Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Bit the bullet (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/bit-the-bullet-6732.html)

rikkitikkitavi 11-14-2007 05:24 AM

Bit the bullet

Well after a tuneup, 45psi tires and scanguage monitoring, airfilter back to stock and everything else I could try the Camry MPG was stuck at 29-34mpg...34 was a one shot thing and 29 was more the norm. I took delivery of a 2008 civic LX 5spd last night! The Camry needed about 1k of body work (paint cracked) and 1k of brakes and a steering shaft. So it was a no brainer, I financed the entire difference in the two cars and added the Honda 100k warranty and still have a $155 car payment at 5.4%! I could have bought the car cash but I can do better than 5% investing the money. (plus I can write off the interest:D )

Hoping for 40mpg, will keep you guys posted, BTW I drove the Mazda3, Focus,Corolla,accord 5spd, and Prius. First choice was the Prius but the 7k difference in price was a killer along with the poor ice/snow performance some have reported. Civic is in my humble opinion 3x the car that the Corolla is and a little better (other than performance) than the Mazda.

Rikki

DarbyWalters 11-14-2007 05:30 AM

I think you made a good move...What are the new EPA ratings for the model you purchased?

GasSavers_BIBI 11-14-2007 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikkitikkitavi (Post 82055)
Well after a tuneup, 45psi tires and scanguage monitoring, airfilter back to stock and everything else I could try the Camry MPG was stuck at 29-34mpg...34 was a one shot thing and 29 was more the norm. I took delivery of a 2009 civic LX 5spd last night! The Camry needed about 1k of body work (paint cracked) and 1k of brakes and a steering shaft. So it was a no brainer, I financed the entire difference in the two cars and added the Honda 100k warranty and still have a $155 car payment at 5.4%! I could have bought the car cash but I can do better than 5% investing the money. (plus I can write off the interest:D )

Hoping for 40mpg, will keep you guys posted, BTW I drove the Mazda3, Focus,Corolla,accord 5spd, and Prius. First choice was the Prius but the 7k difference in price was a killer along with the poor ice/snow performance some have reported. Civic is in my humble opinion 3x the car that the Corolla is and a little better (other than performance) than the Mazda.

Rikki

Corolla 2009 will be different, because the actuel model is kind of old.

But a good move on the Civic, and a 5 speed with 140hp will probably have some peep.

DarbyWalters 11-14-2007 06:22 AM

or pep at least!

204snic 11-16-2007 09:36 AM

Congratulations on the 09'Civic!:) Good choice. You should be able to hit 40mpg for sure, depending on your driving manners. I have an 07'SI sedan that I used to commute to work w/and got on avrg. of 33-34mpg while staying at about 65mph. If I can get that on an SI (premium gas, 197hp,6-spd lsd tranny, 17"rims at 33psi all around), you probably won't have to try too hard. But now I'm looking for a more FE car that I don't have to try to stay under 65mph. It's gets boring in the SI, especially because you know that you can make it go faster so easy.:rolleyes: :)

cfg83 11-16-2007 02:11 PM

rikkitikkitavi -

Good job! I definitely think you will be able to pull 40 MPG in no time.

CarloSW2

rikkitikkitavi 11-17-2007 08:39 AM

its an 08!

Hahaha fumbly fingers (lack of caffine) its an 08 LX:o

Filled up from half a tank twice now

first fillup 44mpg
2nd fillup 38mpg (included a 55mile run at 75+)

Happy so far

Returning from an unsucessful bowhunting trip this AM, had two does bolt out of the woods onto the freeway less than 20yds in front of me at 60+mph!!!

ABS works
Steering and suspension are stellar
I still have cat-like reflexes in my old age :D

I don't know how I missed them both I kept waiting for the thud....would have been some expensive venison.

not a scratch (to the Honda or the critters)

Rikki

psyshack 11-17-2007 09:07 AM

Work your self and the Civic will give up 50 mpg....

garyhgaryh 11-18-2007 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikkitikkitavi (Post 82055)
Well after a tuneup, 45psi tires and scanguage monitoring, airfilter back to stock and everything else I could try the Camry MPG was stuck at 29-34mpg...34 was a one shot thing and 29 was more the norm. I took delivery of a 2008 civic LX 5spd last night! The Camry needed about 1k of body work (paint cracked) and 1k of brakes and a steering shaft. So it was a no brainer, I financed the entire difference in the two cars and added the Honda 100k warranty and still have a $155 car payment at 5.4%! I could have bought the car cash but I can do better than 5% investing the money. (plus I can write off the interest:D )

Rikki

So how are you writing off the interest? Are you taking a home equity loan for this?
Gary

rikkitikkitavi 11-21-2007 05:35 PM

Interest

Gary

Its a "company" car, total cost is depreciated and written off over 5 years or until it is traded.

Rikki