Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance and Repair (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Cleaning up alloy rims (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f10/cleaning-up-alloy-rims-6824.html)

4bfox 11-21-2007 11:15 AM

Cleaning up alloy rims

Hi:

Just received my OEM VX alloy rims I've been looking for, 1 cleaned up real well, other 3 have black crud on them (brake pad dust?) that is resisting scrubbing off.

Any suggestions? I was going to try some scubbing powder, but don't want to screw up the finish....looks like clearcoat?

GasSavers_TomO 11-21-2007 01:46 PM

Most auto parts store have a brake dust remover for wheels. Otherwise a high concentration of simple green and lots of elbow grease.

ffvben 11-21-2007 03:01 PM

i used some kinda citrus wheel cleaner in the past, that worked pretty good but i have no idea what the name of it was.

GasSavers_Ryland 11-21-2007 08:13 PM

because brake cleaner has some strong solvents in it, I would try useing a power washer first, you might even take them to a car wash and use the soapy scrub brush on the "tire" setting, then high presure hot soapy water should take most of it off, what's left should be able to be removed with a scouring pad and some brake cleaner.

Danronian 11-21-2007 09:09 PM

I have the same issue with the "baked-on" brake dust on my VX wheels. For mine the damage has gone through the clearcoat and paint, so there is nothing that will bring them back to their OEM beauty without some stripping of the wheels and some new paint.

I might do a how-to on this very topic since I'll be picking up a set of painted black VX wheels tomorrow for winter tires. (For a great deal of $125 with good tires! YAYA)

smccall 11-22-2007 04:57 AM

Guys, please try some brillo pads. This stuff works wonders and will get all of that black crud out of there. I went to the dollar store and bought a the cheap brillo pads, not the name brand BRILLO ones. When I picked up my VX, the wheels had all of the black dust on them and one wheel was almost completely black on the inside. I started off using a sponge with the green hard side. That worked a little but didn't get all of it. I tried the pad and the wheels look new. No damage Try it

4bfox 11-22-2007 04:56 PM

Thanks....I already tried the sponge, with the same results. Will try generic "Brillo" pads and report on results.

Danronian 11-22-2007 06:50 PM

I'll try the brillo pads on mine, though I think I tried them before on my wheels, and it didn't do thing...

smccall 11-23-2007 04:40 AM

You didn't use any elbow grease Dan! lol

GasSavers_vxhatch 11-28-2007 12:02 PM

After trying an "all wheels" cleaner with limited success, I bought an etching wheel cleaner for non-clearcoated wheels. Along with a stiff bristle brush, it worked great, removed all unsightly brake dust residue and didn't damage the clearcoat. YMMV

Doug