Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/mr-toads-wild-ride-7073.html)

caveatipse 12-18-2007 06:20 AM

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

When I lived in Cincinnati, a very hilly city, for a few months all I could afford was a Tomos moped, so I rode my little 49cc single cylinder moped all around Cincinnati. Going up hills was hilarious (I am a big guy) and it would almost stop. But man, once I got on level ground and then down hills, it was ridiculous lol. I would zoom down at 60mph or more, getting better than 100 mpg. But even averaging up and down hills, I got a good 70 mpg consistently. What a strange experience.

maxxgraphix 12-18-2007 06:23 AM

Those are illegal now to ride on the road. And if it's over 50cc then you need a MC license, insurance, tags etc.. Also you must be over 18 and already have a valid DL.

Yep, anything good, cheap and fun is being taken away.

caveatipse 12-18-2007 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxxgraphix (Post 86264)
Those are illegal now to ride on the road. And if it's over 50cc then you need a MC license, insurance, tags etc.. Also you must be over 18 and already have a valid DL.

Yep, anything good, cheap and fun is being taken away.

I know...way overregulated...in many countries most people just get a moped or motorcycle..even children lol..I wish we were a little more relaxed in the US

GasSavers_Ryland 12-19-2007 08:20 AM

In what state are mopeds illeagle in? I know that kick scooters with engines are illeagle to use on the roads but from what I can tell reading MopedArmy.com mopeds are still leagle in all 50 states, and most countries, but it must be sold as vehicle that is licensed for road use, this meens they have to passed noise requirments, exaust emitions test, have head light, tail light, brake light (mopeds still don't require turn signals in any state that I know of, but they are a good idea), and a Certificate Of Title (vehicle title), I bought my Tomos thru a friend who is now a lisended Tomos dealer, and they have about 10 different modles of mopeds and motorscooters (titled as mopeds) avalible.
Does your Tomos have the automatic two speed? if you haven't done it already, you might switch to synthetic tranny fluid, I think the use type F, but don't quote me on that, insted do a quick search on MopedArmy.com, when I switched to synthetic it shifted smoother, and went faster, it's a simple tranny, two centrifugal clutches and a few freewheels.

caveatipse 12-19-2007 02:20 PM

My Tomos had autop 2 speed yes.

DarbyWalters 12-19-2007 03:06 PM

Nothing less that a 150cc can travel the interstates and "proper" moped are still legal

GasSavers_Ryland 12-19-2007 05:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that for the interstate 250cc is the smallest allowed, at least that is the case in wisconsin.

VetteOwner 12-19-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caveatipse (Post 86267)
I know...way overregulated...in many countries most people just get a moped or motorcycle..even children lol..I wish we were a little more relaxed in the US

cuz those other countries are either A: way to expensive to own a car B: tiny streets that are twisty where almost all of US cars would get wedged so moped or small car is practical C: no space to accually get up to speed D: so crowded dont knwo why you wouldnt want a moped

here in the US: HUGE roads, LOTS of room, not that many people per mile?, can pick up cars for under $100 and license, tag and insure it for less than $300... d riverse license cost what? $20? other countries its $200 just for the license!

caveatipse 12-20-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteOwner (Post 86489)
cuz those other countries are either A: way to expensive to own a car B: tiny streets that are twisty where almost all of US cars would get wedged so moped or small car is practical C: no space to accually get up to speed D: so crowded dont knwo why you wouldnt want a moped

here in the US: HUGE roads, LOTS of room, not that many people per mile?, can pick up cars for under $100 and license, tag and insure it for less than $300... d riverse license cost what? $20? other countries its $200 just for the license!

True true.