Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Vx PCV Valve...Is it working? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/vx-pcv-valve-is-it-working-6500.html)

Danronian 10-26-2007 09:21 PM

Vx PCV Valve...Is it working?

I've heard the VX one is different from a normal one...and I'm guessing that is what is in my VX. From my experience with cars, for most PCV valves when you blow into the one side it is open, but if you blow into the other side, it is closed. (That is generally my check to make sure they are working.)

But on the one I checked on my VX tonight, i noticed that I can blow in both sides.... Is this normal?

I took a picture of it too since it looks different (smaller) compared to all of the other Honda ones I've looked at before.

https://www.fuelly.com/attachments/fo...2dc8bff21f.jpg

SVOboy 10-26-2007 09:44 PM

I think they're sposed to be the same as normals, but they do break. My old one could blow through both sides and replacing fixed my vacuum leak, :p

VetteOwner 10-26-2007 09:45 PM

it should rattle when you shake it, if not its stuck/filled with gunk

garyhgaryh 10-27-2007 12:28 AM

Great topic! I wish it appeared earlier. When I took my intake off, I had to remove the PCV valve, but I never checked it. I do remember it was very oily. It's probably plugged with gunk. If it's bad, will it help FE?
Gary

Danronian 10-27-2007 04:38 AM

I was thinking it was clogged, but I sprayed a ton of carb cleaner in it, and it's VERY clean inside/out. I hear nothing rattling inside of it at all... So I'm guessing it is ****ed. I might actually go to Honda for this part since that will show me how the true part should work.

I have another VX in the shed that I'll take the pcv from and examine.

I do have a feeling mine is not working, but I thought it was clogged, not OPEN. The one thing I always notice when a pcv clogs, on my Hondas I've had at least, is that the valve cover gasket leaks...which mine is starting too (guess the ebay $40 engine gasket kit isnt the best afterall :) ).

jadziasman 10-27-2007 05:26 AM

This is from TomO's VX info links. Read and heed.

PCV info for CX/VX model:
I just checked on my Honda E-catalog (the same software the dealer uses) and got different numbers for the VX/CX model as compared to the rest of the models.

VX/CX = PCV 17130-P07-A02 (shown to be used on all CX/VX model civics 92-95) The rest = 171300-PM6-003 (all models except CX/VX)

The reason for posting this info is because the VX/CX PCV valve is not like a normal PCV valve. It's basically a 90 degree elbow with no innards. This allows the crankcase to be under low pressure most all of the time allowing for better FE.

Usually Honda has the parts grouped by ECU ie VX=P07 and the correct corresponding parts have that in the middle of the part number. So it seems that VX and CX share the same PCV valve.

GasSavers_TomO 10-27-2007 07:54 AM

Finally! Someone else with the OEM VX PCV valve, lol. I ran into the same thing on my VX no "normal" PCV valve to be seen anywhere in the system.

I believe Honda did this so that the lower end would be in vacuum all the time. Another ploy to eek out every last bit of FE they can from the motor.

Check out nascar, they run vacuum on their lower ends all the time as well.

This is also a great reason to run a catch can, to help collect the oil vapors and keep your intake manifold cleaner as well as reducing the possibility of pre-detonation.

panamacolin 10-27-2007 09:24 AM

Not to be an idiot...but what does PCV stand for, and what exactly does it do?
I think im going to take a look at mine...

SVOboy 10-27-2007 09:27 AM

Positive crankcase ventilation? I forget for sure...it vents the crankcase to the intake manifold in order to burn up some old junk.

jadziasman 10-27-2007 11:31 AM

www.autoshop101.com/forms/h63.pdf