Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   FETC Take II (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/fetc-take-ii-6525.html)

rh77 10-30-2007 09:16 AM

FETC Take II

What do you say we get the competition going again?

I'm not sure if it was a lack of interest or a busy Commish, but you can't ignore that the contest fizzled-out a while back.

The overall response was to take a break -- well, here we are. Rested? Ready to go? To tackle the Winter months...

First thing -- I'll admit that I need some help. The goal is to get stats out weekly or every-other-week. The problem is that the automatic process isn't so automatic and it has taken many hours to compile and report the data. My regular job has kept me busy with long days and travel, so when I'm home, that time is devoted to home time. That leaves small bursts of time to spend here -- which honestly wasn't enough to give you guys a fair update of team progress.

If someone else wants to step-up as Commish, that's cool. If you just want to run the data and report it, that's cool too. If you look back, it's a tough job -- especially rules interpretation. I still would like to be involved in some form, maybe adviser, I dunno.

The next order of business. When to start? Do we retroactively run stats from the time of the last cycle? Do we even still have enough people interested?

Everyone -- chime-in. This competition has produced a great number of personal advances in the cause of FE -- which can then be shared with the rest. Look at the History this Forum's posts. Can we ignore them?

RH77/"Commish"

2TonJellyBean 10-30-2007 09:33 AM

I'd like to resume in May... :p

My mileage is dropping as fast as the temps!!!

SVOboy 10-30-2007 09:58 AM

But it'll be a good push to stick with it through the winter...

Too bad I don't drive so much.

rh77 10-30-2007 12:08 PM

Replies

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean (Post 78982)
I'd like to resume in May... :p

My mileage is dropping as fast as the temps!!!

That's the big reason for getting started again -- to offset that Winter drop :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy
Too bad I don't drive so much.

If you're interested in crunching numbers or programming, that might help -- depending on your school workload.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher
the competition was a good motivator up to a point for me. got me to try extensive EOC and nearly hit 50 mpg ~ +40%. by the same token i discovered i don't want to drive like that on a regular basis, hence my fe sliding back down to what it was before. also i've removed the aeromods, partly cuz they looked ridiculous and partly to see fe effect. i guess i'm not motivated enuf to be a good competitor- next mods will happen when they happen, probably not good enough for team performance

That's the thing. Folks can get super-serious about it, or take it as a mild challenge. As I've seen, there's a fine line there between giving 110% and burning out.

The beauty of the Winter competition might be who loses the least FE percentage :o . It seems to be a near-guarantee that FE drops with the effects of temperature and fuel re-formulation. It might not be as heated of a competition as the past -- pun intended. :D

RH77

2TonJellyBean 10-30-2007 12:19 PM

Okay, so do we start factoring in HDD (heating degree days)? :D

HDD is the difference between the average daily temperature and 65?F.

Fourthbean 10-30-2007 10:40 PM

If we started back up it might just make me go out there and so something to my car to move it away from stock form. I would be up for trying another round here in the winter.

I like the part about who is going to lose the least percentage wise. I guess us Southern folk will have a bit of an advantage there ;). But then again I guess that's what the Mason Dixon line rule is for :).

Is there a thread about how the process of stats is automated? I am no programmer but might be willing to poke around it to see if we couldn't get something better worked out.

DRW 10-30-2007 11:13 PM

I like the idea of suspending the FE challenge in Fall/Spring since the weather is changing throughout the season. How would we know if a change in FE was due to mods, driving, or weather? How about limiting the challenge to seasons when the weather is mostly stable so the drivers have a chance to see if their mods/ driving techniques help or hurt?

I also support the idea of shorter periods, such as 4 to 6 weeks. This should give the drivers a feeling of urgency- now's the time, don't delay. If the time period is longer it lets the driver procrastinate.

rh77 10-31-2007 08:04 AM

These are good points...keep 'em coming...

Perhaps Winters vary too much for a fair fight. Frozen precip really takes its toll, from experience. Higher rolling resistance in the cold, etc.

So, are shorter periods preferred? Feel free to post polls or request a poll for ideas. So far, I haven't seen enough interest for 2 teams to get it started again...

As far as running the stats, Matt sets up a data download for the requested cars, and I plug them into an Excel spreadsheet. The data dump has made the process SO much easier, but still a buggah to copy the data properly and format it for posting in the thread. Still a ways from "fully automated". Any ideas???

RH77

skewbe 10-31-2007 08:34 AM

Excel can use a "url" as a datasource, if you set up a sheet to get its data from the dump via "web address" you can build a formatted report on another sheet and have it automatically updated.

rh77 10-31-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 79214)
Excel can use a "url" as a datasource, if you set up a sheet to get its data from the dump via "web address" you can build a formatted report on another sheet and have it automatically updated.

That's a great point -- I forgot about that import function. The problem is that most of my work is done offline. I suppose I could setup the links in the sheet and then "run" them when online.

