Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   40.8mpg on 92 Civic VX (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/40-8mpg-on-92-civic-vx-6816.html)

4bfox 11-20-2007 08:50 PM

40.8mpg on 92 Civic VX

Well, we're doing better after the engine/transmission transplant on my VX.

Transmission was about gone, installed an engine and trans of of a VX with supposedly 30-40,000 miles....mine had 207,000 on it. Was getting low to mid 30's on mpg.

First tank with new(er) engine, now getting 40.8mpg....better, but still not FE nirvana!

Got my VX alloy rims today, LRR tires will be here in a few days, hopefully that'll help some...15" fat tires probably burn some extra gas.

All of the OEM air intake, filter box, etc. is gone, prior owner removed all that and installed an aftermarket intake/filter. So I have a couple hoses hanging there not connected to anything.

Don't know if putting OEM air intake/filter would help FE or not?

GasSavers_TomO 11-20-2007 09:24 PM

There shouldn't be any hoses laying around even with an aftermarket intake installed. Can you get a picture of the hoses? I'd be able to tell you where they go and such, if you'd like.

I've found that the difference between my aftermarket "whale penis" and the OEM filter is negligible. I do not have a SuperMID to have solid numbers though.

garyhgaryh 11-21-2007 01:45 AM

How long did it take you to do the engine/tranny R&R? You have pictures?
Gary

smccall 11-21-2007 05:38 AM

Congrats on better mpg. Get that thing back to stock and you'll be there.

Danronian 11-21-2007 07:16 AM

From my VX experience, it takes a while to get used to driving the VX drivetrain in order for it to get great MPG. Once you're a few tanks in, your mileage should go up.

4bfox 11-21-2007 08:04 AM

My biggest problem is changing my driving habits. Like most Americans, I usually had my foot in it, then stomp on the brake a block later to stop. I'm really trying to coast more, especially when a stop sign or intersection is coming up. Also trying NOT to mash the gas pedal, gradually increase speed to cruising.

Old habits die hard...but we'll get there. I'll try to get pics of the intake side, so maybe we can figure out what's missing.

Gary: I didn't have time to do the R&R myself, had my mechanic around the corner do it. He builds a hell of a 1/4 mile machine, so part of my problem is getting him to do things my way for better FE.

I do have a used VX engine and tranny that need overhauled, if somebody wants them REAL cheap. Like free...you pick up or pay shipping!

GasSavers_Ryland 11-21-2007 09:10 AM

give location

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4bfox (Post 83162)

I do have a used VX engine and tranny that need overhauled, if somebody wants them REAL cheap. Like free...you pick up or pay shipping!

What state are you in?

Danronian 11-21-2007 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 83167)
What state are you in?

Beat me to it. :eek:

4bfox 11-21-2007 11:11 AM

I'm in SE Kansas, Eureka to be specific. Bit of a drive for you boys....I've done it before. Talked a friend into driving to WVirgina to look at a `65 Corvair Corsa convertible, drove there and towed it back, straight through.

Not sure I'd want to do it again, though...that was about 15 years ago.

4bfox 11-27-2007 11:16 AM

Pics of engine....

4 Attachment(s)
Hi:

Finally got my camera to work, have a look at these pics of my VX engine...still waiting on my Haynes manual to show up, so I have nothing to go by. Yes, it has an impressive "whale penis", there is something hanging to the right rear of the throttle body, and a hose with nothing on both ends to the left of the throttle body. Anything important missing?

GasSavers_TomO 11-27-2007 11:48 AM

The little black solenoid (with the "top hat" on it, number 11 in the picture below) doesn't look to be hooked up properly. There is a vacuum nipple on the intake manifold under that tab in your first picture. That nipple is supposed to be attached to the bottom nipple on the black solenoid that is hanging behind your intake manifold. The second nipple on the black solenoid is supposed to be running to a coffee can sized black canister that sits under the fuel filter assembly near the steering rack.
https://slhondaparts.com/images/PCI/13SR30/016/1.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4bfox
Yes, it has an impressive "whale penis"

<crocodile dundee>That's not a whale penis, this is a whale penis</crocodile dundee>
https://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6/ea16b41c.jpg

Danronian 11-27-2007 03:32 PM

I would look into finding the oem intake for the VX. With mine installed I noticed the power-band is smoother, low RPM power has increased, and the car warms up a lot faster since it takes all the air from the engine bay.

They cx and dx intake pipe are identical, and the filter box is the same for all the civics of that generation. Not sure if the resonator box behind the bumper is VX specific or not...probably isnt. I found mine more $15 complete/used. You should be able to find another since so many people have ripped out those intakes in favor of something else.

4bfox 11-27-2007 05:41 PM

I've always wanted to say this: "Mine's bigger than yours".

And it's chrome. Thanks for the info...I'll check it out tomorrow morning! Will check into OEM intake. Still have several "improvements" to undo on this project.

GasSavers_TomO 11-28-2007 07:04 AM

https://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/ea16b454.jpg
Just a comparison shot between the OEM VX and the Whale Penis I put on. The end of the new intake is 4" diameter, the widest part of the intake filter is 6" diameter and the widest diameter of the intake tube is ~7", lol. Might be a little bigger than your 3" chrome tube, but yours might be longer, haha.

so what other atrocities do you have to undo on your VX?

4bfox 11-28-2007 08:14 PM

Yeah, I'm going to have to get the OEM intake and filter. I really DON'T like the "custom" filter, just hangs there, probably also louder than stock.

