Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Disabling the EGR (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/disabling-the-egr-6907.html)

trollbait 11-28-2007 11:49 AM

Disabling the EGR

I've read of disabling the EGR system on deisels here to increase fuel economy, and I just saw in recommended on another site for a gasser.

How does this help out with FE?
What happens to emmissions when the EGR is disabled?

omgwtfbyobbq 11-28-2007 11:51 AM

Won't help much if at all for a gasser unless it's a very old or malfunctioning system. It doesn't even help w/ some diesels since the manufacturer will just pull timing to reduce emissions IIRC...

Daox 11-28-2007 01:06 PM

Unless you have a way of tricking the ECU, you'll get the check engine light on if you remove the EGR. Its not always a simple thing to do. As for the mileage, I don't think you'll see much of an increase at all.

VetteOwner 11-28-2007 01:53 PM

well mine musta been messed up cuz i puleld ti and instantly got 4 more mpg...and yes the CEL light is on...but doesnt affect anything(obd1 system)

trebuchet03 11-28-2007 02:04 PM

Emissions will go to crap.... And by crap, I mean more deadly.

VetteOwner 11-28-2007 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebuchet03 (Post 84186)
Emissions will go to crap.... And by crap, I mean more deadly.

i dunno i cough alot if i get a good whiff of my cars fumes...no egr no cat, full carbed... gets suckedinto the cabin from somewhere if i have the window cracked..:confused:

dkjones96 11-28-2007 02:40 PM

How does removing the EGR increase economy?

One of the reasons behind EGR being in an engine is that it helps economy at part throttle by lowering manifold vacuum a few inches and reduces pumping losses on the freeway and putting around town. Helping emissions is also what it does but it plays a role in what this whole forum is about.

trebuchet03 11-28-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 84188)
i dunno i cough alot if i get a good whiff of my cars fumes...no egr no cat, full carbed... gets suckedinto the cabin from somewhere if i have the window cracked..:confused:

I was mostly referring to the long term health effects...

Cost Billions of Dollars for Illness and Death
49% NOx emissions from motor vehicles ('98)

DrivenByNothing 11-28-2007 03:21 PM

You guys would be surprised by how infrequently the EGR is used. It only opens during specific throttle ranges and is almost always during highway use.

A lot of the 240sx guys would remove the EGR and install a block-off plate in an attempt to achieve better performance. It's just not open enough to make that big of a difference.

Of course, this may be false in reference to diesels. I'm not sure. However, I do believe it's illegal to tamper with emissions controls, so that'd be another deterrent.

VetteOwner 11-28-2007 09:45 PM

lol illegal smegal. what they cant see they dont know...

yea i took my trucks off and cut a steel plate and bolted that down. the chevettes is still there, just been plugged.