Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   A unique aero-related observation... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f14/a-unique-aero-related-observation-6336.html)

SL8Brick 10-09-2007 06:04 AM

A unique aero-related observation...

In past posts, I've mentioned the addition of a 1"x1.5" rear lip spoiler to the rear hatch of my Volvo 240 wagon. Over the past several months, I've been noticing something different happening behind the car @ speeds over 45mph. While driving on rain soaked roads, there appears to be a "wall" of upward flowing water mist that seems to extend from under the rear bumper(@ ~45deg.) and disapates somewhere above the roofline. Now that Fall is upon us, I've also noticed a similar pattern with fallen leaves on the road. Prior to the installation of the spoiler, there were no noticeable flow patterns behind the car. I realize that this observation is non-scientific, but there clearly is something different happening back there.

Any thoughts??

s1120 10-09-2007 11:21 AM

Sounds like the spoiler is creating a low presure aera at the rear and "sucking" the stuff up from the bottom.

SL8Brick 10-09-2007 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1120 (Post 75864)
Sounds like the spoiler is creating a low presure aera at the rear and "sucking" the stuff up from the bottom.

Kinda what I was thinking as well. But is it feasible that a small spoiler could have such a dramatic effect?

trebuchet03 10-09-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SL8Brick (Post 75865)
Kinda what I was thinking as well. But is it feasible that a small spoiler could have such a dramatic effect?

Tilt it 90 degrees (straight up) and watch what it does to your aero :p

Honestly, I don't know - but these interactions are rather complex (especially turbulant interactions, so much so that we "know" very little about turbulant interactions).

You could try taking it off and seeing if the same updraft is there ;) There is a possibility that the spoiler is making you look at something you didn't pay attention to before :thumbup:

SL8Brick 10-10-2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 75869)
Tilt it 90 degrees (straight up) and watch what it does to your aero :p

Actually, its non-adjustable. It has a gradual incline angle to 45deg.

Quote:

Honestly, I don't know - but these interactions are rather complex (especially turbulant interactions, so much so that we "know" very little about turbulant interactions).

But aren't there general rules regarding high/low pressure zones? Eg: High pressure being drawn/attracted to low pressure areas, attemping to 'fill the void'...so to speak?

Quote:

You could try taking it off and seeing if the same updraft is there ;) There is a possibility that the spoiler is making you look at something you didn't pay attention to before :thumbup:

Like I mentioned before(...and brucepick might concur;) ), there were no visible flow patterns without the spoiler. I've been driving Volvo wagons for over 20yrs and I've never seen anything like this. I suppose I'm most curious to know if the altered flow induced by the spoiler is beneficial or not.

MetroMPG 10-10-2007 05:03 AM

Can you, or have you posted a pic of your spoiler?

SL8Brick 10-10-2007 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 75990)
Can you, or have you posted a pic of your spoiler?

Pics are here....https://gallery.newbug.org/volvo

MetroMPG 10-10-2007 06:08 AM

Why did you choose an upwards angled spoiler? I would say it likely increases the size of the wake behind the vehicle.

SL8Brick 10-10-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 75998)
Why did you choose an upwards angled spoiler? I would say it likely increases the size of the wake behind the vehicle.

Believe it or not, the OE lip spoiler on some of the new Chrysler PT Cruisers was my inspiration. The Chevy Malibu Maxx SS is another "two box" with a positive downforce spoiler.
I don't doubt that my spoiler has increased the size of the wake. But it does seem to be providing 'order'(...for lack of a better word) to the airflow where outright chaos most likely existed before.
I LOVE the new C30 and I appreciate the potential benefits of the kammback design. But as brucepick had mentioned in a previous topic, it would be difficult to install a functional kammback on 240 wagon and still maintain the practicallity of the rear hatch.

MetroMPG 10-10-2007 10:09 AM

OK - so you were intentionally going for downforce, rather than reduced drag. Sorry - I misunderstood!