Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Milage keeps decreasing with every tank... (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/milage-keeps-decreasing-with-every-tank-6438.html)

GasSavers_Minger 10-22-2007 01:12 PM

I know, but I can't get a minute out of it - theres only like three places where I can do that (one pulling into work, about .7 of a mile, another down a hill to a light thats usually red, and one pulling into my neighborhood, which means I have to turn fast and the neighbors don't like it :P)

SVOboy 10-22-2007 01:15 PM

Well then, guess you'll have to bike.

JanGeo 10-22-2007 01:16 PM

What you see in neutral is the minimum fuel it takes to keep the engine turning over at idle - end in gear it doesn't take any fuel to keep it turning over becuae the engine is being turned over by the transmission - wheels - energy in the car . . . thus saving even more fuel but slowing you down a little. So coast in neutral when you do not want to slow down and coast in gear when you want to slow down or need to limit your down hill speed. Cool that it can figure out that the injectors are shutdown when in gear - my Scion doesn't do that and I end up with lower than actual MPG readings whenI engine brake a lot.

GasSavers_Minger 10-22-2007 01:19 PM

Cool, never thought about that.

Its just that the first time I saw 9999 i was like 'LOLWTF?' :D

1993CivicVX 10-22-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanGeo (Post 77856)
What you see in neutral is the minimum fuel it takes to keep the engine turning over at idle - end in gear it doesn't take any fuel to keep it turning over becuae the engine is being turned over by the transmission - wheels - energy in the car . . . thus saving even more fuel but slowing you down a little. So coast in neutral when you do not want to slow down and coast in gear when you want to slow down or need to limit your down hill speed. Cool that it can figure out that the injectors are shutdown when in gear - my Scion doesn't do that and I end up with lower than actual MPG readings whenI engine brake a lot.

My VX goes faster in gear than in neutral when coasting! Does it also use less fuel in gear!?

SVOboy 10-22-2007 03:00 PM

No, it only uses no fuel when engine braking.

1993CivicVX 10-22-2007 03:07 PM

Wait, in gear it's using no fuel? For real? I've been wasting fuel this whole time?!?!?!?!?

Let me get this straight. I put it in gear, but don't touch the gas pedal. I'm using no fuel?!?

SVOboy 10-22-2007 03:09 PM

Only if you're engine braking...if you're at a low enough rpm and not engine braking the car will be injecting fuel.

Buy a freaking supermid already.

1993CivicVX 10-22-2007 03:22 PM

Hmm... yeah, tires first. Then maybe supermid. You'll have to install it for me tho. :p

Gary Palmer 10-22-2007 05:00 PM

On your car, when your throttle is closed (foot off of the pedal) and the engine rpm is above about 1500 rpm, the ecu doesn't enable the injectors and it doesn't use any fuel. When your engine rpm gets to about 1500, then the injectors are used to bring the engine to a smooth idle.