Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Car Reviews (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   How about a Saturn? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f30/how-about-a-saturn-6903.html)

diamondlarry 11-28-2007 03:24 PM

For best FE, you want a SOHC 5-speed. The reason is that the DOHC cars have transmissions with lower gears and the revs at highway go up by 500-600 rpm's. If you were going to get a DOHC you would want to swap in a tranny from a SOHC.

skewbe 11-28-2007 03:32 PM

If you wind up with a DOHC, you can also do just a 5th gear swap Like carloSW2 (can be done in car in short order): https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....;225th+gear%22

It would help out on the hiway anyway.

lovemysan 11-28-2007 07:07 PM

The wagons are a something of a cult classic. There well loved, especially the 5 speeds. Wait patiently for a smoking good deal. The only disadvantage a wagon has is a slightly higher CD. .36 compared to the .31 of the sedan.

cfg83 11-28-2007 07:52 PM

diamondlarry -

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondlarry (Post 84202)
For best FE, you want a SOHC 5-speed. The reason is that the DOHC cars have transmissions with lower gears and the revs at highway go up by 500-600 rpm's. If you were going to get a DOHC you would want to swap in a tranny from a SOHC.

Yes, I think any S*1 SOHC would be your best setup. Check to see that it doesn't have power steering (maybe that's a given with the S*1s?).

The other day in a parking lot I saw a grey SL1 with stickshift and UNPAINTED bumpers. I actually *want* unpainted bumpers because that's a sign of a barebones Satty.

CarloSW2

OdieTurbo 11-29-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 84244)
diamondlarry -

Yes, I think any S*1 SOHC would be your best setup. Check to see that it doesn't have power steering (maybe that's a given with the S*1s?).

The other day in a parking lot I saw a grey SL1 with stickshift and UNPAINTED bumpers. I actually *want* unpainted bumpers because that's a sign of a barebones Satty.

CarloSW2

All Saturns came with power steering from what I've learned. Unpainted bumpers on 2000's an up aren't available. The SL and SL1 came with painted bumpers from 2000 on.

As to SOHC vs DOHC, yes, get the SOHC for FE. As for a 5-speed, be careful, 2000 and 2001 had issues with a Quill Bearing. Had to have my tranny rebuilt twice for $1,100 each. Ouch. Auto's have the same top gear ratio as manuals too.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

diamondlarry 11-29-2007 12:57 PM

My first Saturn('97 SL1) didn't have power steering.

skewbe, thanks for the tip on the 5th gear swap. My son may be interested in doing this swap. He was pulling 60+ tanks this past summer. With this swap he may get close to 70.

lovemysan 11-29-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 84329)
All Saturns came with power steering from what I've learned. Unpainted bumpers on 2000's an up aren't available. The SL and SL1 came with painted bumpers from 2000 on.

As to SOHC vs DOHC, yes, get the SOHC for FE. As for a 5-speed, be careful, 2000 and 2001 had issues with a Quill Bearing. Had to have my tranny rebuilt twice for $1,100 each. Ouch. Auto's have the same top gear ratio as manuals too.

Really, well I was kinda worried about this. I wonder if the 02 is better or if we just haven't heard about them failing yet.

BumblingB 11-29-2007 04:32 PM

I had a SW2 with an auto tranny. This was back in my days of VERY aggressive driving. I fried the tranny in 12k miles. :( I just "gave away!", yes GAVE AWAY! three weeks ago an '01 SL2. Had a front pump seal leak, I didn't feel like pulling the motor to fix it - it also had a VERY leaky sunroof. My brother gave me the car because he knew I was capable of fixing it though I told him what I was going to do with it - steal the leather seats for the street rod. In the end, I didn't have the heart for it. A buddy only has gas guzzlers and drives 60 miles one way to work everyday so we gave it to him. We owed him one.

Also, back when I had my SW2 - had a screen name with SW2 in it - you wouldn't believe the gay guys that constantly PM'ed/IM'ed me! :eek: :confused: :thumbdown:

Quote:

Originally Posted by skewbe (Post 84204)
If you wind up with a DOHC, you can also do just a 5th gear swap Like carloSW2 (can be done in car in short order): https://www.gassavers.org/showthread....;225th+gear%22

It would help out on the hiway anyway.

cfg83 11-29-2007 06:14 PM

OdieTurbo -

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdieTurbo (Post 84329)

Yes, the infamous quill bearing. I was quoted $1800 at the Saturn Dealer, so I went "into the wilderness" and found my mechanic on the advice of a good friend. He did it for $1100. If I hadn't found him, I would have probably switched to a new car.

It sucks have no car-mechanic skillz, :mad: .

CarloSW2

cfg83 11-29-2007 06:17 PM

Wazabi -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wazabi Owner (Post 84376)

Also, back when I had my SW2 - had a screen name with SW2 in it - you wouldn't believe the gay guys that constantly PM'ed/IM'ed me! :eek: :confused: :thumbdown:

Oh great. Haven't been PM'd yet. At least at the Saturn site, it makes sense. The wifey is gonna laugh her butt off when I tell her.

CarloSW2