on the computer; they're all over at ebay and home shopping network.
wimmen don't need to go online for car advice- their men are more than happy to dish out more than enough of it.

*disclaimer: of course there are a few exceptions to prove the rule. and no need for the chivalrous among us to get all bent- you just haven't been kicked in the nutz enuf yet by the sweet lil darlings to get them off that big pedestal.

I heersya bruva!

My wife Checks her email, then completes a few online courses for work, and that is it. If she wants to know car stuff or how to get better gas mileage, she asks me. I think she does it to feign interest in the things I do. She doesn't really give a rat's patooty about anything that doesn't interest her.

GasSavers_DaX 09-21-2007 12:28 PM

I have been on a few message boards that have a large vimmen population, and even some that are predominantly vimmen.

bowtieguy 09-21-2007 03:04 PM

check out my garage and you'll see what my little lady thinks about FE. same motor, WAY different results!

unstable bob 09-21-2007 04:13 PM

My wife doesn't post here, but she is interested in MPGs. She actually came to me about trying acetone a while back, and went out and bought her own funnel. :) We talk about various ideas, and she now religiously checks her tire psi and adds air as needed, especially after she saw a nice gain in MPG with increased psi. :)

ffvben 09-22-2007 06:41 AM

I think a huge percent of men love to save cash. $10 hair cut vs $150 for a woman. saving gas means more mula in the wallet vs a little money in that $300 purse. buying 2-3 pairs of shoes that last years vs 2-3 dozen pairs that she might wear 1-2xs per year, then they go out of style and have to buy more. yea I'm cheap but I gota keep the wife happy :) so I don't see much females on this money saving site. now if this site offered 20% coupon at a online store she might read through it. granted my wife is different, she'll spend hours on the PC looking at espn/nfl sites or home improvement sites.

bowtieguy 09-22-2007 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffvben (Post 73376)
I think a huge percent of men love to save cash. $10 hair cut vs $150 for a woman. saving gas means more mula in the wallet vs a little money in that $300 purse. buying 2-3 pairs of shoes that last years vs 2-3 dozen pairs that she might wear 1-2xs per year, then they go out of style and have to buy more. yea I'm cheap but I gota keep the wife happy :) so I don't see much females on this money saving site. now if this site offered 20% coupon at a online store she might read through it. granted my wife is different, she'll spend hours on the PC looking at espn/nfl sites or home improvement sites.

what you talking' 'bout willis? $10 haircut(plus tip)--NO WAY!!! i cut my own hair with clippers that cost me $9!!!

Mentalic 09-22-2007 04:42 PM

My Wife is on one of her two computers all the time, no doubt spends more time online than me. To be fair we both have two computers though.

Not many women like playing with machines like cars. Cars are just tools to get them someplace, not something to care for or optimize. They like how they look, don't care to know how they work.

My Wife also has absolutely no intention of ever trying to get better FE by her own effort, so its safe to say she will never read this post. What ever FE she gets is what it is. I've been trying to tune her driving style for more than 20 years and I just don't bother anymore. Way more peacefull that way. ;)

Any type of FE driving tech or mod I'm doing results in her rolling her eyes with the "I cannot believe your doing that look".