Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Milage keeps decreasing with every tank... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/milage-keeps-decreasing-with-every-tank-6438.html)

SVOboy 10-21-2007 03:15 PM

Get in better shape or get some easier gearing for the hillz, :p

1993CivicVX 10-21-2007 06:36 PM

I was riding with a group of fairly solid riders this summer. The bike I was using didn't have a granny gear. Everyone else spinning up the hills nice and slow at a good high RPM and I'm struggling to maintain 8mph. By the end of the summer I was able to tackle the big hills and manage to keep from falling under 8mph. (any slower than that and the RPMs get too slow and then it sucketh the big time.) It was challenging and all, but biking is fun; the hardship of hills seems worth it to me.

GasSavers_Minger 10-21-2007 07:47 PM

Hmmm...tempting. Only other thing I can think of that would stop (or make me getinto freaking good shape) is that usually I have a break in the day - sometimes 3-4 hours, so I go home...either I toughen up and get in shape or die on thew a...:p

Maybe in the spring...but II just keep postponing working out :/

SVOboy 10-21-2007 08:46 PM

Start now!

1993CivicVX 10-22-2007 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minger (Post 77484)
My MPG seems to be fluctuating a lot, despite my trips being the same - I once hit 41-42ish, but my last fill was barely 35...its weird, because the trip is generally the same - from my house, its about a mile or two (engine warms up in this time), and then a lot of hills to school...

The hills I drop to neutral, generally 40-45ish at the peaks and a max of 60 on the downhill, then rev match (or at least try to, no tach...yet) and let the speed bleed off to around 40ish when I get to the top of the hill, but sometimes lower, as the car doesn't force itself to downshift until I drop below 30mph.

Anyways, maybe its just me or the weather, as its getting colder now...and if its me, the scanguage should come in tomorrow.

:)

I just brought it in for an inspection and oil change today as well.

And how do I get the sig? Or does that just come with time...

Join the club minger! My driving improves and my mileage goes down. What fun! I want to know how come some people have a 90 day running average. Not that I have anything to show off.

JanGeo 10-22-2007 07:30 AM

A few things to check when your mileage starts dropping would be: Air pressure in the tires, brakes dragging check for warm wheels and rims, Oil getting close to the end of its life needs changing, exhaust pipe soot buildup from faulty injection, fuel leak, colder temperatures, low engine temps from faulty thermostat - to name just a few things.

GasSavers_Minger 10-22-2007 09:10 AM

Just got inspection and oil changed...the rest should be decent as its still a fairly new car, psi is 43ish cold

one more question - if the scanguage gives me the current mpg as around 100+ when in neutral, and 9999 when in gear when coasting, should I continue to coast in neutral or in gear?

SVOboy 10-22-2007 10:08 AM

The coasting question is a difficult one...you will use no fuel coasting in gear (on a manual) but some coasting in neutral. I usually cost in gear to a stop and neutral when I don't want to slow down.

GasSavers_Minger 10-22-2007 11:27 AM

Weird. You'd think they'd have found a way to shut it off when in neutral, but then again, I might just not know what I'm talking about. Which I don't.

I guess I'll AB it with my first trip today and when I go back to school in half an hour...which ones higher.

SVOboy 10-22-2007 11:42 AM

You can always shut it off yourself, :p