Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself - New member Welcome (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hello, tracking my '96 Saturn for MPG! (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f6/hello-tracking-my-96-saturn-for-mpg-7074.html)

Project84 12-18-2007 06:37 AM

Hello, tracking my '96 Saturn for MPG!

I've recently been turned on to the idea of saving money (a.k.a. I'm broke and need to spare myself!) so I looked to my daily driver, a '96 Saturn SL2, 1.9L DOHC automatic, as a means of doing so.

I'm implementing ideas like the (hot) air-intake, relocated intake air temp sensor, and keeping the maintenance on this vehicle in tip-top condition.

I'm here to learn, and report findings of my own.

I'm just starting out, so please be kind if I tend to ask lots of silly questions and send PM's to individuals reporting amazing mileage... I'm jealous... lend me a hand!

-John

DarbyWalters 12-18-2007 08:47 AM

Well I know why you are low on funds...RACING BUDGET! That will drain ya'

GasSavers_SD26 12-18-2007 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarbyWalters (Post 86292)
Well I know why you are low on funds...RACING BUDGET! That will drain ya'

Um, yeah, it's that ALL of your money? LOL!

skewbe 12-18-2007 10:20 AM

my 97 sw2 was getting crummy mileage (mid 20s). I swapped in a stick shift so I could "hypermile" it. I get 50mpg without much effort (around town).

Project84 12-18-2007 11:14 AM

The worst part of being broke - winter SCCA downtime. My car was running is ESP and STX classes being essentially a stock car (exhaust mods put me in higher classes). I'm unwilling to remove performance adding exhaust parts (that I got when I bought the car) so I'm forced to modify more things to better fill out my shoes (if you will) in my advanced classes. Springs/shocks/sways, brakes, wheels/tires, clutch.

Sheesh.... lol

Once I sell this truck I'll have some play-money.

At that point, I might pick up a SOHC car, and if I do, it will be a MUST for it to be 5-speed. I had a '91 Laser 1.8L SOHC 5-speed that ran REALLY BAD and still managed 29mpg average. It was a sporty 2-door and the interior was so comfy. Nice cars for the MPG concerned crowd.

I've heard of people putting in the 1st Generation S-series 5-speed from the SOHC cars into the DOHC cars and getting 45mpg with ease. I'm so jealous. I know RWD. I don't know the first thing about swapping a transmission into a FWD car.

Looking forward to learning a lot here and preaching the choir to others once I'm a "veteran of FE".

brain106 12-26-2007 03:29 PM

try this

www.ffifuture.com

increase your mpg's by up to 50 or more per tank it really works and it is 100% organic. cleans your internal parts for fewer repairs(another money saver) and it reduces harmful emmissions 75%-85% so you won't have any smoke if you have it now . Increases performance too.
If you like it you can even become a distributor to help with the money shortage. This business is legit and growing fast. Only product of it's kind registered with the EPA.100% money back guarantee. Only $20.00 to try it.

Brain 106

Rick Rae 12-27-2007 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brain106 (Post 86908)
increase your mpg's by up to 50 or more per tank it really works and it is 100% organic.

Thanks, but excluding a few newcomers we already know about MPG-CAPs and the FFI MLM setup.

I know it can be difficult to make money in an MLM. I suggest you spend your time and effort pushing FFI where you might actually build your downline or make some sales. Neither are likely to happen here.

Rick

DarbyWalters 12-27-2007 09:00 AM

ESP...so you are Auto-Xing. Real money comes with Road Racing. You can still Auto-X cheap if you keep travel down. Maybe get with another "money strapped" Auto-Xer and share a ride.

I would still think a Saturn Wagon with Auto could get some decent mpg...just have to relearn your street driving techniques.