Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (Off-Topic) (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Are you a believer in Peak Oil theory? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f22/are-you-a-believer-in-peak-oil-theory-6891.html)

Peakster 11-26-2007 06:50 PM

Are you a believer in Peak Oil theory?

With crude oil prices almost certainly penetrating the $100(US) a barrel mark sooner than later and gasoline selling at about $4.062 a gallon ($1.069 a litre) in Winnipeg Canada... in November (which should be the time of year gas prices are at their lowest) I was wondering if there are believers in the Peak Oil theory on this forum.

Does you think peak oil exists? Is it a hoax? If it does exist, when will we reach it and encounter the negative effects? Have we already reached it? How do you foresee the future of petroleum usage in our future? Do you feel this rise in oil prices will come down drastically in the future?

Poll is private (your name won't be shown with your selection) and thread open to discussion.

GasSavers_TomO 11-26-2007 06:59 PM

I believe that there is a finite amount of naturally occurring oil. I don't know if we've reached the peak yet, but that doesn't mean we should stop conserving it as much as we can.

The sooner we can ween ourselves of the old dinosaurs, the better.

skewbe 11-26-2007 07:05 PM

Demand continues to increase but the dinosaurs died off long ago. If we are not at peak oil, we will be soon.

It would be an extremely poor bet to gamble our civilization on the oil fairies making oil forever.

omgwtfbyobbq 11-26-2007 07:12 PM

Shoot, we've been burning as much as possible as fast as possible. I would hope we could at least see a peak in conventional reserves after a century or so.

trebuchet03 11-26-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

If it does exist, when will we reach it and encounter the negative effects?
When? After we pass it, of course :p

-------

Personally, the Peak oil theory passes a priori criteria - and the theory itself is capable of being backed up by data. And there's evidence of it in small scale production.

Of course, living in a western civilization - I'm more likely to believe in it because our geologists follow the biogenic (fossil fuel) theory of oil production. Which is really where it comes down to. If you believe there is a finite amount of oil (biogenic oil production) - there's an obvious peak when consumption is high enough. If you believe in abiogenic production - no peak, perpetual supply (perhaps not fast enough to support demand).

skewbe 11-26-2007 07:31 PM

This is something to take seriously folks. It takes about 10 calories of fossil fuels to make 1 calorie of FOOD!

cfg83 11-26-2007 07:32 PM

Peakster -

Yup, but I think the $100/barrel is also a function of the collapsing value of the dollar.

CarloSW2

cfg83 11-26-2007 07:36 PM

trebuchet03 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 83874)
When? After we pass it, of course :p

-------

Personally, the Peak oil theory passes a priori criteria - and the theory itself is capable of being backed up by data. And there's evidence of it in small scale production.

Of course, living in a western civilization - I'm more likely to believe in it because our geologists follow the biogenic (fossil fuel) theory of oil production. Which is really where it comes down to. If you believe there is a finite amount of oil (biogenic oil production) - there's an obvious peak when consumption is high enough. If you believe in abiogenic production - no peak, perpetual supply (perhaps not fast enough to support demand).

Are you talking about the Russian theory that oil is being created by geologic forces (i.e. tectonic movement and stuff)? I like the idea of it but I don't have the smarts to judge it one way or another.

CarloSW2

trebuchet03 11-26-2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 83877)
trebuchet03 -

Are you talking about the Russian theory that oil is being created by geologic forces (i.e. tectonic movement and stuff)? I like the idea of it but I don't have the smarts to judge it one way or another.

CarloSW2

Yep - it's not only the Russians though... The thing is, they've allegedly been putting their theory in practice to find huge domestic reserves. The problem is, western geologists all but laughed at their geologists when they wanted to share information on their theories etc. So now Russia et. al. isn't willing to say anything.

omgwtfbyobbq 11-26-2007 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 83875)
This is something to take seriously folks. It takes about 10 calories of fossil fuels to make 1 calorie of FOOD!

True, but most of those fossil fuels aren't oil. Also why I get irritated whenever I see the "omgz im on mah bikez saving the werldz1" line. I suppose one of these days I'll mature and accept that attitude, just stop caring, something else, or some combo.