The next tricky part would be gleaning data from the Gaslog as a function of a web address.

RH77

SVOboy 10-31-2007 07:31 PM

That tricky part might be figure out able on the gaslog side of things.

brucepick 11-02-2007 01:07 PM

I think it can be a good thing to run the challenge in tough conditions - like winter. So what if it's more difficult to get good FE in bad weather. It happens to all of us. Just like maintenance issues, people needing rides, whatever.

When I first signed onto the challenge, I figured it might run year round, good weather and bad. It hits all of us, and by requiring each team to have a member north of Mason-Dixon, it hopefully hits us all more or less equally.

I'm not pushing to run it continuously, year round. I think there's already a concensus that a break was needed. But I'd be OK with Fall, Winter and Spring Challenges if it goes that way.

My two cents.

Jim Dunlop 11-02-2007 04:16 PM

I installed a drain pan heater for $60. I plug in my car for at least an hour each morning before leaving for work. It seems to have prevented the FE dip characteristic of fall/winter...check out my gaslog. Oh, does anyone know how to overcome the bug which chops off the last several gaslog data points?

XFi 11-03-2007 07:02 AM

I just assumed it ran continuously all year. Working towards good FE is an all year task. The challenge group helps some of us keep the enthusiasm (or try) for that task and challenges us to do better. I'm in whenever it is decided to start back up. My fuel mileage has dropped off considerably, but I'm sure everyone else is fighting with the cold and winterblends too.

Has it officially stopped? Do we need new teams? Who is in and who isn't?...:confused:

Let's just set a date for restart. 12/1/07?...01/01/08? Anyone?

brucepick 11-03-2007 09:22 AM

11/5?
11/15?

Rick Rae 11-03-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XFi (Post 79768)
My fuel mileage has dropped off considerably, but I'm sure everyone else is fighting with the cold and winterblends too.

My numbers are already off by something like 5% and it hasn't even gotten super-cold here yet. Probably a combination of cooler temperatures, Winter gas, and a lot of before-light/after-dark driving.

I guess the Commish has it right: It'll be a contest to see which team gets dinged the least. :p

I'm a total newbie to the challenge but the Leftover Bananas honored me by taking me in, so I'm good to go any time. My schedule and routes will change a lot starting in December, but I have no idea if that will help or hurt... I guess we'll find out!

Rick

DRW 11-03-2007 07:37 PM

A winter FE challenge should motivate us to do some other FE mods, like block heaters and LED running lights.

XFi 11-04-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 78997)
the competition was a good motivator up to a point for me. got me to try extensive EOC and nearly hit 50 mpg ~ +40%. by the same token i discovered i don't want to drive like that on a regular basis, hence my fe sliding back down to what it was before. also i've removed the aeromods, partly cuz they looked ridiculous and partly to see fe effect. i guess i'm not motivated enuf to be a good competitor- next mods will happen when they happen, probably not good enough for team performance

WHAT??? I Beg to Differ!!! :eek: Look at your percent over EPA numbers...just because you slid back a little on numbers doesn't mean you aren't going to be part of the team -or- leaving the competition! I have become a little relaxed on my driving habits too. I drive ALOT for work and it is hard to keep FE on the front of my thoughts when it is late and I have been driving for hours and just want to get home. It gets even more frustrating when you hit a wall and can't seem to squeak out anymore MPG....then the cold weather...then the winter blend gas...etc etc. YOU ARE DOING A GOOD JOB...You have been on this site for well over a year and have contributed to many forums and to Team OPEC Busters...Keep up the good work. Will see you at FETC Take II! ;)

rh77 11-08-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 80022)
thanks buddy! -

our scoring basis is % improvement from wherever we start, right? i am backing off on p&g- still do it in town at stops and etc., but no more on the highway- so am expecting my fe to remain flat in the upper 30s/just into the 40s. it appears to me that if my aeromods did anything it's too little to measure. i am not writing off aeromods for good but i think in order to see real results you have to get more extreme i.e. full belly pan/boattail/top chop. i do have mechanical mods in mind but winter is bitter here and working out in the driveway is less fun than when warm so i wouldn't count on anything getting accomplished until spring.

basically i don't have anything in mind for fe improvement over winter

You need not improve... but rather who loses the least wins. It would be awesome to see a running average improve in the cold, though.

RH77

rh77 11-08-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theclencher (Post 80944)
well i'm in so i guess i'll see how little i can lose...

That's the spirit! Now, we just need a second team...

Right Lane Rollers, check in!

Or, anyone!

Commish

Matt Timion 11-08-2007 05:54 PM

Depending on the date, I'm game. I still need to get the VX in good shape though... plan on doing that this weekend.

rh77 11-08-2007 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Timion (Post 80969)
Depending on the date, I'm game. I still need to get the VX in good shape though... plan on doing that this weekend.

