Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Vehicles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Chevy Tahoe Hybrid (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f35/chevy-tahoe-hybrid-6204.html)

bowtieguy 09-26-2007 02:04 PM

Chevy Tahoe Hybrid

anyone seen the new chevy tahoe hybrid? an orlando sentinel writer took two test drives with one. first of its kind "two-mode" hybrid GM claims. comes w/ aero designs,lrr tires,light weight components,etc. all this in a 6 liter v8 w/ cylinder deactivation. oh yes, manufactured in partnership w/ daimlerchrysler and BMW.
now the nitty-gritty. 332hp,6k towing capac.,25-40% FE increase(no rating from EPA yet). the test drives,with little stop and go driving,yielded 18.9 mpg avg. this comes with a price of $1500-2000 over the regular tahoe.
wait a minute! i like GM, but give me a break. is this the best they can do? will it sell? this member is not impressed!
well all will be forgiven if they can make an impala that gets 40mpg. GM claims this "new" hybid tech can be replicated in smaller vehicles. JUST DO IT!

GasSavers_Red 09-26-2007 03:25 PM

I get that MPG riding around in a rig built during the stoneage......

I thought the Tahoe came with the 5.3 not the 6.x? Would have made a whole lot more sense for them to have coupled their new tech either with something like the 4.3 v6, 4.2 I6 or a smaller V8 rather than a full size.

bowtieguy 09-26-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 73978)
I get that MPG riding around in a rig built during the stoneage......

I thought the Tahoe came with the 5.3 not the 6.x? Would have made a whole lot more sense for them to have coupled their new tech either with something like the 4.3 v6, 4.2 I6 or a smaller V8 rather than a full size.

the engineer thought about going w/ a smaller engine, but was afraid it would "compromise power."
you are correct about the reg tahoe--5.3 gas guzzling liters!
going w/ a v6 would have been my choice. how many people are going to tow w/ a hybrid anyway? unless perhaps it was a true truck(open bed).

SVOboy 09-26-2007 04:03 PM

Mehbe if GM offered them to the workers they could finally force them all to retire so they can move all they plants to mexico...

But yeah, I hate when people try to greenwash cars by throwing hybrid systems in there...oh well...

*whinesmore*

I'm in a bad mood cuz the debate is going on at my college right now and it's causing a ruckus.

rh77 09-26-2007 07:14 PM

GM Cylinder Deactivation

Good luck the debate ruckus, Ben...

Anyhoo-

GM's Cylinder Deactivation is a feeble attempt.

I drove an Impala lately with the 3.9L "Active Fuel Management" system. For the average driving situation, FE didn't budge. The 3.5L is fast enough and much more efficient. If you were conscious about it, I can see 3-cylinders working to benefit mid-speed and town driving. Otherwise, it's more to repair later.

If it works to improve FE, so be it -- I guess.

RH77

2TonJellyBean 09-26-2007 07:21 PM

that's pretty good because that 6/6.2 is thirsty, still i'd take that number with a grain of salt - no idea how many short trips, hills or foot plantings are included

they really should've used the 5.3

repete86 09-26-2007 07:30 PM

More greenwashing bull**** designed to make you feel good about buying trucks. First there was the 'buy Amerikkkan' crap making it patriotic to buy a big truck that they don't mention was primarily built outside of the US, and now they're on to this. What's scary is that people believe this hogwash.

2TonJellyBean 09-26-2007 07:37 PM

actually from what i've read the 5.3 is std... these aren't sold in canada

repete - all cars with tailpipes are evil, especially the old ones

GasSavers_TomO 09-26-2007 07:42 PM

In keeping a somewhat optimistic look on this information:
If the trickle down theory can hold true in this light maybe when the CAFE fleet MPG standard HAS to be met in 2010 (or 20011 or 2012, whenever it was) This technology will be in all of GM's cars.

repete86 09-26-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean (Post 74028)
repete - all cars with tailpipes are evil, especially the old ones

I agree. That's why I keep my driving to the absolute minimum. I haven't posted a gaslog in a month not because I haven't posted one but because I haven't filled. Most of my driving is work related because I need to bring gear to and from film sets. Bikes are better.

GasSavers_Red 09-26-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 73980)
the engineer thought about going w/ a smaller engine, but was afraid it would "compromise power."
you are correct about the reg tahoe--5.3 gas guzzling liters!
going w/ a v6 would have been my choice. how many people are going to tow w/ a hybrid anyway? unless perhaps it was a true truck(open bed).

The ones that do end up buying it are going to have it sitting on 7" of lift and running DUBs. Its a hybrid only as a PR stunt. Depending how GM trys to sell the Tahoe it could either be a big seller among the brainless or the new "pansy" truck like the Silvarado hybrid (early 2000?)

On the flipside, if enough of the brainless buy it, truck grade hybrid parts should be showing up in junk yards. :cool: A few adapters from AA or Novak and someone could be in business.