Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   General Fuel Topics (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Value of 94 VX? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f8/value-of-94-vx-7198.html)

roadsterbum 01-04-2008 10:45 AM

Value of 94 VX?

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and interested in purchasing a Civic VX. I currently drive an 88 CRX HF, and I'm looking to 'upgrade'. I don't know the VX's value too well, so any help would be much appreciated.

The car I'm checking out tomorrow is a '94, 2-owner car with 75k miles. The description says it's in great condition. The seller wants $4200. Would you say this is a good deal?

Also, is there anything specific to the VX I should look out for? Thanks in advance!!

Danny

GasSavers_TomO 01-04-2008 11:08 AM

VX Buying Guide
That is a sort of guide to go through when purchasing a VX. It has some good info elsewhere on my site as well.

Welcome to the board as well. you'll find some great info here.

As far as paying $4200 for a 94 VX with less than 80K miles...I'd probably do it as long as you keep the CRX for a while. I'd keep the CRX around so taht you can get the maintenance and little fixes that you'll want to get done to teh VX out of the way right away with no down time in commuting.

bones33 01-04-2008 11:55 AM

In washington state that would be a pretty fair deal if it's in good shape.
The VX is holding value or increasing in value. Hard to find, they are preferred by the rice gang for the lightweight, and by the green crowd for the high FE potential.

Good luck!

maxxgraphix 01-04-2008 12:08 PM

Depends on the body. The motor is only worth $400. If it has rusty wheel wells and other body dings / scratches / fair interior it's now a $1500 car. High miles and it's worth $900. At $4200 it better be show room. Just use https://www.kbb.com for used car values. A non rusted rolling chasis with interior is worth about a grand. If you want to build one you just need a CX body and a full D15Z1 swap. About $1800 and one weekend plus a buddy and beer.

Around here the tuner shops sell the D15Z1 motors and trans for metal scrap.

The VX body is only about 200lbs lighter. The big difference is the Lean burn motor and trans.

1993CivicVX 01-04-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mad pup (Post 87558)
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, and interested in purchasing a Civic VX. I currently drive an 88 CRX HF, and I'm looking to 'upgrade'. I don't know the VX's value too well, so any help would be much appreciated.

The car I'm checking out tomorrow is a '94, 2-owner car with 75k miles. The description says it's in great condition. The seller wants $4200. Would you say this is a good deal?

Also, is there anything specific to the VX I should look out for? Thanks in advance!!

Danny

I have to wonder how much a '94 vehicle has been sitting to have so few miles. Something you might want to think about--not sure what the deal is with sitting cars but I've heard that it's not the greatest thing and can be a mechanical can of worms so to speak. Maybe see what the guy has to say about it.

As for any specific thing to look out for--the 02 sensor replacement is $450--so you should find out its condition.

GasSavers_Ryland 01-05-2008 07:04 AM

I would take along $3,000, or at least have it avalible in cash befor going to look at the car, $4,200 is high, but if the body is solid and straigt, the engine bay clean, the inside clean without rips or stains, and it has had the timing belt, water pump, and o2 sensor replaced, then offer them something like $3,000 maybe even $3,500, but it's time for the timing belt to be changed, that will cost you $300-500 if you pay someone else to do it, and o2 sensor can cost from $170-300 just for the part.
basicly, figure out what you would be willing to pay for a car with those miles if it had perfect matence records, and if it needs work done knock the cost of that work done by someone else, off the price you are willing to pay.

92VX 01-05-2008 12:42 PM

I think that price is OK as long as the car has zero issues.

panamacolin 01-05-2008 06:29 PM

snap some pics...I paid 3200 for my 1995 with 96k on it...worth every penny in my opinion.

If its perfect id pay fulll price..

smccall 01-07-2008 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 87639)
I would take along $3,000, or at least have it avalible in cash befor going to look at the car, $4,200 is high, but if the body is solid and straigt, the engine bay clean, the inside clean without rips or stains, and it has had the timing belt, water pump, and o2 sensor replaced, then offer them something like $3,000 maybe even $3,500, but it's time for the timing belt to be changed, that will cost you $300-500 if you pay someone else to do it, and o2 sensor can cost from $170-300 just for the part.
basicly, figure out what you would be willing to pay for a car with those miles if it had perfect matence records, and if it needs work done knock the cost of that work done by someone else, off the price you are willing to pay.

Like Ryland said, I like the $3500 amount or even up to $3750 if everything checks out. $4200 is his/her asking price but not the definite final selling price. negotiate it down.

92VX 01-07-2008 05:03 PM

Did you buy the car?

Let me know if you pass on the car, that is extremely low mileage for a '94.