Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Wanted to Buy (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   WTB: 94/95 Civic VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f25/wtb-94-95-civic-vx-6569.html)

limerence 11-12-2007 12:14 PM

yep. thats the one. he told me about that but once i got there and looked through the paperwork, saw a couple of other things that the mechanic wrote

- throw out bearing noisy
- thermostat not working so car running below temp, o2 sensor may be overworked
- front right brake caliper not releasing correctly
- EGR and cat converter not working. this is why he wanted to sell. i believe CA law requires that the seller smogs the car.

aesthetically i saw:
- driver side door panel got dinged by a tree
- right rear quarter panel a little crunched from mail box
- left back light shows condensation

Seeing the condition of this one just sucks since the other one that I missed was so nice and was only 3.5K. No use crying over spilled milk.

smccall 11-12-2007 05:43 PM

Yeah thats true. So are you going to keep looking? I'm probably going to do the same. Now I'm seeing all these CXs for cheap.

limerence 11-13-2007 07:24 AM

yeh i'm going to try to holdout for the VX if i can. the cx never had the option for ac or ps right? i can live without ps but ac, i gotta have that.

GasSavers_TomO 11-13-2007 08:24 AM

PS was an option for the Si model only.

A/C was an option for all the models from 92-95.

Neither of those two options were standard from the factory, they were all dealer installed items.

limerence 11-13-2007 08:41 AM

Thanks Tom.

Didnt know that. I'm fine without PS. How cumbersome would it be to install AC into a VX?

-John

smccall 11-13-2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limerence (Post 81911)
Thanks Tom.

Didnt know that. I'm fine without PS. How cumbersome would it be to install AC into a VX?

-John

haha I just made a thread about your question a month ago. Check out my thread in General Tech and you will find some great answers there.

I've seen lots of CX's with A/C and some without. Likewise with the VX.

smccall 11-14-2007 05:56 AM

I'm still going to head up to Philly to check out the VX. He came down on the price considerably so I'll look into it.

limerence 11-17-2007 12:28 PM

TTT. cash in hand and ready to buy, people.... Panamacolin... if no one sells, you might have to put yours on the market =)

smccall 11-18-2007 07:00 AM

Well, I picked up the VX yesterday. I'll open a thread about it shortly.

limerence 12-03-2007 06:21 AM

So during my daily ritual of looking at craigslist, I saw this post locally.

"Great car, ridiculously good price.

*great mechanical condition
*5 speed manual
*4-Cyl, 1.5L 16V, VTEC
*136,900 miles
*The gas mileage is amazing
*I recently bought two new tires (front)
*Stereo is less than a year old- removable face, iPod connector
*I just had it detailed

I'm listing it as FAIR CONDITION but its flaws are cosmetic. When I took the Kelley Blue Book test, it came out as a GOOD rating. Nevertheless, I'm leaving town at the end of this week and I need to sell the car ASAP. These are problems:

*hard to open glove compartment,
*cup holder needs to be fixed,
*gas tank door needs to be jimmied open (I do it easily but I have to use my key),
*antenna missing,
*small dent on front.

I'd be happy to give you any other information and show you the car, but get in touch with me soon. December 9th is my last day in SF.

In FAIR condition on Kelley Blue Book, it was listed for $2,480. The quote for a GOOD rating was $2,940"

