Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   electrical system on the blink? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/electrical-system-on-the-blink-6164.html)

1993CivicVX 09-24-2007 12:42 PM

electrical system on the blink?

I made a post awhile ago about my VSS needing replacement. The mechanic said the cluster needed to replaced. Someone else on here said just replace the VSS sensor. Well, another mechanic said that if it comes on and off then it's prolly not the VSS sensor but an electrical problem (which is proly why the first mechanic said to replace the whole cluster)

The reason I am bringing this up again is because my headlights low beams went kaput. My high beams still work and my ambers still work but not the low beams. I'm thinking it's also an electrical issue and not bulbs. If it is not bulbs... what kind of problem do I have on my hands and how the heebles am I going to fix it? I'm running out of money :( starving student.

GasSavers_DaX 09-24-2007 01:02 PM

Is the harness in your VX chopped at all or is it still virgin?

I had a funky speedometer in my VX (on and off) and it turned out the plastic clip on the connector at the VSS was broken off, and the plug wouldn't stay connected. I stole a new plug off a donor harness and it worked good as new.

Another friend was having the same problem - his turned out to be a bad VSS. Water had gotten down in the electrical connection and corroded one of the male pins on the VSS - it ended up breaking off in the female pin of the plug. We installed a new VSS and I pulled the broken pin out of the plug and it was good as new.

Do some sleuth work and see if either of these are your problem. There should be three male pins in the VSS, all the same length.

1993CivicVX 09-24-2007 01:35 PM

sweet! thanks man. I vill look into it. My VSS will be coming any day now.

SVOboy 09-24-2007 01:57 PM

You gonna come up here and do some work? I've got all my tools warming up under my bed.

1993CivicVX 09-24-2007 05:18 PM

so you did bring em! Yessirree this weekend would be great.

Danronian 09-24-2007 06:42 PM

I don't think it's the cluster. Probably the electric VSS since they seem to go bad often due to moisture as said above. But also check your engine bay grounds to make sure they are good.

GasSavers_TomO 09-24-2007 07:43 PM

I'm betting $1 USD that there is at least one corroded pin in the VSS....any takers? :D

1993CivicVX 09-26-2007 07:59 PM

The VSS still hasn't come :( Ebay seller has 100% rating. I emailed an annoyed email but no reply. What are the odds? (Seems they were less than one in a hundred... but I guess not) Hopefully it will be here by Friday! SVOboy, I am planning on coming up! Wombosi might be coming too. Or next weekend, since the damn VSS ain't here yet. And I should really order the o2 sensor as well given the high mileage of my punctilious pugnillious.