Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Newbie - 2007 Pontiac Vibe (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/newbie-2007-pontiac-vibe-6474.html)

ab2cmiller 10-24-2007 07:13 AM

Newbie - 2007 Pontiac Vibe

Hey everyone! Just bought a new Pontiac Vibe about a month ago and have been surfing the net looking for ways to maximize my mpg's. I came across this site in part to "Sille" who had their gassaver.org info on a posting in some threads at genvibe.com. So I guess someone owes Sille a referral fee. LOL

So far I've been extremely impressed with this site and especially like the fact that the site is more applicable to me then some of the other sites I visited as they tended to focus more on hybrids.

Right now I'm debating on wether I should purchase a scangauge as my biggest frustration currently is not knowing if I'm properly accelerating for maximum mpg's. I used to baby it along accelerating very slowly thinking that was best but after reading many threads, I've gathered that a quicker acceleration is actually more efficient. I just don't know if I've found the "sweet spot" just yet.

2007 Pontiac Vibe
Neptune Blue
Automatic Transmission
Power Package

SVOboy 10-24-2007 07:25 AM

Welcome to the site! Don't forget to fill out a garage and gaslog. What's your mileage like right now?

Buy the SGII, :p

MetroMPG 10-24-2007 07:32 AM

Welcome...

Acceleration technique is just a drop in the bucket, er, tank. You will not likely see any dramatic change in your fuel economy just by changing that one variable.

The SG will help you to see what acceleration rate works for max efficiency. But it'll help you refine much more than just that. It's worth the money, if you're serious about reducing your fuel use.

ab2cmiller 10-24-2007 07:40 AM

Thank you very much for the welcome.

I've set up my vehicle in the garage section and will be adding my gas logs in the next day or so.

I've went from 30-31 mpg's up to almost 36 with the last tank. Each tank I've seen some improvement.

Another question for you all. Which do you think would get better gas mileage on the highway, driving 60 mph with no draft, or drafting a semi truck at 70 mph. For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume I'm 1-2 seconds back of the semi.

lovemysan 10-24-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ab2cmiller (Post 78146)
Thank you very much for the welcome.

I've set up my vehicle in the garage section and will be adding my gas logs in the next day or so.

I've went from 30-31 mpg's up to almost 36 with the last tank. Each tank I've seen some improvement.

Another question for you all. Which do you think would get better gas mileage on the highway, driving 60 mph with no draft, or drafting a semi truck at 70 mph. For the purposes of this discussion, let's assume I'm 1-2 seconds back of the semi.

Easy 70mph at one second is better. But getting a draft with a similar driving style is difficult. I find trucks accel hard down hill, generally.

Get the scangauge its a worthwhile investment.

cfg83 10-24-2007 09:34 AM

ab2cmiller -

Welcome to GS! Yay, another Vibe! I don't have one, but it's always been on my short list of cars I would like to own. The Scangauge will pay for itself. I think a big part of your MPG will be a function of how you can learn to work with your automatic transmission.

CarloSW2

GasSavers_BIBI 10-24-2007 04:14 PM

Congrats on the 2007 Vibe. Since its the same as a Matrix (engine and all), it has great fuel economy. Also, since its a new car, the mpg will increase after the engine break in. So maybe 31 isn't a good reference. About the drafting, going 60mph or drafting a truck at 70mph gives probably about same MPG, but one is safer, the other faster, decide...

Welcome abord.

rh77 10-24-2007 06:39 PM

Welcome

Welcome to GS :thumbup:

Good mileage so far -- and a good value for the vehicle too. I'd like to see more 5-door hatches out there. Corolla platform -- can't beat that :)

Best FE to ya...

RH77