Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Grill block questions (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/grill-block-questions-6224.html)

bowtieguy 09-28-2007 02:19 PM

Grill block questions

ok, decided to try blocking the grill on my olds. got some aluminum tape that will make an inexpensive/temporary test run; also be easy to remove on the road if necessary. have some questions tho.

question 1: should any of the eight slotted holes stay unblocked? two maybe?

question 2: should the large opening at the bottom(do not know what it is called) be blocked? if so, fully blocked or not?

brucepick 09-28-2007 03:12 PM

Since you're in FL and it's still pretty warm in late Sept., I'd start conservatively. Maybe block half the upper slots. Leave the lower set (below the bumper?) open. See how it goes. Be ready to kill the a/c quickly or run the cabin heater hard to cool the engine if the gauge goes up.

My own car needs the lower openings open, and the uppers maybe 1/4 open. Otherwise the gauge just barely starts climbing. Fan kicks in and brings it back down (I have an LED to tell me when fan kicks in).

bowtieguy 09-29-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucepick (Post 74295)
Since you're in FL and it's still pretty warm in late Sept., I'd start conservatively. Maybe block half the upper slots. Leave the lower set (below the bumper?) open. See how it goes. Be ready to kill the a/c quickly or run the cabin heater hard to cool the engine if the gauge goes up.

My own car needs the lower openings open, and the uppers maybe 1/4 open. Otherwise the gauge just barely starts climbing. Fan kicks in and brings it back down (I have an LED to tell me when fan kicks in).

thank you and yes the lower opening IS below the bumper. above the air dam.

SVOboy 09-29-2007 01:43 PM

Do you have any pictures handy?

bowtieguy 09-29-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 74376)
Do you have any pictures handy?

give me some time. if you recall, i am a REAL newbie(to this forum and to the net in general). got a digital camera, just need time to figure out how to paste it here. thank you for your patience.

dogncatboy 09-30-2007 07:16 AM

Get yourself a free account at photobucket.com and upload your pics there. Then you just need to link to the URL of that pic by clicking on the direct link to copy it automatically. To add the pic to your message you click the little mountain picture icon in the toolbar for the reply box and paste the URL there. There are others beside photobucket, but that's what I use. Good luck!

SVOboy 09-30-2007 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtieguy (Post 74381)
give me some time. if you recall, i am a REAL newbie(to this forum and to the net in general). got a digital camera, just need time to figure out how to paste it here. thank you for your patience.

Kewl, take your time!

KARR 10-01-2007 05:35 PM

we'll be looking forward to your work!

bowtieguy 10-29-2007 02:54 PM

FINALLY got my garage pics w/cheapy grill block(top and bottom). very cost effective(everything already in house): foil tape, expanding foam, and silver paint. looks cheap 'cause it IS! what do you guys think?

www.gassavers.org/garage/view/775

Danronian 10-29-2007 05:30 PM

Wow that is a tank. Great cheap mod! I also made mine with some thick plastic I found at work a few years back. Works great for me.

Great to see you are getting better mileage with your "tank."