https://home.pacbell.net/jvlai/IMG_0017_2.jpg

https://home.pacbell.net/jvlai/IMG_0018_2.jpg

https://home.pacbell.net/jvlai/IMG_0019_2.jpg

https://home.pacbell.net/jvlai/IMG_0020_2.jpg

https://home.pacbell.net/jvlai/IMG_0021_2.jpg

She was listing it for $2200 and I saw the post 20 minutes after she posted it. I emailed her and she emailed me back with her phone number. I told her I was really interested in the car and so she said to come by tomorrow to look at it. I said ok, and when would be the earliest I could come? She said 8 and I agreed. Knowing how deals like this can fall through, I wanted to call her back and say I want to look at it tonight (even though it would be an hour drive). The problem was, was that my gf was getting all dressed up cause it was my company holiday party. She somehow looked disappointed when I said "is it ok if we just go look at a car instead?" Who knows why she was a disappointed. But back to the story, so we ended up going to my company party and when we got back, I had gotten a message on my machine from the seller that someone offered her $2500 sight unseen, and she wanted to know if I could match that since I was the first person that called her. And so I called her back and asked her if $2500 was what I would be lookin at. But she then said no. She said that because she's gotten so many emails that shes setting it up by highest bidder and she would let everyone know who had the highest bid during the week. So I asked her, so if I had cash in hand, and drove over there, it wouldnt really mean much then since you're gonna hold out. She said yes. So then I told her I would pass. To which she asked why. I told her that I'm pretty cut and dry/no fuss about things. If I was there looking at a car, whether it be $2200, or $2500, or whatever the price, if I thought it was a good deal, I would pay for it then and there, and get it over with. To me, although I can't fault her for thinking so, she just wanted to get more and more and so I didn't want to get into the mix. I know many of you guys reading this are thinking, "he was butt hurt and didnt wanna play." And I don't think that is. When I looked at the big picture, here's what I saw:

Pros
- Was cheap at $2200
- White

Cons
- No A/C
- Two dents: Hood and front right
- Gas tank had to be jimmied?
- San Francisco Car, so the 136K might be a little bit more driven than a normal one. And although it looks good from the pic, she leaves the car outside (SF fog).
- various other little things broken on the car led me to think she didn't take care of it.
- She was the fifth owner

So, I just thought the Cons outweighed the sale for me. That and the principality factor of not even wanting to sell it outright anymore but go by a bidding system got to me. Well... good luck to whoever got it. The scary part is that she's moving out in a couple of days. If the highest bidder backed out on her at the last minute, she would be screwed.

limerence 12-03-2007 06:23 AM

oh and one more thing i wanted to ask you guys, how come some white ones have pinstripes? was this on all of them at some point? and also, she didn't have the civic vx sticker on the back. shouldn't they all have it and she just removed it?

smccall 12-03-2007 08:54 AM

Sorry to hear this one didn't work out for you. It looked like a nice one, but I'm sure you'll find another one. As far as pinstripes, I belive that was an option.
The car mostly likely has been painted. The stickers were taken off to paint the car and the pinstripes were added when they painted it.

limerence 12-07-2007 09:55 PM

Sam... the search is lookin bleak...

smccall 12-08-2007 09:10 PM

Hang in there Limerence. One is coming.

70DIMER 12-18-2007 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limerence (Post 85270)
Sam... the search is lookin bleak...

Don't give up Limerence...but not to add salt to the wounds on that white one, I know the guy that ended up getting it. He lives in Santa Cruz. I know because right after he got that VX he put up his 1988 CRX HF up for sale. He was asking $1800obo on it but he said he was going to show it for 2 days (Sat/Sun) then let the highest bidder get it, he specificaly said 'that's how I got the VX from someone in SF".

So that's how I know it was him! :P

Yeah like you I'd rather just pay a single price on something. I was wanting it to fill my MPG fix but again like you after our 'agreement' to let me at least match the highest bid he sold it to some guy for $2000 since they had cash in hand. Oh well...live and learn.

Speaking of CRX HF's why don't you consider one of those? The also get great MPG and can be had with A/C too. :)

limerence 12-18-2007 09:58 PM

Yeh I knew someone would get it. Funny part is, I think I may have come out with a better deal. Just picked up a 94 today. Body isn't the greatest but its the original owner. An old guy that tried to take care of it as much as he could. It also has smog issues so I'm gonna drop it off at the shop for a catalytic converter and egr valve. Hopefully they don't find anything else. I will post pics up tomorrow if the day is nice.