Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Motorcycles (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   08 ninja 250 (250r) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f31/08-ninja-250-250r-6558.html)

Snax 11-04-2007 05:37 AM

I think the 250 is simply designed for a different kind of rider than most sport bikes.

It's designed for people who appreciate a good canyon carver, but realize the ridiculous excess of most bikes designed to do it. Personally, I've learned that given a bike that will do insane speeds, I will tend to go nuts. Do I really need that? Nope.

There's a reason those little YSR-50s were so popular even among dedicated sport riders: They are an absolute hoot to rail around corners particularly since your speed exiting the corner depends on maintaining as much as possible through it. Even at my body weight of 265 lbs., the new 250 makes my list of wants.

bones33 11-07-2007 07:39 AM

Honestly, the 250s are targeted toward new riders and riders that feel more comfortable on a smaller bike, usually newer riders and smaller riders.

The fun factor of wringing out a small bike and barely endangering onesself is not lost on experienced riders though, but it's not the main target of this market segment.

There was a guy that did several iron butt rallys on a ninja 250, I think just to prove that it could be done - obviously a very experienced rider.

korax123 11-07-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisntjared (Post 79846)
i am just referring to acceleration beyond second gear. i dont know that i have heard of one of these getting 100mpg yet...

Your posts are pretty ignorent. Have you ever owned one or even know if it goes to 60mph in 2nd gear im pretty sure your in 3rd gear by then. I average 75mpg without trying for fuel economy on my Ninja 250, and I can get a different sprocket and pull 80mpg if I wanted. And as soon as I need a new chain thats what I plan on doing. And it's problably faster then both your cars.

So don't make any comments if your not really sure what your talking about. Also that 250 in the twisties with a good rider is faster then a 600cc sport bike with the average rider.

thisisntjared 11-07-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by korax123 (Post 80650)
Your posts are pretty ignorent. Have you ever owned one or even know if it goes to 60mph in 2nd gear im pretty sure your in 3rd gear by then. I average 75mpg without trying for fuel economy on my Ninja 250, and I can get a different sprocket and pull 80mpg if I wanted. And as soon as I need a new chain thats what I plan on doing. And it's problably faster then both your cars.

So don't make any comments if your not really sure what your talking about. Also that 250 in the twisties with a good rider is faster then a 600cc sport bike with the average rider.

i am a little tired so i will try to make this scannable:

i can spell ignorant.

it doesnt matter what gear you are in by the time you hit 60mph, you did the best acceleration in gears 1 + 2. after that, 3rd gear really is starting to get tired.

it doesnt matter what you can do if you wanted. i want to see you get better than 100mpg and until you do, then i still have not seen a 250ninja do that.

i am aware that it can handle better than a 600cc bike that weighs substantially more than it with a really good rider, but what where is the relevance?

bottom line: i wish more would be done by kawasaki with the bike for improvements besides face lifts. i want to see some serious gas savers. if it gets more than 100mpg factory, i will buy one.

maybe i am tired, but i think you are getting ignorance mixed up with an opinion that you think you disagree with because it was never completely articulated. i think we are on separate wavelengths, but hey, usually claiming ignorance about my posts is enough of an insult for me to never to respond to you... so, all done.

GasSavers_Dust 11-07-2007 07:08 PM

I think that hyosung can be thanked for Kawasaki finally, and by finally I mean 22 years finally, coming up with something new. Seriously considering the hyosung, if I ever get back to the states, but for now the 50 billion 250 4-strokes in Japan are all I need for a bike.

Snax 11-08-2007 06:13 AM

I think that unfortunately Kawasaki has to make a marketing tradeoff here. 'Sporty' and 100 MPG just don't go together. The have no doubt moved the right direction by focusing on torque, which means lower rpm and likely better FE, but there is only so far they can go with that before they start sacrificing top end performance - which being a 4-stroke 250 already is a marginal thing.