Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   The Green Machine is dead (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/the-green-machine-is-dead-6902.html)

repete86 11-27-2007 05:48 PM

The Green Machine is dead

I was driving down the highway, and a metal bar of some kind was flug up into the engine bay and completely destroyed by tranny, which then destroyed my motor. I'm just going without a gar for now, but am looking into getting a Yaris or something. Whatever I get, it will be a cheap econobox.

ajohnmeyer 11-27-2007 06:14 PM

sorry to hear about your accord, I guess the good part is that you're now free to experiment with another vehicle that you couldn't experiment with before.
Some cool FE cars that I can think of right off the top of my head are:
CRX
83ish? Mazda b2200 diesel
old TDI's and golfs, rabbits, etc.

trebuchet03 11-27-2007 06:17 PM

Wow, that must have been one nasty impact... Poor luck :/

Will insurance cover any of this?

repete86 11-27-2007 06:22 PM

Nope, insurance doesn't cover it. With regards to getting a diesel, I'm thinking about it, but I'm traveling more and more for work, and am getting sick of older cars dying on me. So far I've been lucky and have never had a problem out of town, but I'm afraid that I'm going to really be trying my luck if I get another old car, so I'm looking for a newish car with enough room for all of my gear. Until I can afford another car, I'm borrowing my parent's car when I need to haul my gear, but am biking most of the time.

Hockey4mnhs 11-27-2007 06:44 PM

Wow thats a bummer. That car put up some awesome #'s its a shame its gone.

omgwtfbyobbq 11-27-2007 06:50 PM

Get a diesel VeeDub and go dd'ing for fuel. :thumbup:

CoyoteX 11-27-2007 07:02 PM

File a claim with the DOT for not having the road clean and maintained :)

Might sound stupid but it is possible to make them repair or at least total the car and pay you for damages. I am sure every state is different but in WV it is just fill a form out and usually 6months to a year for a hearing about it then you get a check a few weeks later if you get it.

repete86 11-27-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq (Post 84033)
Get a diesel VeeDub and go dd'ing for fuel. :thumbup:

I'm thinking about it. The only problem is that I'm traveling more and more for work, and am moving in the next few months. I unfortunately need something more reliable at the moment. Once I'm settled in I'll probably look into getting a second car for the veggie conversion.

omgwtfbyobbq 11-27-2007 07:34 PM

Shoot, ain't nothing more reliable than a MK1, so long as ya know how to fix it. ;)

Erdrick 11-27-2007 07:37 PM

repete86: I can tell you one thing. I am never driving with you. You must have the worst luck on this board man. First you are in a car that flips over, and now this. I would be contemplating the presence of higher forces if I were you. Man, you are just lucky that the rod chose your engine bay rather than your windshield.

If you are looking for a cheap car, I wouldn't go for any of the TDIs. They tend to hold their value a lot better than your typical gasser. I personally own one, and I paid what I consider to be a pretty penny for it. Then again, these cars don't just die on you if you keep up on the scheduled maintenance. You can also expect more than 300k miles out of them. If I remember correctly, you are into dumpster diving, so that might work for you too.