Oh jeez, where do I start on atrocities to fix? Crappy paint job (didn't paint inside doors, underside of hood, fuel door, hatch, etc. those are still red), he apparently rattle can painted the interior, including the seats, dash, headliner. Put in black carpet out of I don't know what, doesn't fit right. Both speakers blown (already fixed them). "Racing" steering wheel...that was REALLY special! SRS light was on all the time, due to no air bag assembly. Bought replacement OEM steering wheel w/air bag, thank God he didn't cut off the plugs under the dash. Had vacuum cruise control that was a joke, never worked...at least I could use the wiring when I put in an electric cruise that works great!

I know..shouldn't have bought it, but VXes are damn hard to find in Kansas, had to go to Lincoln to get this one. Oh, and he had it lowered so much I was scraping road kill off the highway....installed OEM springs (he cut the originals) and new struts. It'll be like new with another $3-4,000 invested!

4bfox 12-15-2007 10:31 AM

40.8 mpg on 92 Civic VX...chp 2

2 Attachment(s)
OK, fixed the idle, still trying to figure out what the black solenoid with the "top hat" is.....find pic attached.:confused:

When vacuum line is disconnected, it revs the engine up about 500 RPM.

If anybody knows what this is, please enlighten me, and thanks for your help!

BTW...where is it supposed to be attached? Just laying on the intake manifold now!

GasSavers_broadwayline 12-15-2007 10:42 AM

Is that not your MAP sensor?

DarbyWalters 12-15-2007 10:47 AM

MAF? you mean?

GasSavers_broadwayline 12-15-2007 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarbyWalters (Post 85943)
MAF? you mean?

Hondas use MAP sensors not MAF.

They measure pressure not flow.

4bfox 12-15-2007 02:17 PM

So I'm probably missing a bolt, which would put it on the back of the intake manifold, according to TomO's diagram above. Is the "top hat" supposed to be loose? It comes right off..

GasSavers_broadwayline 12-15-2007 07:03 PM

No, the MAP sensor bolts to bracket #8 on the top of the intake manifold.

Danronian 12-16-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomO (Post 83954)

That diagram shows where that little vacuum sensor should be and the hoses that should connect to it. And yes, the top of it is supposed to come off that easily. :thumbup:

edit:

It's # 11 in the diagram.

#15 is the MAP which bolts onto the top of the throttle body. Bracket 8 is for the throttle cable.

4bfox 12-16-2007 02:13 PM

OK, after a little more investigation today, the little tab is there on the intake manifold for #11 to bolt to, but it's not drilled or tapped. That seems weird to me. Maybe I'll drill and tap it later on, when I'm feeling adventurous.

GasSavers_TomO 12-16-2007 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danronian (Post 86007)
That diagram shows where that little vacuum sensor should be and the hoses that should connect to it. And yes, the top of it is supposed to come off that easily. :thumbup:

edit:

It's # 11 in the diagram.

#15 is the MAP which bolts onto the top of the throttle body. Bracket 8 is for the throttle cable.

Dan is correct on all accounts. The item with the "top hat" that we are talking about is called the purge solenoid. It controls the vacuum going to the charcoal canister that resides under the fuel filter. The top part is just a filter for when the solenoid is not triggered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4bfox (Post 86056)
OK, after a little more investigation today, the little tab is there on the intake manifold for #11 to bolt to, but it's not drilled or tapped. That seems weird to me. Maybe I'll drill and tap it later on, when I'm feeling adventurous.

That is weird that it isn't drilled or tapped...Your intake manifold is only about 2" in diameter after the throttle body, correct?

4bfox 12-17-2007 04:22 AM

That makes sense. Yes....no hole in the tab. I checked my "spare" engine, it has one.

GasSavers_TomO 12-17-2007 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4bfox (Post 86125)
That makes sense. Yes....no hole in the tab. I checked my "spare" engine, it has one.

I am suspicious of a swapped intake manifold then if the tab is not drilled and tapped for the Canister Purge Solenoid.

This is going to sound really weird, but can you get a picture of your throttle body from above while holding a golf ball above the manifold for size comparison?

I know a golf ball is just small enough to get stuck in a VX throttle body.

4bfox 12-17-2007 11:41 AM

Now you've got me paranoid....I looked at the left front of the engine....D15B.

Shouldn't it be a D15Z?! Has the "Honda VTEC-E" valve cover, which means nothing...other than I may have been screwed.

GasSavers_TomO 12-17-2007 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
After glancing through some of your previous posts, it sounds like you have a JDM D15B transplanted into your VX. Don't worry too much yet. There was a JDM equivalent motor to the D15Z1 in Japan. The engine code was D15B (unfortunately all the 1.5L engines in Japan were stamped D15B). Best way to tell if you have the ETi motor (that was the model name I believe that had the equivalent motor) is to pull the valve cover and check for roller rockers:
https://www.gassavers.org/attachment....8&d=1197929235
Bad picture but the only one I could find right now.

Also check for an EGR Valve on the intake manifold near the distributor.

4bfox 12-17-2007 01:49 PM

Well that makes me feel better.....I think I've seen the EGR valve you mentioned. Goes along with the story I got from the seller.."VX engine-imported from Japan".

I'll make sure it has the roller rockers, too. Obviously one difference is the absence of the Canister Purge Solenoid. Any other differences from the D15Z1 that you know of? Thanks for your expertise, BTW!