Fuelly Forums

Fuelly Forums (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/)
-   Hypermiling (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/)
-   -   Anyone ever get tired of Hypermiling for a day? (https://www.fuelly.com/forums/f33/anyone-ever-get-tired-of-hypermiling-for-a-day-7288.html)

DarbyWalters 01-13-2008 05:50 PM

Anyone ever get tired of Hypermiling for a day?

Sometimes...like today...I just feel like enjoying the ride without concentrating on throttle position/coasting/timing lights/speed/ect. It seems to happen every couple of months or so:thumbdown: :thumbup: :confused:

Hateful 01-13-2008 06:28 PM

The only part I tire of is being tailgated. Recently I did take a 120mile round trip on 65 and 70 mph highways just doing the speed limit steadily. I still got tailgated. I averaged 41mpg as I had gotten 44mpg on the same trip before using the hypermiling techniques. This was the beginning of my last fill-up and it's been dropping since back in town doing only short trips from light to light. coming on the final 1/4 tank I'm kinda wishing I'd gotten the extra 3mpg when it was more easily obtained. I never tire of timing light because I get no pleasure out of stopping. Tank has already dropped to 34mpg. I might not be as upset about it if I didn't have the ScanGauge in front of me.

JanGeo 01-13-2008 06:38 PM

I took off last weekend for a quick 2 mile run down the road and floored it in first to 6k rpm. The engine was already warmed up but the interesting thing was as I was going down the road after that the trip average was already in the 40's mpg and I was getting an instant of 50-60mpg. Seems the little first gear blast loosened up the engine a bit. The last two tanks have really dropped - not sure if it was the lack of acetone use or not but I put 4oz in the tank after I drove 20 miles back from the fillup. One interesting thing I notice is that after hypermiling for a while, the little blast of throttle sure seems to be a little more powerful than expected. I know a lot of guys that keep wanting more power in the xB and I can't see why they need more.

usedgeo 01-13-2008 07:26 PM

Yes, I get tired of it sometimes. I just hypermile one car really hard and drive the others more normally.
I hypermile the silver one with the mods. The green one I just drive sort of normal. My wife's car I drive normal. This gives me breaks from working too hard at it. I have admitted before that I use the silver one on trips where I know I can do better.

kamesama980 01-13-2008 08:53 PM

yep. could times a week I just floor it to 80 merging into the highway. stick shift (and my car in general) is just too much fun. maybe not a couple times a week but I don't avoid the tall pedal much in traffic

landspeed 01-13-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 88451)
yep. could times a week I just floor it to 80 merging into the highway. stick shift (and my car in general) is just too much fun. maybe not a couple times a week but I don't avoid the tall pedal much in traffic

One advantage of hypermiling, and of having instant FE feedback, is that you can do extreme things, while still maintaing good FE. In my last Bluebird (the turbo one), I had been known to do 0-85 with full throttle, but then I would make that up by hypermiling more extremely once on a more quiet stretch of road :) It lets you choose when to waste fuel - and also stops you 'giving up' after some bad driving, since you see that you can still recover your FE afterwards.

Erdrick 01-14-2008 03:53 AM

Nope... I am hardcore. Never letup -- ever. I drive all cars to the max. I just enjoy hypermiling. The one thing I have to admit, is to using the heat. Mornings here are a bit too cold to drive to work w/o heat.

DarbyWalters 01-14-2008 06:10 AM

I quess the "antithesis" to this would be most people that drive without regard to MPG and "one day" every once in a while...they strive for MPG...

I would rather be on our side of the fence...and just eat chocolate on special days...

baddog671 01-14-2008 06:56 AM

One time I gave it everything I had for an entire tank and got 78mpg, but I was soo burnt out that I didnt put much effort into the next two tanks. Some techniques have become natural to me now (like EOCing in certain spots that offer huge gains) but the tedious things are still hard to deal with.

And this cold weather just wants me to get from point A to point B asap.

oneinchsidehop 01-14-2008 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarbyWalters (Post 88435)
Sometimes...like today...I just feel like enjoying the ride without concentrating on throttle position/coasting/timing lights/speed/ect. It seems to happen every couple of months or so:thumbdown: :thumbup: :confused:

Almost everyday in the winter... I work nights and when I leave our (very) large parking lot is empty. If it snows you better believe I take a couple of hot laps through the parking lot.

a) I love driving
b) I love going sideways
c) I love being at the limit of adhesion under 30mph
d) I the decreased grip actually makes the stock setup in a car *close* to a well prepped track car for the conditions.
e)*most important* I know what conditions are like before I leave on my commute.

BTW, a stock Legacy wagon drifts pretty in the snow well using feints and toe stabs, my mileage has dropped @ .375mpg. It's worth it.:D