Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Short Ram intake == Warm Air? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/short-ram-intake-warm-air-6910.html)

GasSavers_Minger 11-28-2007 06:49 PM

Short Ram intake == Warm Air?

Out of curiosity, would it achieve the same purpose?

Ant I know this is going to be a bad question, but how are eBay parts...I see a short ram for 20, but common sense screams not to get it :D

DrivenByNothing 11-28-2007 07:30 PM

The ebay intakes aren't too bad. It's pretty hard to screw up metal tubing as long as they get the bends right.

They're using 'ram air' for marketing. In reality, you're right about it bringing in hot air. The hot air is less dense which means that EFI will inject less fuel, so I guess it'd make sense for FE.

Danronian 11-28-2007 07:52 PM

I had one on my VX and I found the powerband wasn't very smooth compared to with the OEM intake. It was also much louder, and my car warmed up in twice as long since the factory one pulls all the air from the engine bay instead of the unsealed short-ram which can pull the air from wherever it is hit with flow.

kamesama980 11-29-2007 09:47 AM

except that most often car manufacturers sacrifice real world FE or real world speed/performance for paper HP and emissions ratings. That's why you CAN improve power and mileage over stock with intake pipes, headers, exhaust work.

Yes, you'll hear more induction noise (hissing under load) and more than that, it depends on the specific kit vs your stock setup. some can barely be improved upon, some are terrible

GasSavers_Minger 11-29-2007 10:55 AM

Well, then...food for though, as it looks like Im going to be stuck with this civic for another 2 years... you guys think it would be a good idea to get a cheap one, and if so..now, or wait until it warms up to do so?

kickflipjr 11-29-2007 04:30 PM

I short ram intake probably will not improve mpg because the car will be getting my air and wasting more gas to keep everything at an equal ratio. Plus 3" tubing will not help wind speed velocity at all. A "whale penis" might show some improvement.

I doubt vx intake tubes are compatible with a 2004 civic, but for earlier year civics switching to a vx tube would show improvement (along with power loss under high load).

DrivenByNothing 11-29-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 84375)
I short ram intake probably will not improve mpg because the car will be getting my air and wasting more gas to keep everything at an equal ratio. Plus 3" tubing will not help wind speed velocity at all. A "whale penis" might show some improvement.

I'm sorry, but that didn't make any sense to me.

ZugyNA 11-30-2007 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickflipjr (Post 84375)
A "whale penis" might show some improvement.

WARNING! Obtaining one of these might be a hazardous undertaking. The whale might object...and you'll get all wet.