Good deal! We can't start until the Monday after 2 teams are formed, so you should have some time to get it running right. I think XFi is looking for another member for a full team...

RH77

Matt Timion 11-08-2007 06:05 PM

I have a lot of work to do the VX this weekend... hopefully I can get it all done.

Oh yeah... do you want to buy a Fit? lol

Rick Rae 11-09-2007 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 80967)
That's the spirit! Now, we just need a second team...

Right Lane Rollers, check in!

Or, anyone!

Hey, what are we, leftover bananas?

Oh, wait... :p

Seriously though: Since you made the "second team" comment to theclencher, I assume that means Team OPEC Busters is in. I thought our team was already in too, but maybe not. Do you need team captains to say "Aye" or anything?

Rick

rh77 11-09-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rae (Post 81139)
Hey, what are we, leftover bananas?

Oh, wait... :p

Seriously though: Since you made the "second team" comment to theclencher, I assume that means Team OPEC Busters is in. I thought our team was already in too, but maybe not. Do you need team captains to say "Aye" or anything?

Rick

According to rules:

Team Captains must wear an eyepatch while posting with any FETC content, and yell "Arrrh!", similar to a Pirate. Failure to do so is an infraction, and may impose penalties upon your team. The 'honor system' is employed...:p

Seriously though, XFi has posted for Opec Busters (needing one more member), no reponse from the RLR's and I haven't kept up with the Bananas... are you guys in?

Matt is forming "Team VX" so they may need a 4-door and/or automatic, and/or someone above the Mason-Dixon line if a partial team is still looking to merge.

To answer your question, TC's are responsible for communicating within the team (morale boosting, etc.) and to coordinate formation of the team and management after things get rolling. If an old team is with several, non-active members, I say to feel free to start your own team if you can get enough people. First, I would check with other teams for vacancies.

Right now, we just need the TCs to say, "We have a full team, ready to go" and list the members...

Commish

Rick Rae 11-10-2007 04:15 PM

Dang, I missed the whole eyepatch thing. I hope OdieTurbo's paying attention. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 81148)
...I haven't kept up with the Bananas... are you guys in?

I haven't heard anything to the contrary, and thought we were signed up (which is why I made my last post). But maybe we lost someone and I don't know about it.

Rick

rh77 11-10-2007 05:18 PM

Good to Go?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Rae (Post 81423)
I haven't heard anything to the contrary, and thought we were signed up (which is why I made my last post). But maybe we lost someone and I don't know about it.

Rick

OK. I didn't see that the team was ready -- well good then!

Do we have 3 teams ready to go Monday???

Commish

diamondlarry 11-10-2007 06:05 PM

Right now I'm feeling a bit embarrassed.:o I'm the TC for Team Slow Burn but I don't remember who is on the team. If there is anyone on Slow Burn, respond and let me know. Oh, AHRRRR!:D

XFi 11-10-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rh77 (Post 81148)

Right now, we just need the TCs to say, "We have a full team, ready to go" and list the members...

Commish

We have a full team, ready to go! :D

Presenting Team Opec Busters...

s2man (Captain)
'Porthos', the Cavalier
96 Chevy Cavalier

Brock
'Jetta Wagon'
03 VW Jetta Wagon

theclencher
'The Lambo'
92 Ford Tempo

ajohnmeyer
'Harold'
94 Honda Civic CX
#?

XFi (Secretary)
'Now'
07 Hyundai Accent

Monday 11/12/07 Start?

DRW 11-11-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry (Post 81440)
Right now I'm feeling a bit embarrassed.:o I'm the TC for Team Slow Burn but I don't remember who is on the team. If there is anyone on Slow Burn, respond and let me know. Oh, AHRRRR!:D

I was on Slow Burn for a while. I'm ready for another round of competition if you still need another member.

OdieTurbo 11-12-2007 05:41 AM

Arrrr mateys! The Leftover Bananas never surrender! Tally ho you scurvey dogs, let's get this thing going! ;)

XFi 11-22-2007 04:18 AM

Did we start? Did we set a date? Teams READY? rh77?

Seems like enough interest is here to set a start date and go with it.

s2man 12-10-2007 08:50 AM

I hope we've started. I finally got a couple of mod's done last weekend, and I'm rarin' to go. :-D

brucepick 12-11-2007 05:12 AM

Man, challenge this is the biggest lump of confusion ever...
Sorry for the grump attitude but???

landspeed 12-11-2007 09:22 AM

I would be interested in joining a team, if my car wasn't so 'un hyper-mileable' :(

If I could offset the miles I will soon be putting onto my electric bike though, then that would be something else :D

XFi 12-11-2007 09:52 AM

Don't think there is a FETC II without the 'Commish'.

s2man 12-11-2007 03:25 PM

Whoa! I missed something. What happened to Commish?