Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions and Running Gear (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Ford Taraus trans. oil change ? HELP (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f11/ford-taraus-trans-oil-change-help-6446.html)

RazBarlow 10-21-2007 06:50 AM

Ford Taraus trans. oil change ? HELP

I have changed my own engine oil for years but have never done my own transmission oil change. Would it be that hard on this vehicle ? What all do I need ?
What type of atf do you recommend ?
Thanks,
Raz

SVOboy 10-21-2007 06:57 AM

It shouldn't be too hard, I'd just read up on the procedure in a shop manual and make sure to follow it...

I don't know what kind of ATF you would need, last time I did an auto oil change I just used honda stuff, :p

RazBarlow 10-21-2007 07:00 AM

Do you usually just pull the pan off ? I haven't noticed a drain plug.
Thanks,
raz

SVOboy 10-21-2007 07:03 AM

On the 2004 civic I did there was a drain plug somewhere...I suggest looking at a manual or having someone in the know tell you how to drain it.

bowtieguy 10-21-2007 07:09 AM

if you don't have a repair manual, get one($15-20)! IF your ford is like my domestic(olds). besides the right size socket and wrench, a torque wrench would be great. get a catch pan of course and newspaper to catch spillage after dropping the pan.

my filter twists(turns) and pops right out. you may need a seal puller to get the seal out. or, VERY carefully pry it out w/ a screw driver. i coat my new seal w/ tranny fluid to help insert it, then tap gently w/ a rubber mallet.

go w/ amsoil ATF--best lube plus drops temp 75 degrees. i do not recommed flushing the tranny. contrary to popular belief, it is not necessary and could cause damage.

please, get the manual(haynes from auto zone for example) first to help w/ the little quirkes of your particular vehicle. best wishes in your new endeavor!

bowtieguy 10-21-2007 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 77633)
It shouldn't be too hard, I'd just read up on the procedure in a shop manual and make sure to follow it...

I don't know what kind of ATF you would need, last time I did an auto oil change I just used honda stuff, :p

good thing 'cause i think honda can ONLY take honda ATF(will not accept even amsoil).

bowtieguy 10-21-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RazBarlow (Post 77635)
Do you usually just pull the pan off ? I haven't noticed a drain plug.
Thanks,
raz

pretty sure you gotta pull the pan. theclencher might be able to help you(ford guy).

SVOboy 10-21-2007 07:12 AM

Yeah, I was doing the 30k for my friend and he's all finicky so I just used all honda stuff to keep him happy...he still saved 300 bucks though, :p

Never knew honda was exclusive like that though.

2000mc 10-21-2007 08:01 AM

i wouldnt expect it to be unusually hard to do. most likely youre going to have to drop the whole pan. i usually use razors to clean the surfaces, be careful not to gouge the surfaces though. find the torque spec, inch-lb torque wrench, and torque the bolts if you dont like leaks. theres new transmission fluids out, i dont know if they help as much as synthetics. dextron/mercon III is the old stuff now. dextron/mercon IV is new but they typicly just says something like atf for ford/gm automatic transmissions on the bottle. the thing is many places may have both.

MnFocus 10-21-2007 10:05 AM

Raz try this procedure from v8SHO.com an AX4N is all the same with a few tweaks . I did the same with my '99 . Use OEM fluid in it , or Amsoil ATF . just sayin.