Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   So a Friend of mine Got Arrested This Morning... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/so-a-friend-of-mine-got-arrested-this-morning-6134.html)

trebuchet03 09-21-2007 10:35 AM

So a Friend of mine Got Arrested This Morning...

So a friend of mine, we met over the summer, got arrested this morning in Boston... Yep, she's the one with the crazy hoodie who went to meet someone at Logan Airport, Boston.

https://www.boingboing.net/2007/09/21...-arrested.html

For the record, that's not something she cobbled together just to go to the airport (she's had it for awhile and wore it). She said she wanted to stand out on career day... And the police couldn't figure out what that meant... Here's a clue, she's a college student - her university just so happens to be in the middle of their career fair. Can I take the title of detective now?

I hope things work out okay... I'm going to try calling her later to see if she's okay and find out if the media is twisting crap....

trebuchet03 09-21-2007 10:44 AM

AHHHH! I can't trust the media at all!!!!

They're saying she went to meet her boy friend - left the court with her boy friend.... The man they're calling her boyfriend.... Isn't her boyfriend, I've met her boyfriend before.

arg.

GasSavers_Red 09-21-2007 10:46 AM

Sucks that happened to her. How stupid is airport security to confuse a little breadboard with some LEDs with a bomb?

omgwtfbyobbq 09-21-2007 10:59 AM

I wouldn't say stupid, just poorly trained. Same goes for quite a few other areas too imo. The terrorists r FTW1 anyway.

SVOboy 09-21-2007 11:05 AM

I hope everything works out for her...

2TonJellyBean 09-21-2007 11:22 AM

She was very fortunate actually, especially compared to what happened to Jean Charles de Menezes in London a couple of years ago.

omgwtfbyobbq 09-21-2007 12:45 PM

It's more like a Drag Queen saying to their friends "I'm on fire girl!" than someone shouting "Fire." in a theater... LEOs need better training.

trebuchet03 09-21-2007 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 73290)
It's more like a Drag Queen saying to their friends "I'm on fire girl!" than someone shouting "Fire." in a theater... LEOs need better training.

Bingo...

The LED's make a star -- her name just so happens to be: Star :thumbup:

trebuchet03 09-21-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 73293)
i'm not condoning the enforcement action,,,,,,,, but the reality on the ground today is that airport security has very happy trigger fingers,,,,,,,"homeland security" has enabled lawr enforcement to act like jack-booted thugs with no fear of reprisal,,,,,,,,,anyone that doesn't know that has to have been living under a rock. she freakin' begged for this.

Right, and instead of protesting injustice for flawed security practices, we're blaming her. Two years ago, I got on an international flight with a pocket knife and a screw driver (both unknowingly) without a bit of trouble. A few months ago, I got on a domestic and then later an international flight with an IED - literally, wires were hanging from my pocket. This isn't a triumph of security, it's a disaster of focus.

Somewhat recently, a man was questioned because of his programmer board - he soldered a 10 ohm resister across to leads so he could measure current easily. But, I'm fairly sure this didn't happen in Boston. Similarly, someone was questioned for his mintyboost (a 5v boost converter for USB electronics - you buy as a kit and assemble yourself in an altoids tin). He was detained and eventually was let through security after missing his plane - but they took the D batteries that went with it. Ya, D batteries apparently are on the "questionable" list, 'remove on slight suspicion.'

A few month ago 5 out of 9 tests conducted by the TSA on TSA workers were a fail. The workers were able to remove the Dasani water bottle, but missed the bomb in the same carry on bag. The TSA stated 'The tests were meant to be a fail, so the outcome was expected.' Freaking really, as if someone that was going to cause harm intends on showing the TSA their handiwork.

It's corollary to the group of people that said "she deserved it" when that girl/stripper accused the duke lacrosse team of rape. The difference is, one situation strikes a political note, the other a religious/moral one.

------
As I've said from the beginning, before I cam here, when someone decides to strike - it's going to be through legal channels and likely in plain site. Potassium permanganate (disinfectant and water treatment) and Glycerine (for diarrhea) are completely legal on a plane - hell, they give you aluminum (cans) - you're 3/4 away from thermite...

cfg83 09-21-2007 01:35 PM

trebuchet03 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 73291)
Bingo...

The LED's make a star -- her name just so happens to be: Star :thumbup:

LEDs are a no-no in Boston :

2007 Boston Mooninite Scare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Te...ton_bomb_scare
Quote:

On January 31 2007, LED displays depicting the Mooninites were installed throughout the Boston area by Peter Berdovsky, 27, and Sean Stevens, 28 as part of an elaborate national guerrilla marketing campaign. The LEDs were taken to be suspicious, prompting authorities in Boston, Massachusetts to close down major road and waterways to investigate. Turner Broadcasting System later admitted placing the LEDs in ten major cities (including Boston), and apologized for the misunderstanding. Despite the uproar, Berdovsky and Stevens mocked the critics and the media in interviews despite being charged with "placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct". Turner Broadcasting has paid one million dollars to the Boston Police Department to cover the cost of their investigation and another million in good will funding. These actions were made to settle any criminal and civil claims, and the general manager of Cartoon Network has stepped down as a result of the incident. Boston was the only city out of 10 in which the LED displays (which resembled Lite-Brites) were seen as any matter of concern. They had also been up for weeks before the panic.
Maybe the BPD hopes to make another cash-in.

Don't fear the LED!!!!!!

CarloSW2