Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Major Accord Servicing (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/major-accord-servicing-6274.html)

2TonJellyBean 10-02-2007 09:30 PM

Major Accord Servicing

The other half's 2001 4 cyl stick Accord is going in for servicing. 88,000 kilometers (55K) and it is 6 years old - nothing has ever been changed on it except the oil, wipers and air filter. We have a great independent mechanic that it'll be going to. I'm looking at doing the following...

- replace timing belt
- replace water pump (heard this is wise to do with belt - is it?)
- replace manual tranny fluid (maybe go synthetic)
- replace coolant
- replace brake fluid
- check/replace accessory belts
- add engine block heater
- rear drums are a bit notchy

Would it be worth doing plugs and wires at this stage?

Anything else that should be done?

theclencher 10-02-2007 09:35 PM

if the mechanic is great, he'll know.

i wouldn't replace a 6 year old water pump with only 55,000M. it's dang near new!

Gary Palmer 10-03-2007 09:17 AM

If it were some other brand of car, I would do the water pump. With it being a Honda, I would agree with Clencher, about not replacing it. I would change it the next time you have the belt replaced, but that would probably be another 6 years and another 60,000 miles, or so. Everything else, I would consider replacing, but it's really more of a time issue, than a mileage issue. I would do the plugs.

Pyrorocketeer 10-03-2007 10:57 AM

don't listen to those who said you shouldn't have to replace it. replace the damn thing anytime you change your timing belt. you'll be kicking yourself 20k miles down the road when it starts leaking and you have to take it back in to get it replaced anyways.

they have the timing belt off already, put the new one in, and call it a day, and don't worry about it for another 60k miles.

EDIT: also, go for the synthetic tranny fluid, it will make a world of difference when shifting in the cold.

SVOboy 10-03-2007 11:19 AM

I wouldn't even be changing my timing belt so soon, I'd prolly let 80-90kmiles roll around first, :p

Put it sounds like a decent plan for the careful side.

theclencher 10-03-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrorocketeer (Post 74999)
don't listen to those who said you shouldn't have to replace it. replace the damn thing anytime you change your timing belt. you'll be kicking yourself 20k miles down the road when it starts leaking and you have to take it back in to get it replaced anyways.

they have the timing belt off already, put the new one in, and call it a day, and don't worry about it for another 60k miles.

EDIT: also, go for the synthetic tranny fluid, it will make a world of difference when shifting in the cold.

WOW, if that's Honda quality, I'll have none of it!!!

Your local parts store must love you!

Danronian 10-03-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 75005)
WOW, if that's Honda quality, I'll have none of it!!!

Your local parts store must love you!

I feel the same way. I wouldnt change those things until your maintenence manual says too. It's just wasted money in my opinion. I would consult your manual, talk to the mechanic, and then come up with what should be replaced.

Good luck.

omgwtfbyobbq 10-03-2007 12:50 PM

X3! I don't change stuff until it breaks, provided it won't take anything else expensive w/ it, ala a t-belt on an interference engine. My WP is at ~170k miles, along w/ the rest of the engine, less some ignition stuff and gaskets.

thisisntjared 10-03-2007 12:52 PM

i have seen some civics with 180000+ miles on them with the original timing belt and water pump....

i would only change it when honda says to unless it is a worked track car. since it is an accord, i doubt it is a track car.

omgwtfbyobbq 10-03-2007 12:55 PM

Well.... I wouldn't go 180k miles on a timing belt for an interference engine, but the WP should last a decent amount of time.