Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Experiments, Modifications and DIY (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   header wrap (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/header-wrap-6712.html)

93dagsr 11-12-2007 07:50 AM

header wrap

has anyone tried to header wrap their headers down?? i mean like a full exhaust wrap (from header to exhaust tip)?? my mechanic did it and he said that the fuel consuption improved noticeably. also he wrapped his intake to provide further insulation and saw an improvement there! i was wondering if someone could crunch some numbers and see if it would benefit greatly or just a slight change?? :confused:

DarbyWalters 11-12-2007 11:37 AM

Header wrap will work BUT it will hold in moisture and cause things (not aluminum of course) to deteriorate. Coatings are better in the long run...you can coat the outside and inside of exhaust pieces. Problem is initial cost is a bit but it will last the life of the car for most.

If you want to learn more...google...Swain Technology...Swain Coatings...something like that...he is out of New York...good info on the site.

I don't know if it is going to make a huge difference when going for FE...It has more potential for improvement at WOT (Wide Open Throttle)....horsepower wise anyway.

93dagsr 11-12-2007 12:03 PM

yea i was thinking about that too. i guess i don't really have that problem since i live in the desert and get little to no moisture. my friend really hasn't had any problems at all.

cfg83 11-12-2007 01:47 PM

93dagsr -

Here's a thread on the subject :

exhaust wrap - interesting results
https://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=1753

However, as you can see, lindermant removed the wrap because he was afraid his cat would melt/be destroyed.

CarloSW2

93dagsr 11-13-2007 06:26 AM

i see. so wraping is not at all the best option

ZugyNA 11-13-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93dagsr (Post 81698)
has anyone tried to header wrap their headers down?? i mean like a full exhaust wrap (from header to exhaust tip)?? my mechanic did it and he said that the fuel consuption improved noticeably. also he wrapped his intake to provide further insulation and saw an improvement there! i was wondering if someone could crunch some numbers and see if it would benefit greatly or just a slight change?? :confused:

I'd like to hear what he did that on and how...andwhat kind of mileage gain he got. Makes sense if done in summer...cooler air in...not sure how hotter exhaust would help except for the O2.

dkjones96 11-16-2007 02:45 PM

I don't see how that would help horsepower either. Hotter air is less dense and requires more pipe area or a higher speed to get it out of the back as opposed to air that is allowed to cool. Torque might go up seeing as EGV would be higher. You wouldn't need to step the pipes down closer to the back to maintain a high exhaust gas velocity.

unstable bob 11-16-2007 07:46 PM

The exhaust wrap will also absorb any stray oil and other contaminants, making for a potential fire hazard. I saw a mint Z28 Camaro go up in flames once because the wrap on the headers became oil soaked and caught fire.

performancekote 03-11-2008 05:43 AM

Ceramic Coating

Well , This is my first post . Just picked up a 92 VX and am stoked . 45 mpg on my first take with the PO driving 150 miles . I just happen to own a coating shop and I will be coating my system here shortly and posting results for FE . As far as performance we generally see a .5-1% increase in hp and torque . This is acomplished by increasing exhaust velocity and decreasing intake air temp from heat transferred from exhaust . This also increases life of the exhaust system as well as other under hood parts due to a decrease in heat transfer . On average you will see a 40% decrease in surface temp on headers . I will post updates here as well as on our current projects page @ www.performancekote.com

GasSavers_SD26 03-11-2008 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by performancekote (Post 93285)
This is acomplished by increasing exhaust velocity and decreasing intake air temp from heat transferred from exhaust .

+1

Increased exhaust velocity is a great benefit. I've used Swain in the past for stuff.

Welcome to the board performancekote!