Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Car Reviews (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   '01 5spd Honda Insight (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/01-5spd-honda-insight-6338.html)

whychug 10-09-2007 08:49 AM

'01 5spd Honda Insight

After months of searching, I finally found my ideal insight. It was a one owner (way cool little grandmother) low mile, monte carlo blue insight in near mint condition. All maintenance records since day one and with the ECU replaced under warranty and the batteries covered with Honda's recently extended warranty for 10 years, 150,000 miles so I felt very comfortable with the big ticket items. I filled up the tires to 45 psi before the 225 mile trek back to MD and without really trying achieved 83.4 MPG average for the trip! With a 10.6 gal tank I should be able to fill up once a month! The fuel consumption display is amazing to watch and really helps correct improper thrifty driving techs. Mixed highway/city driving has taken its toll on my tank mpg avg, dropping me down to 80.3 mpg but I'm confident that as I learn I can keep it around 85. Mind you, these numbers are bone stock with no mods and not hypermiling, simply driving the speed limit...

Anybody that is even entertaining the possibility of getting one, I wholeheartedly recommend this amazing car. I was pretty impressed with the 50 mpg avg of a VX, but the insight is in a league of it own!

1993CivicVX 10-09-2007 08:51 AM

wow.

McPatrick 10-09-2007 08:59 AM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. The thing with the Insight though is that it still comes with a price tag. Can I ask what you got it for?

I can imagine how exciting it is doing above 80 figures as I just got excited this week to get above 60 figures :)

Bet you're gonna pamper that puppy ! Oh and post some pics if you can. It's always fun seeing good pics of other peoples cars.

SVOboy 10-09-2007 09:32 AM

Wombosi should still get one...

Very nice, enter a gaslog...

rh77 10-09-2007 10:19 AM

Cool

Gaslog and Pics!

What a find...

I keep forgetting that if the batts and/or IMA was shot, then it would make a great candidate for engine swap.

Enjoy the new ride :thumbup:

RH77

trebuchet03 10-09-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPatrick (Post 75857)
The thing with the Insight though is that it still comes with a price tag. Can I ask what you got it for?.

:confused: It really doesn't come with any tag - discontinued :p

Unless they have really high resale value :p Which, if it does, is for a reason :thumbup:

1993CivicVX 10-09-2007 01:13 PM

Few days ago there was an Insight in Phoenix Arizona, same color, 113,000 miles, new battery, car cover, immaculate condition, $6000. My friend I tipped off about it was all set to buy it but the seller was only willing to deal locally. At that price, it sold within a day. SVOBoy, it was Wombosi's step dad who was going to buy it. Yes, he should. :)

SVOboy 10-09-2007 01:31 PM

Yeah, make his dad buy it and then kill the father...good plan!

1993CivicVX 10-09-2007 01:42 PM

Ssshhhhh!! Jeez man, you don't have to blurt it all over the internet.

Erdrick 10-09-2007 09:10 PM

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for a wrecker at the auction. Unfortunately, I don't deal with rear-end crashes, and I doubt the people who drive these would be the CAUSE of an accident. Kinda blows my chances of scoring one of these gems I would guess.

trebuchet03 10-09-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erdrick (Post 75979)
Kinda blows my chances of scoring one of these gems I would guess.

Gems eh? Probably easier to find than an insight :p

https://www.idealgadget.com/wp-conten...object-car.jpg

BumblingB 10-10-2007 06:02 PM

GREAT going! What is low mileage? No worries for the any of the IMA system, Honda has been a great backer of their product so if it died tomorrow you'll be OK. :) Nice catch for a Monte Carlo blue, that's always been my second favorite color for the Insights. I'm assuming it's obviously running on the RE92's with those mileage #'s, don't be shy though - bump them up to 50psi.

You're gonna love it.

whychug 10-12-2007 07:46 AM

Wazabi- I plan to bump the PSI up to 50, but I wanna finish off this tank at 45 so I have a baseline to compare it to. So far I'm at 640 miles with 1/4 tank remaining. I reset the lifetime MPG (52.5) when I got it, and now its 85.6... My goal is to keep lmpg above 80. Mileage is 60k, with the 60,000 service performed a week before I bought it. Lovin the mileage numbers, but man are the factory speakers weak... Why ever did you sell yours?

SVOboy 10-12-2007 07:49 AM

Sweet job with the insight!

Garage entry, garage entry!

BumblingB 10-12-2007 07:08 PM

I reset the lifetime on mine too when I originally bought it.

I swapped mine out for some Sony Xplode? speakers someone gave me for installing an interior in a Civic - took me all of an hour. Anyway, they sounded great.

Sounds like you are doing great with the mileage, my top tank I covered around 770 miles - give or take a few.

I loved that car, I loved it enough to get rid of it because of the road I live on. It was beating the heck out of the car. By the time I get my new SMART hopefully I'll have this road in the works for getting paved. I have some more talking to the county but I think they are seeing things my way and with any luck it'll be paved.

I haven't called the gentleman I sold it to lately to see how it's doing - the car really was my baby and I miss it. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by whychug (Post 76363)
Wazabi- I plan to bump the PSI up to 50, but I wanna finish off this tank at 45 so I have a baseline to compare it to. So far I'm at 640 miles with 1/4 tank remaining. I reset the lifetime MPG (52.5) when I got it, and now its 85.6... My goal is to keep lmpg above 80. Mileage is 60k, with the 60,000 service performed a week before I bought it. Lovin the mileage numbers, but man are the factory speakers weak... Why ever did you sell yours?

rh77 10-12-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner (Post 76462)
I loved that car, I loved it enough to get rid of it because of the road I live on.

But the road's OK for the '65 Stingray with Side-Pipes? :D

I tease! Anyways, is that new to the collection???

RH77

BumblingB 10-12-2007 07:58 PM

It's a '63 and it's not a daily driver on the road. Actually hasn't been on ANY road for around 4 years - around June '03 when I bought my FIRST hybrid. This last week I've been working steady on it to get it back on the road and safe. We've (my father and I) have been accumulating parts for it for around 20 years and we had to dip into the stockpile as I've had a hankerin' to get it on the road. Replacing all brakes, rear spring, front springs, all front end hardware, power steering control valve, rebuild the ram assembly, rebuild the master cylinder though I did rebuild it only 1500 miles ago - something about time taking it's toll on it (it was back in 1987 when I rebuilt the master cylinder).

It's nowhere near an Insight mileage but it isn't horrible as it has highway gears plus with the 1965 sidepipes it breathes easier. The car is a member of the family and been in the family much longer than my college going nephews and nieces.

One thing in common is both received the same fanfare when they initially came out. My father went out and test drove and bought a new 1963 Corvette back in 1963 and in 2000 I went out and test drove a 2000 Insight though I waiting until 2005 before I got one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 76464)
But the road's OK for the '65 Stingray with Side-Pipes? :D

I tease! Anyways, is that new to the collection???

RH77